Forum Member

Question Annual Employee Physical Agility Tests

My department currently uses mandatory annual medical evaluations and confidential fitness assessments. Recent discussion has been evolving towards adding a mandatory annual physical agility test (utilizing our current recruit PAT).

Anyone out there utilizing annual PATs for current employees? I know this has been a litigation-prone issue in the past with many FDs nation-wide.

Basically, I'm just interested in finding out how many FD's are using an annual PAT, and any brief details that could be added. Thanks!

Forum Member

I imagine that without major stipulations by the collective bargaining unit that anyone hired already cannot be forced to do it. Anyone hired after they implement the bylaw / ruling would be required to do it.

And why is it such a bad thing? More than 50% of annual firefighter fatalities are cardiac related, and all we need to do is look around and we see some VERY out of shape firefighters. And with the fattening of America, implementing a mandatory physical fitness regimen shouldn't be a bad idea. The same requirement should be made of police officers as well.

If the town has to pay for your health insurance and long term care, I have no problem with them requiring me or the members of the department to maintain some physical fitness level. People in teh military are required to do PATs every 6 months, is it really too much to ask?

Massachusetts passed a law to require firefighters and police officers to take the PAT every 2 years adn prior to appointment to the department. The state never enforced the post hiring requirement and with the money not being present in municipal and the state budgets it has fallen to the wayside, but it si still a requirement on paper. Again teh unions fought it for currently hired members of the departments, so any benefit would have been about 20 years off, when the required PAT would have shown effect.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

I am all for physical fitness. Why wouldn't a city or town want to do this?

The first reason out of the box would be, that the members of the department would be fit and be able to do their job better. It would help reduce sick and or injury time off.

Second thing I see is that, it may cut down on on duty injuries as as heart attacks, exhaustion and stress.

Yes sir, The cities and towns ahve a big investment in its employees and should require them to stay in good shape and health.

Just my thoughts. Stay healthy, you may live longer!!!

Stay Safe & Well out there.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Not only do we do annual agility testing we do it Bi-annually, yes 2 times a year. As a result we have had several firefighters chose retirement over getting back into shape and we were quite resistent to this at first but in the long haul it is best for us as well as the Cities vested interest with us keeping in shape.

WE enjoy the Cities support of allowing us to work out on duty every day and give us bonuses in fact to keep fit let alone keep our jobs. I see and read there are quite a few places out there tha dont allow there firefighters to work out on duty at all. Big bummer for them.

Have a great day.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Forum Member

Talking Annual Employee Physical Agility Tests

I don't disagree with anything stated so far... thanks for the replies.

However, in my opinion, PAT standards must be based upon either age or a pass/fail criteria to be successful.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use the CTT or Criterion Task Test. Pass or fail no matter who you are. When it was first introduced there was a lot of opposition, now it is an annual fact of Fire Department life!
    Career/Volunteer, We are all professionals!

Forum Member

We have been doing the yearly physicals for a while. Our admin has started talking about having everyone run some kind of agility test once a year as well.

They wanted to use the Combat Challenge, but the union said "no" since it's meant too be a competition and not used as an agility test. So now the idea is to use the practical part of the state fire academy final.

From what I understand, the state practical final consists of 4 parts (when I went in early 80's it was three parts). Pull a charged hoseline 100', open the nozzle and hit a target, single FF raise and extend a 24' ladder and put on an SCBA (from the ground to breathing air) in 1 minute 45 seconds. I'm not sure what the fourth part is, and there is a time limit on the hose drag and ladder raise but again, not sure what that is.

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Most departments that have some type of fitness/wellness programs or send their firefighters to annual health physicals are career paid departments, are there any 100% all volunteer departments out there that have some type of wellness/fitness program or send there members to annual physicals? I know some volunteer departments that have some workout equipment or a treadmill or something, its there if members want to use them, but they dont have to if they dont want.

If your volunteer department does, I'd like to hear your reply's on what you are doing.

Thread Information