Default Newbie On The Firegrounds!

Hello All!,
    Just joined the board, I just recently joined my local volunteer fire department (got voted on March 2). I'm taking an 80 hour OSHA course to get my first level of certification. This class is great, it's teaching all kinds of things (especially safety, the most important one). Yes, I am the newbie around the firehouse. Spend a good deal of time rolling hose (have to pay my dues). I got to fight a large brush fire Saturday w/ a booster line while another truck dropped water from a deck gun on it. It was a big fire, we had to get mutual aid from 5 or 6 different fire departments. It was an awesome experience, and loved every minute. Just wanted to introduce myself, oh yeah and I'm from South Carolina. If any of you are from around SC lemme know. Any advise for the newbie would be fine. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the firefighting family!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Welcome to the fire service, sounds like you're off to a good start.

Keep that attitude about paying dues and staying safe and you'll go far.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

welcome to the fire service, my advise to anyone new, is to keep quite for about a year until you have watched and learned, and jump at the chance anytime there is a chance to learn something like fire schools. keep it safe and again welcome!

Forum Member

Welcome to Firehouse Mr Belvedere!

Glad to have you here, and hope you enjoy the fire service as much as we all do. Always feel free to ask questions, post thoughts or ideas you have. Take care, and best of luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Welcome to the group

All i can say is through thick and thin try and keep a positive attitude...Practise everything as much as possible and like kghemtp said don't be afraid to ask questions..I've been doin this 21 years and hell i still ask questions...Always new things to learn...

Enjoy Yourself and Be Safe

Forum Member

Thumbs up Welcome

Welcome to the volunteer fire service.
    Become a sponge and soak up all the education and training that you can. Listen to the "old war stories" and laugh along. In a few years you'll have some stories of your own.

Most important, Stay Safe! Knowledge is power.

Best regards,

Phil

Smile

WELCOME TO THE FIRE SERVICE

I HAVE BEEN A VOLUNTEER FOR TWO YEARS AND LOVE IT. GO TO AS MANY CLASSES, AND TRAINING THAT YOU CAN. YOU CAN NEVER KNOW TOO MUCH. JUST REMEMBER TO LISTEN TO YOUR OFFICERS, THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT COLOR HELMET FOR A REASON THEY WILL KEEP YOU SAFE

HVFD2865 GOOD LUCK

Forum Member

Originally posted by hvfd2865
    WELCOME TO THE FIRE SERVICE

I HAVE BEEN A VOLUNTEER FOR TWO YEARS AND LOVE IT. GO TO AS MANY CLASSES, AND TRAINING THAT YOU CAN. YOU CAN NEVER KNOW TOO MUCH. JUST REMEMBER TO LISTEN TO YOUR OFFICERS, THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT COLOR HELMET FOR A REASON THEY WILL KEEP YOU SAFE

HVFD2865 GOOD LUCK
    Just a little web ettiquette for you, since I've seen it in a few of your posts....

Typing in all capital letters is considered yelling..........

I think the biggest thing for "noobs" in a Fire Department, which is what I did, was listen, listen, listen.

Being active with a positive attitude, attending all the classes and training you can that is time relevant is a very good thing.

I am happy with the new posters who seem very energetic and proactive about the Fire Department lately. It is good to know that people are still interested and enthusiastic about it all.

Good luck to you, be aware and stay safe.

Don't be hesitant to ask questions around here, and a big thing here as well as a fire department that will help you out, respect.
    IACOJ

Smile Welcome to the Brotherhood!

I am sure you're gonna like it here.

Welcome On Board

Like everyone else said....Listen to what the older and wiser members have to say..They can teach you a great deal...Ask questions and get on whatever training you can...Keep positive Attitude

Another thing to do...Steer Clear of the BS your gonna hear around the dept...When you hear people sayin this and that about so and so, just stay away...I found out early to stay away from that...Sometimes those people can stab you in the back..
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

I'm still new in the end but already feel like I've been around for years but its really only been eight months. I'm just about finished fire fighter one here in PA its over 100 hours. I can't imagine time now where I don't have a class I'm taking. Every call is a learning experence. Stay save and listen to those around you. Do the best you can to be around as much as you can. Yea, your new but its good to get people to know who you are; and the more your around the more calls you catch and the more things you learn. Even when your just sitting at the station watching the big screen read the newest fire house mag, EMS, or anything you can get your hands on. Every chance your in the enviroment is a chance to learn. Avoid the political and other BS and just stay the course. Things get hard in classes, but harder on the street. When your struggling with that ground ladder in the training grounds its ok but when your trowing it because a brother needs to come out a window be sure you can do it. Stay cool, and stay safe.

CS
    Bucks County, PA.

Thread Information