Forum Member

Default *LHS.....sad news.

I just received a sad phone call from a friend, one of the "Big Names" in the fire service journalism world. He called me because he received a call from another "Name", who dropped a but of sad news. Apparently *LHS has taken his own life. Not many details were known about exactly when, apparently it has happened within the last 24 hours.

Those of you who know *LHS, also know that I (as well as many of you) have had NUMEROUS arguments with him. That aside, *LHS, wherever you are, I hope that you are in a better place now, I hope that you are on that great big quint in the sky, with a smile on your face, riding to the "big one."

This is not a joke, nor a rumor. Those of you that know me, know I would not BS about something like this. As soon as I know more, I will post it. I am assuming that the publications will carry the news eventually.

MembersZone Subscriber

What the F$%!#^!!

Come on... He just emailed me the other day to ask to publish something on my website. I politely said know, mostly due to him creating problems where ever he posts...

I mean we ware talking about THE Larry H. Stevens?!

I know he was not well liked... but damn!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Yes this is true - I too have received a phone call regarding this unfortunate news.

While very controversial at times Larry always believed in what he was doing and stood strong on his convictions. He always made you think and enjoyed a good disagreement.

And for those of you who never had the opportunity to work face-to-face with Larry he had a great sense of humor and was a great storyteller.

SBLG

Forum Member

We are talking about the same Larry Stevens, I just talked to him last week. It happened Tuesday.

He was my friend.

Instead of flowers, the family requests donations be made to a fund established for Larry and Elaine's three children:

Stevens Memorial Fund
    Bank of America
    Fallon NV 89406
    Acct. # 004968286111

I have been told these donations can be made at any Bank of America branch nation wide.
    www.gvfd.org

My condolences to his family.

Echoing SBLG, he did do some neat stuff and did make a lot of people think. I never did meet him in person, although I had talked a couple times over the phone.

Matt
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Wow. That's really all I can say right now. My condolences to his family.........

IACOJ Agitator

I'm speachless.

Anyone know how old his children were?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

Wow ...

As much as I couldn't stand the guy (on these forums), I do recognize that he was an innovator, and did a lot of good for a lot of FD's.

My condolences to his friends and family, and may he rest in peace.

Stay Safe

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Like many others here, I had quite a few heated arguments with the man on several topics. But I know we all respected the man for his knowledge, his determination, and his willingness to help many, many fire departments in this country. The fire service has lost a big advocate, and an even bigger man.

No matter what it is already, I think we can all say he's probably working on reducing the ISO of Heaven right now.

Many thoughts and prayers for his family in their time of need.

MembersZone Subscriber

Like everyone else has said, he sure could start trouble on the forums but you had to admire his knowledge and determination.

Rest in peace Larry.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have just finished talking with Chief Billy G about Larry. This is an extremely sad situation. I never did figure him out on these forums, but he was the man when it came to doing the ISO.

God be with you Larry, we will certainly never forget you.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Unhappy What Next...............

Grant pretty well summed it up for me too. Rest in peace Bro.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

IACOJ BOD

Damn.

LHS.

At the going down of the sun...
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I never was much for him myself, but you have to admire a man who will stand up for what he feels is right. He had a lot of knowledge to offer if you could get past the differences of opinion and see it for what it really was.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Forum Member

Unhappy

I would like to echo the sentiment of the other posters, I feel exactly as they do...........we may not have gotten along here in the forums but no one wants to hear of another whose life has ended. I hope someone will post details as they become available. Like it or not it is a sad day for the fire serivce.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Sr. Information Officer

Unhappy LHS...still a mystery.

First, I offer my condolences to Larry's wife and children. I hope the firefighting community will come forward and support them following his loss.

Larry was quite a remarkable member of these forums. He probably had more screen names than this FF has posts. While many of his thoughts were controversial, provocative, sometimes outrageous and maybe outright absurd.....he certainly had a way of getting his point across. As a result, many of our members got involved in issues, debated the facts and learned something along the way. I can't recall how many threads were closed due to personal attacks....but there were many. Larry sat back and took it all in stride. I think it was all part of his scheme to get our members to be more responsive. In that, he succeeded.

Larry has been called many things in these forums. He was indeed a little rough around the edges. He was indeed a thorn in some of our sides. He was indeed the "squeaky wheel" that got the grease. Outspoken? He redefined the term. Determined? Like no one else. He never conceded defeat. He only redoubled his efforts to convince you that he was right.

While some of you disagreed with him and went to great lengths to disprove his theories, calculations and observations......you must admit that Larry H. Stevens was an intelligent and thought provoking contributor to these forums. His style may have caused some angst along the way.....but that was just Larry being, well....Larry.

You may think that his passing guarantees that we'll have the last word.......but Larry would disagree.

Rest in peace Larry. Your long struggle is over.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

I was reading up on Larry on his website. While I never had the experience of reading any of his posts it sounds like we lost a wealth of knowledge.

My condolences to his wife, kids, and other family
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Forum Member

Default From "The Secret List."

We have been advised of the very sad and untimely passing of Larry Stevens. Larry was the former Editor of Fire-Rescue Magazine, the former Editor of Firefighters News, a former Chief Fire Officer and most recently, a fire services consultant focused on assisting departments with the I.S.O. grading schedule. A memorial service will be held on Saturday, March 20 at 1100 at the St. John's Lutheran Church, Fallon, NV. A private family funeral will be on Friday the March 19, we have no other details on that.

