View Poll Results: Which frequency do you use?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Low Band

3 9.38%
  • VHF

19 59.38%
  • UHF

2 6.25%
  • 800Mhz

8 25.00%
    Master Firefighter

Default What portable radios does your service use

What type of radios do your service use.

Forum Member

Mostly use Motorolla ht1000 Portables.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Mostly Motorola, but we are taking bids for an entire set of new radios. I think Kenwood is going to be our next purchase.

Forum Member

Why the double post with the basically the same question. See you subject of your other post.

"motorola ht1000 pros and cons"

Most cities, counties and fire and police department use Motorola radios. Some uses other brands but the most is Motorola.

Their are some folks still using low band vhf, high band vhf, uhf 450 and now 800 and 900 digital.

If yor department is using a radio system, it is probably in one of the frequencies ranges that I have mention.

It really doesn't make a difference, as long as it works and causes no problems.

Be thankful that your department has portable radios. When I came on the job the only radio was on the apparatus!! Now every one has a radio. A lot of control must be taken now to ensure that member do not loose their radio and that every one does not try to talk all at one time. Only supervisors and commanders should be talking. The others should be listening.

Stay Safe & Well out there.......

Stay Safe & Well out there......

Forum Member

This pic shows what ours looks like, its not exact but similar. Ours also has the hand held mic, I think that was an added feature.

http://www.motorola.com/cgiss/portables/xts3500.shtml
    Last edited by backdraft663; 03-19-2004 at 07:20 AM.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

Bendix/King VHF portables and mobiles...the best radios ever made in my opinion.

Forum Member

Kenwood 90 series all the way with a few 30 series mobiles in the mix.

TK-690 & TK-630 for low band mobiles
    TK-890 & TK-830 for UHF mobiles
    TK-390 for UHF Portables

We have a few older midland low band portables but are rarely used. We also have a few older midland low bad mobiles in personal vehicles.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

For our department of 28 we have:

6 Bendix King hand me downs from DNRC MT. Cant recall off hand what model they are, the big old military/USFS/Fed Gov radios that are solid as a rock, programable, and damn hard to beat, but they are bulky and only are used on operations in radio pockets. A huge benefit for us on these units is the ability to use AA batteries in the clamshell clips. We have a lot of wildland incident, and we get out on some 21 day assignments to project fires and such. Without the ability to use regular batteries, coms would be very hampered. It is a pain in the but to charge rechargeable batteries from you 12v power socket.

2 old Motorola Visors for the Junior officers. Crapy radio, bad/quiet speaker, but small and nice to carry all day long.

3 Motorola HT1250s for the Chief and his 2 assistants, top o' the line radios, 100+ channels, excellent but pricy.

We have been having communication defficiencies and we are planning on getting 10-15 more radios since we are so spread out (rural fire district). We are strongly considering the new Motorola CP 200.

If anybody has any experience with the CP 200 please let me know.

Thanks
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Motorola HT1250 c/w dtmf pad. Great radio,I know NMFIRE might disagree with me but we have had great success with these radios. We just had a new TAIT repeater installed and have linked our whole radio system (ie. bylaw public works ambulance etc.) into a Zetron consul. Lots of bells and whistles to this new setup, haven't figured them all out yet though it is proveing to be interesting to say the least.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use p1225 for portables and m1225 for the trucks. We have had good luck with these. Personally I have just upgraded to the ht1250 and I love it. Especially since we can do the programming changes ourselves. SAMSON where are you at in Montana?

I know NMfire that these are not public safety radios.

MembersZone Subscriber

My volunteer department utilizes an 800Mhz radio system that all departments on the east side of our county use. Our portable radios are MTS-2000's with XTS-3000's being purchased now as a replacement. The mobiles are the MCS-2000's with the "New" Spectras being purchased now. The west side of the county has an 800Mhz system also utilizing the same radio types. The east side agencies have their back up channels on the west side system and the west county agencies have their back up channels on the east side system. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

My volunteer department's primary system is UHF. Right now we have a whole mess of different radios, which I'm trying to standardize.

We have a handful of Motorola HT600s, some MT1000s, and at least one or two of each batch is now dead and pointless to try to repair. We have HT1000s and MT2000s, the latter of which is my favorite for conventional ops. We also have HT750s, which I absolutely despise, and a few members have purchased personally-owned Kenwood TK380s off eBay on the cheap.

While we are on conventional UHF, I'd prefer to standardize with the MT2000 for now, so long as it's going to still be available from Motorola.

The career department I work with uses MTS2000s exclusively on their 800mhz trunked system. What can I say, they're Jedi-chassis radios (same as the MT2000). I've never really played with the XTS, but I get the feeling I will soon, because the rumor is the radio contract is up next year and they'll be switching to a new fleet of radios at that point.
    --jay.

Forum Member

We are paged out by 911 on VHF low band so all FFs are issued Minitor 2 pagers. The pages are simulcast over a Ma/Comm 800MHz Trunked radio system and all trucks are equipted with these radios to tell dispatch when they are enroute to a call.
    Officers and most active members are issued Portable radios which are programmed for the Baton Rouge Motorola Trunked radio system. Older models still being used are the MTS 1000 series, then we bought a few LTS 2000's (I have one of these) and most recently, in anticipation of the City of Baton Rouge moving to digital modulation soon, we have purchased a couple of Astro XTS 2500 radios. Our 911 dispatchers don't have any Motorola radios so they couldn't get ahold of us on a scene when nobody was near a truck so we purchased a couple of GE Ma/Comm portables and keep them in the rescue truck and first out pumper.

Thread Information