Thread: Fire Gear

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Gear

We are about to purchase new Structural Fire Gear. It looks like we may go with a company called FireGear. We are going to buy PBI. Anyone have any info on this company?

http://www.bacou-dalloz.ca/FireGear/index.html

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't tell you anything about the company, but we here at Charleston AFB do use their structural bunker gear. I like it very much. Ours is a PBI/Kevlar combination and even with the humidity of the south the gear is quite comfortable. The only downside that I personally don't care for is the zipper/velcro closure. I would much prefer a snapring/velcro closure, but this is just a peeve of mine. All around good gear in my humble opinion!
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

My department just recently purchased Firegear, and the 1st 12 sets went into service last week. We have yet to have a good 'job' to see how it pans out. No complaints from the members who got it.

What I would do though is talk to your sales rep about what is going on in Flint, Michigan. Firegear and Securitex belong to the same parent company (Bacou-Dalloz). Ask if your gear will have the 2F3 material that Flint has (we do).

I was told their gear was pulled from service and is being tested buy 2 or 3 third party companies to see if there was a glitch in the material. I'm still doing research and looking for follow ups with our sales rep of what is going on.

We have not pulled our gear from service. It sounds like our stuff is OK, but we are paying close attention to what is going on in Flint.

It is a lot lighter and thinner than the gear we have now, but no one has recieved new gear here in 6 or 7 years.

fieldseng2

MembersZone Subscriber

We are not getting 2F3. It is all PBI.

Please keep me posted on what you think of the gear. I too am watching to see what happens Flint, Michigan.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default GLOBE

I'd definately go for GLOBE GX-7. Best gear for the buck. Just make sure you do your homework. This is a big investment make sure your buying the best that your budget will allow.

Please email me: mbosse@tycoint.com

Thanks

AS far as Structural gear goes, I have worn Globe, Janesville, and Morning Pride. Morning pride is pricy, but the benifits far outweigh the cost. Far less fatigue, and much greater comfort. Besides, TOG is not a place you want to cut corners.

My department uses FireGear. We have had no problems with them. Ours is PBI also. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.
    These opinions are my own, not of my company or my affiliates

2 in, 2 Out, Pass on, Collar up, SHOW TIME!

FireGear brand was designed by Peter Wirth who was Chief of Aspen FD. The design is quite unique and will allow you to incorporate total upper torso thermal enhancment as an option. Take a look at it - its pretty interesting gear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wasn't the Securitex stuff in question dyed blue? I wonder if something in that process messed up the integrity of the fabric. At least Securitex seems to be handling it well, though if they didn't, with all of the exposure on Firehouse, they'd be hurting themselves quite badly.

To answer myself, this was in the latest story on the main page... "The gear the department then purchased was supposed to be exactly the same, except that they tested brown coats and ordered navy blue. Within a week, however, a difference in quality appeared to surface.

We've used Securitex for a few years, mainly due to our ability to piggyback on a large city department's bid spec and get a fantastic price. The only problems we've had were some guys blistering their knees at a recent fire school, but this was after multiple evolutions with wet gear. My biggest complaint with the product has been with the local sales rep, but calling the factory to gripe really gets results. Trust me..

Our last order was done to the firefighter's personal preference regarding clasps or zippers. Some wanted zippers, as they had on their older gear, others went with clasps. I like zippers a lot on the trousers, but for a coat, I'm not too sure.

-Joel

Thread Information