The family requests instead of flowers, donations be made to a fund established for Larry and Elaine's three children.

Stevens Memorial Fund
    Bank of America
    Fallon NV 89406
    Acct. # 004968286111

Letters of condolence can also be sent through the bank to the family. We have been told these donations can also be made at any Bank of America branch nation wide.

We have no other information.

Take Care,
    BillyG
    The Secret List 3-19-04
    FirefighterCloseCalls.com

Forum Member

Well, most of us could never get him to "agree to disagree", but look at all the thinking he made us do.

Remembering the "Great Tumbleweed Conflagration"..Rest In Peace Brother. At least Heaven will be a Class 1 Department.

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

When I first joined these forums I read many of the "great debates" that had gone on, and let me tell you I learned alot from all of them. I would have just passed this website up just like any other firefighting website, but seeing all the information being tossed around back and forth mainly in Larry's threads it made me stick to this website. Rest in Peace Larry as the infamous saying goes.." You are gone but not forgotten"
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Default LHS...A huge pair of shoes to fill!

The passing of Larry H. Stevens (LHS). A pairs of shoes that will be very hard, if not impossible, to fill!

I have sat and pondered, cried and reflected since I learned of Larry’s passing on Wednesday. No matter what ones opinion is or was of Larry H. Stevens, all of us in the fire service have lost an innovator and partner that worked unselfishly for the betterment of all. I may ramble in my writing, but this may be my way to feel better about this loss, to me personally.

It was several years ago when I first met Larry. Prior to meeting, I had heard all the “opinions” that many had on Larry’s vision and “strength of opinion”. At first glance and interaction one could only ask: Who the hell is that guy? Where the hell is this guy coming from? What is this guy on? Only after being accepted and having the ability to further understand Larry’s methodologies, through interaction, would one understand who the man truly was.

I must first and foremost say, he was more than likely a person who contributed to the betterment of apparatus innovation more than 1000’s of others who have tried. Larry’s vision and always developing ideas seemed almost too far-fetched to be believable. Larry did in fact know what he was doing, contrary to many individuals beliefs. His ideas were always founded and not something that he in fact had not gone out and tried with a partner or if necessary, himself. If Larry could not find someone to partner with him, he would go out and prove them all wrong by making things work that were not supposed to work on paper, but did in reality. While many companies, manufacturers, suppliers and component manufacturers may have taken claim for many new cutting edge designs that are now available, I have a belief that the implementation of these ideas would not have occurred without Larry’s smug and profound persistence.

Larry H. Stevens, is a person who has impacted the U.S. fire service, if you believe it or not. He was one of VERY FEW people in the U.S. that would challenge untold amounts of engineers that his ideas would in fact work, regardless of their statistically based calculations or professional opinions. Speaking of opinions, whoa, now here was a guy with an opinion! Larry challenged every sector of manufacturers and suppliers, and to some, almost in an antagonistic manner. If a manufacturer viewed Larry as the proverbial “pain in the ass”, it was only because, they were not listening and delivering what Larry asked for to begin with! Anyone who “truly” knew Larry H. Stevens knows that we would not be where we are today, without his persistence and forceful drive to do things others could only dream of.

Larry’s insight was not in one area, he vast knowledge spread across almost every sector of the fire service. Apparatus, equipment, components, tactical operations and of course without saying, ISO standards like no other. I challenge ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE, to speak as fluently about every component and its potential operations, as did Larry. Many snubbed Larry, not knowing just how deep his knowledge truly was, brushing him off as a blowhard or manipulator. I feel they made a huge mistake, as the knowledge he shared, while controversial, allowed us all to grow. Larry’s ideas stimulated the mind, always “pushing the envelope”, allowing us to see into the future.

I have been in the fire service for a long time and share with many “seniors” of the apparatus portion of the fire service. I truly believe those who knew him, now know there is a huge void to fill out there in fire truck land. Never being afraid to challenge the nations top manufacturers, presidents, CEO’s, engineers and designers, Larry is now sitting in heaven grinning with that dumb *** smile of his, like no other. That cat that swallowed the canary look of his, saying: I told ya so!

To Elaine and the kids, God bless you all. You can rest only in knowing that you were with a man who shared to all of us in the fire service unselfishly and may be personally responsible for saving 1000’s of lives worldwide. For his contribution and his friendship, I am personally grateful. I will pass my one last “thank you” in writing to Larry H. Stevens. Thanks buddy! May you rest in peace.

Fish

Forum Member

Many of us here on the forums tangled with Larry. A cyberslam from *LHS was worn like a badge of honor.

Some say he was a little rough around the edges when it came to putting his point across, but he did do one thing, though... he made us think and improve ourselves.

I can see him now... arguing about Heaven's ISO rating with God himself!

Rest in peace, Larry, rest in peace....

Forum Member

Rest in peace Larry.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

For all his stubbornness, lack of tact and inability to ever agree to disagree on these forums, I truly believe he really cared about firefighters and felt that everything he was doing was to make us better and safer. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thread Information