Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter430's Avatar

Question Any Military Surplus 6x6 Woes?

Military Surplus Woes

Anybody out there run military surplus 6X6s for tankers or brush trucks? I was bringing our “new to us” 6x6 to get the lettering done this morning and got about 4 miles out and blew the head gasket. Anybody have problems with their units or know of any problems associated with the newer diesel/multifuel trucks? We had an old gas unit that this truck replaced last week and it had some problems but for the most part performed well. I was just worn out. It could really get the job done when needed.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

I have a thread started in the wild land section devoted to FEPP vehicles. My fire company is in the process of acquiring a 5 ton and an M715. Is yours a multi-fuel unit or straight diesel?
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Here's a Good One

Get into the "Links" page and look up the Silver City VFD in Oklahoma. Those folks use the vehicles that you have, and I'm sure they will offer any advice or help that they can. Great people with experience in your type of truck.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thanks for the info! StayBack our unit is multi fuel and has a White brand engine with a turbo.

On a side note how long should a diesel induced headache last. Wow my head is about to split. The cab smoked up this morning like a flue pipe was stuck in the cab. Even with all the windows open and the windshield cracked is was pretty bad for the short distance I had to limp back.

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell

MembersZone Subscriber captfire3's Avatar

Default several woes

since I have been with my department, I have seen many military surplus come and go.

Right now, we have a 10 ton bridge truck that now carries 4,000 gallons of water, 2 5 tons one carries 2,700 gallons of water and the other is a brush rig w/ 1000 gallons of water.

We have lost 3 trucks due to motor problems.

The way I see it, When it becomes surplus it is usually ready for the truck grave yard.
    stay safe

Captfire3

I have been told by wise people to go to Roscommon...I did and they were right! Loads of info.

I have also been told the multi-fuel units tend to have some difficulties. The one we're getting is a Cummins diesel. Cape Cod Fire Department has a huge site dedicated to "Brush Breakers".

Capt.Fire3 - The first truck we looked at was indeed a "basketcase"...but we were fortunate to find a 5 ton with only 3800 miles and in immacculate shape for an ex-military rig. I am so excited to have a vehicle to build on. Our fire company used to build all kinds of crafty things for our rigs...but in later years everything has been purchased new.

E6511

Oh..as for the headache? Er...I dunno...

E6511

Silver City sure does have a nice page!

The military specs some good trucks and I hope this will be our only glitch with this truck for a while. For the time we had it it ran like the preverbial top. The committee was very proud of the truck and all were excited about getting the unit. they came in way under budget due to some hard work on their part and donations from local house movers who have equipment and lifts large enough to move bodies from truck to truck.

We run about as many brush fires as structure fires and I hate to see our unit out of service at anytime but now more so.

We are one of several departments with military surplus equipment (3/4 ton, blazers, etc. mostly and one other 2 1/2 ton) and if maintained most have maybe a few more problems with these units over traditional trucks of the same vintage. We are lucky to be pretty close to a few shops that stock parts for these units. I think the biggest problem with these trucks I have heard about is the electrical system. The military runs 24 volt units so when depts get them they have to run split systems for all their 12 volt equipment or convert the whole truck to 12 volt.

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell

Try mil-veh@mil-veh.org they are a wealth of information. It is a forum for Mil surplus trucks and more.

Just sign up and ask the questions, many will answer.

We have a 5 ton automatic, power steering, and extended frame (M927) We are putting a 2800 gallon tank on this truck and excpect many years of service.

Thread Information