Forum Member

Default Fire hose and Air line combined

I posted this once in the apparatus innovation section and got 1 response (Thanks E34) but it seems like there isn't a whol lot of traffic there so lets try it again

Question? Maybe some of you more experienced folks will have a different take on this.

I talked to a guy that invested in a company that is trying to make a new fire hose that has air lines integrated right into the side of the hose. He is a non FF so it was painful to get info out of him but here is the best I got. It is a standard attack hose with 2 air lines running up either side that wither you would wear a SAR type mask with a 5 min bottle or a second hose that you plug into with the SCBA kinda like a buddy breather line but in instead of out. He also said that Lansing MI FD was working with the company on tests. Any of my brothers from Lansing care to put their $.02 in?

Ok interesting idea but IMVHO here are the problems I see:

1. It's 1 more dang line to get caught up

2. Is it really going to extend the effective working time of a firefighter? Should you really go more than 45 min on air without a break? (OK I know it's not really 45 min it's close)

3. What about Emergency Egress? It's 1 more thing to do before leaving.

4. Different types of SCBA. What about adapters.

5. Hate to sound like a chief but, Cost?

What do Y'all think? Is it something you would want to use?

Forum Member

Is it something you would want to use
    Nope. Lines get kinked, now you have no water and no air. Ties you to the hose so you can't move away from it. Need to go around a few corners, can't have the backup man stay back a little bit to feed hose. You get tired stretching a hose and fighting the fire, how do you get relieved - pull the hose all the way out and let the next team bring it back in?

Just a few thoughts...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Exclamation

I saw this posting in another section. Why are you posting it again???

I still don't think it has any merit.

I don't see fire hose and breathing air being combined. If you have a kink in the hose line the air may be also kinked.

I don't think this will go too far.

Yeah, as far as integrated breathing air lines, a few Questions.

1> What about the truck guys?
    2> SCBA is used for a whole lot more than just structural firefighting. What are you going to use for other IDLH environments. (HAZ-MAT, etc.)
    3> If you say use current SCBA for #2, then why have a redundant system to up[keep.
    4> where woudl you put the cylinders to supply these airlines? Not a whole lot of room on my engine for something like that.

Just a thought

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

Sounds like a reeeaaally bad idea to me. How are the connections going to work at each coupling? In addition to all the aforementioned concerns by my esteemed colleages, I would add the following:

1) The connections would have to be quick connect and disconnect to allow for rapid coupling of the hose. But they would also have to be impervious to contaminants such as smoke, water, and God Knows what else our hose gets dragged through.

2) The hose itself would be sucessptable to rupture, after getting dragged through broken glass, etc. How many times do we get burst or cut lengths of hose? Now in addition to losing water, we are going to lose our air, too?

3) Where exactly is the air for this contraption going to be coming from? A compressor on board the fire apparatus? A huge SCBA type cylinder? An additional expense, and now we lose storage capacity on our apparatus.

This just off the top of my head.

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

Whoops...Andy beat me to my #3 question. Great minds, huh bro?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Thumbs down

Well, I hate to fault a guy for thinking outside the box...after all, that's how great ideas are born. But I have to agree with the above posters....really can't see how this could be feasible....It would make the hose bulkier, for one thing. I think the lack of mobility would be the biggest drawback. Naw, jost can't see it....

Thread Information