Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default motorola radios pros and cons

Looking for your opinion of the motorola ht1000 or somthing similar transmit and recieve quality etc. Need to buy some new portables for our busy squad and need some info from real people.
    Last edited by nwadler; 03-17-2004 at 10:23 PM.

The HT1000's are a quality unit. Very dependable and used in all aspects of emergency services. I do believe though, Motorola is slowly phasing them out. I have a HT1250, and my FD has just upgraded all our rig and officer radios to the HT1250's. I have had mine for about 6 years now and have only had 1 problem with it. The 1250's have an LCD display which displays the channel you are on along with other features. The problem I had with it was the display went out after being out in freezing cold temps 18 hours a day for a week while we were doing a search/recovery. It was fixed (replaced I believe) and have not had a single problem with any portion of the radio since. The only thing I suggest...if you operate on a VHF band, and are in a rural area, have them give you the longer VHF antennas. Since the PL is a little more sensitive than older radios, it seemed to cut some weaker signals out. The options available on the HT1250 will assure you that it can be used for a while, even if you upgrade your radio system. You can get them with and without DTMF keypads. Around here we use the keypads to dial into the hospital, so the radios in our rescue unit and the ones the EMT's on the dept are issued have them.
    HT1250
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

I would smash an HT1250 to peices with a HT1000 or MT2000.

The MT2000 is a little more $$ than the HT1000 but has the LCD display. Very durable, great radio as far as TX/RX goes

The HT1000 is more or less the same but has not channel name display. It is a little cheaper but probably one of the most durable out there.

If you want to downgrade to poorer TX/RX and have a less durable radio not designed for public safety, buy the HT1250. [Ding ding ding... Round Two]
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Ok first things first

HT-1000/2000 good radio, I've been using them since 1995 never had a problem that wasn't related to the programmer of the radio. tough radio too.

Only problem is it isn't being made by motorola any more so in 5-10 years what is the replacement parts stock going to look like.

we just got in HT-750's about 3 years ago and it isn't a bad radio either. We have had a couple of problems with them but nothing warranty didn't fix. From what I know the 1250 is an upgrade of the 750 but, I've never used one so I can't say much.

I would say it's all a budget thing. Talk to your radio guy about features etc... he will get you the best bang for your buck

Also If you're close to MI and don't have a radio guy e-mail me at firespec35@aol.com I might be able to hook you up with a name.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Helluva Good Radio.......................

I have used HT 1000s since they came out. Great Radio! Problem is that they are too good! Motorola is or has stopped making them because they work well and last forever. True story. The telecommunications business stays in business by reinventing the wheel as often as possible, SO PEOPLE KEEP BUYING NEW STUFF. Motorola, IMHO, is nothing short of GREEDY with this corporate attitude. (as are the cell phone providers, but that's for another thread) Make your concerns known, email motorola and demand reliable products. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

sounds like I am bidding on a good thing then

I'm at work and have a HT 1000 on my hip as I type this. Here at the chemical plant where I work they have been using these HT 1000s for about a decade and they have held up through everything thrown at them. As long as you have a couple of spare batteries and quality smart chargers to keep them topped off you should have few problems.

I use a HT1250- great radio! Spent a night out in the pouring rain after a tornado hit in our area. the radio was completely soaked through and through. Still worked. Not real loud, but after I got home and allowed it to dry- not a single problem...don't like the external speaker (lapel mic) button configuration, though--you might broadcast things that are not intended for the general public to hear. LOL!! Used GP300, GP350 1225's 750s and 1250- Havent found a radio from Motorola I particularly don't like!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

I love the ht1000....Have used one since i became an officer..Never had problems with it..Great Unit...Durable and beleive me its been through a lot with me

Some Guy

The HT1000 was one of the best radios Motorola ever made. The nickname from Motorola was the “Jedi.” You can hammer nails with it. I work for one of Motorola largest dealers for batteries parts and accessories part time. Batteries and parts for that radio are some of are best sellers. At my department we just started using the HT1250. They are great radios and I recommend them. We have never had a problem with them.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

my Dept & squad switched over to the HT1250's not bad radios, they hold up pretty good. (except when a member dropped one in the water during a boat operation) other than that we've had no problems what soever with the radios. They hold of very well. we also have a few HT1000's floating around. They are a good radio also....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

My fire dept. currently uses the HT1000 for all on duty personnel, (22 FF). They are durable (Take a beating which we give them). My dept. is currently looking at giving every firefighter their own radio, 108 of em'. They are going to buy the 1250 because this what they can get. But the consenus is the 1000 is a better radio.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

1000's are good radios for sure ............we have had poor performance with the 3 1250's we bought and WILL NOT be buying them agian.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information