Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sirens

the only one I recall is something made my Federal Signal ........they were ok ......I will try and post a link when I get home .....
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Of course, you folks heard about the rural department that was so poor....
    Instead of a siren on their truck, the officer had a pair of vice grips. When they hit the center of town, he would attach the vice grips to a part of his body, and the Engineer would twist them when he needed a siren sound!
    They saved money, but had some trouble getting new officers!

Have a nice day!

Originally posted by nmfire
    I'm going to warn you now (I should have said something before). "Gall's Brand" sirens are total junk not worth installing on a 10-Speed bicycle. I've had nothing but grief from them and am replacing them with a *real* ones whenever the opportunity arrises.

Now this is a guy who know what he is talking about.

I would not buy a siren or much of anything from Galls.

I have seen small fire companies buy a gall's brand siren or light bar, only to wish they hadn't. They are not up to the standards that they say they are. They need constant maintenace and repairs or replacement!!

Spend a litte extra, not that much though, and buy your lights and sirens from a dealer that sells Federal Signal products. If you don't have the electrical output or supply to handle the Q2B, then use the EQ2B siren This electronic model of the famous Q siren and IT DOES THE J-O-B!!!!!!!

Other wise, do like one of the guys said, use a pair of vise grips on someones goodies and twist them when you want the traffic to move.

MembersZone Subscriber SafetyLighting's Avatar

Carson Sirens also manufacturers 200 watt siren drivers.

http://www.carsonsirens.com
    John D. Cummings
    Safety Lighting and Equipment
    Rehoboth MA
    508-379-6013
    www.safetylightingandequipment .com
    sales@safetylightingandequipme nt.com

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I guess we got all of the quality Galls stuff then. I've had a Galls remote head siren and slimline speaker in my POV for 4 years and I haven't even blown a fuse yet, and that's with averaging over 900 runs per year in it. Most of the department has Galls in POVs and no one has mentioned any problems either. As far as 100/200watts, make sure the siren is matched to the speaker. I've seen many a problem with all makes of both when a 100W siren is used to drive a 200W speaker. The speaker driver tries to "suck" the 200W out of the 100W siren and it fries. The input/output has to be matched. I've seen it with home stereo and car speakers too. Speakers have to be matched with amps, otherwise you're going to have problems.

I wouldn't buy another Galls just for the simple reason that the "Thunder" tone is about as useful as a football bat. I'll take a Code 3 with Phaser, Hyper-Yelp, or whatever they call it. Or D, all of the above. The more siren tones the merrier I say.

Again, thanks for the input from everybody.

Also, while we're on the topic, have any of yall came across any after-market Air horn setups for vehicles that do not have their own air supply?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Pep Boys, from $10 and up. Also check around some junkyards for old dump trucks and big rigs that had them, maybe can even salvage a compressor and all pretty inexpensively.

Originally posted by BC79er
    I wouldn't buy another Galls just for the simple reason that the "Thunder" tone is about as useful as a football bat. I'll take a Code 3 with Phaser, Hyper-Yelp, or whatever they call it. Or D, all of the above. The more siren tones the merrier I say.
    Ugg. That sound. We had one of those crap-boxes in our utility truck until I ripped it out and threw it across the bay because it never worked right. That was the STUPIDEST sound I had EVER heard in my life. Turning that sound on would make me want to plow the truck head-on into a tree just to make it stop!!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

^^^^ LOL ^^^^

Forum Member

Get a federal Q. if you rig cant handle a mechanical then get an electronic Q you wont regret it

MembersZone Subscriber

If we installed the Q on my Engine like that it would have been bashed in along time ago!

Also I like the "Not a Step" sticker...very funny.

FTM-PTB

Thread Information