Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Yes you have. : No you have not.

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 100.00%
  • No Not Yet

0 0%
  • May Switch to Digital

0 0%
  • No Will Never

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Question How many departments are to switching digital cameras?

Just wondering. How many departments are switching to digital cameras?

And if you have had any negative experiences.

none
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default Re: How many departments are to switching digital cameras?

Originally posted by DarkCAt
    Just wondering. How many departments are switching to digital cameras?

And if you have had any negative experiences.
    With digitals, you don't have to worry about negatives

We got three kodak digitals and a printer dock through a grant from Walmart. Keep on in frontline engine, frontline ambulance, and with the printer dock, you don't need to attach the camera to a computer or download pictures to a computer to print. You just set the camera in the printer in the dock and print.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

The only problem I have with our digital camera is the Chiefs forget to use it at scenes!

Check out Weruj's department website for all the cool shots you can get with a digital camera: www.rossfordfire.com
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber WTFDChief730's Avatar

LOL !!...Ok,Ok,Ok Moe, Hey I'm getting better at remembering to get the good action shots. Next time we have a working fire and your on the nozzle, I'm going to tell you to wait and wave at the digtal camera before you go in, or on the other thought, since you made the comment we forget all the time, I'll pull you off the nozzle to be the official WTFD fireground photographer..LOL

I've read that digital cameras are not recommended to use during arson investigations or other crime scene type stuff, its too easy to alter a digital photo with all the easy to use photo editing programs on PC's.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Since George Wendt isn't around the forums anymore, I guess I'll put in my $.02.

Actually, there haven't been any cases in the US court system disallowing digital photos. I've done all kinds of research, talked to many different agencies/jurisdictions, and I've not found, nor has anyone ever been able to give me a case citation where they've been thrown out. One of the first things they do with photos is ask you if they are a true and accurate representation of the scene (or whatever the subject) at the time the photograph was taken whether it was digital or film. Regardless of the medium, any attempts at tampering with a photo is the same as tampering with any other evidence, and the consequences aren't good.

Many agencies are going to digital photography since the storage medium is cheap, no precessing fees, pictures are easily printed/reproduced, and they can be easily inserted into reports and Power Point presentations for courtroom testimony.

Modern equipment has an incredible quality. Personally, I use a Sony Mavica CD 1000 that uses mini-CD's to store the pictures on. After the disk is full (about 150 pics depending on resolution) it's "finalized", and the disk can be stored in the case file. I usually make a copy of the pics CD for my working file, so if it's lost or damaged, I've still got the originals available, and I just make another copy. My CD 1000 is pretty much outdated (and worn out)at 2.1 megapixels, but they've got a new model (CD 500) that's smaller and snaps at 5 megapixels. If you shop around, you can find them for under $500.

There are other models out there, but I find the CD storage to be perfect for what I do.
    Last edited by Steamer; 03-17-2004 at 03:04 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

We use a mix both both digital and regular photographs. We keep polaroids on both ambulances and also on the engine, and also have a 35mm on the 1st out ambulances. The Firefighters Association also purchased a Sony Mavica a few yers ago that we do use for pictures at scenes, and it works OK (uses 3.5 floppy disks). The quality isn't as good for printing, but not too bad.

I personally have a Kodak 4330 that works great.

Ron, I was told the same thing about digital cameras when they first came out, but after talking to one of your investigators from TFRD (sorry, can't remember his name. I know he just retired within the last 2-3 years. Short guy) when he did an investigation for us, that's what he was using, digital. He said it doesn't matter now, since you can pretty much alter any pic with scanners and such.

As far as getting pics taken at scenes, we are getting better and try to remember to grab the digital before leaving the station. We also have 2 FD photographers that we gave pagers to and they are allowed to respond to all incidents that we are dispatched to and take pics/video tape of scenes. One is a retired Chief and the other is a former member who could no longer stay due to personal reasons. It has worked out great so far and we have gotten some pretty good pics from them. We are working on getting some IDs made for them and have ordered some reflective safety vests for them to wear for identification/protection.

I.D.ís are a good idea!
    Now that I think of it, If any of us had to respond to a major seen we have no way to identify our selfís if we half to drive to it in an unmarked vehicle.

We use both types of camera's. Mostly digital though...mainly due to the money aspect.

Moe,

Find you guys a retiree that will take photos...make them the Department Photographer. We recruited one of our guy's Dad..who just retired and he wanted something to keep busy with. And BOY do we keep him busy . Plus you should know a Camera is too complicated for a chief to operate.....Just Joking Guys
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

A action picture with Moe in it he is always at work when the work needs to be done at WTFD.

730 you will never get any pictures waiting for him. He only wants pictures to see what he missed.
    Last edited by lmrchief2; 03-25-2004 at 02:55 AM.
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by lmrchief2
    A action picture with Moe in it he is always at work when the work needs to be done at WTFD.

730 you will never get any pictures waiting for him. He only wants pictures to see what he missed.
    Especially for the next 28 days
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

We carry one camera on our rescue rig, and I always have my own with me when I go on responses.

The only problem I've ever experienced with the department camera is that someone might leave the smaller memory stick in (4 megs, virtually no room for pics) or the batteries might go while I'm trying to use it. That's been easily rectified by keeping the memory sticks and spare batteries in the box (a small Pelican case) with the camera.
    --jay.

Thread Information