FH Mag/.com Contributor

Default I wish we/I'm glad we

Looking for manufacturer neutral comments about new trucks and things that fit the categories of "I wish we changed..." and "I'm glad we added/moved...."

Like moving cascase bottles from one side of the aerial to the other so that the turntable operator has better visibility. Like LED rung lighting, compartment layouts, bumper configurations, etc, etc.

Things along those lines that a lot of people don't think about until after a truck gets delivered and the "oh crap's" and "I never though about's" kick in.

Thanks - Stay Safe.

Forum Member

On our new engine I am really glad we went with the bigger pump.
    I wish we would have had another 1-1/2" line and an intake in the front bumper and an additional LDH discharge off the rear

On the ladder I wish we would have gotten a QB2 and a couple lines in the bumper.

Forum Member

Our new aerial (Pierce) has been in service for about a year. It has a front bumper hose tray with a top cover. Now they have a tray that not only opens on top, but the section of bumper were the tray is flips down, so you can pull the hose straight out instead of up and out. That would have been nice to have.

Not happy with the Dover roll up compartment doors. We have Robinson roll ups on our heavy rescue and they have a much smoother action.

Also would have been nice to have the indepedent front suspension like we have on our new pumper. Much smoother ride.

Happy with the rest of it.

Our new pumper (also Pierce) was a demo for the Daytona 500, so it was built without much imput from my department. But it was real close to the specs we had for a new pumper and it's been great so far.

Would have liked to have the hose tray set up I mentioned above, as well as the Robinson roll up's.

It came with a Federal strobe package and while they work pretty well, our aerial has Whelen LED's and would rather have had them on the pumper. Already replaced a strobe head and a power supply.

The aerial has LED underbody lights which we like over the standard ones on the pumper.

Cant think of anything else...

Dave

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Dave - I think this is what you were looking for. We spec'd our heavy rescue with a 250gpm/250gal setup so we could handle a pin-in with fire with one truck until the 2nd engine for there. But we also wanted a combie pre-connected on the bumper as well. When we went for drawing sign-off they were saying we couldn't have both. Then I saw a few rescues with the drop down access for the winch. I asked why they couldn't do that with the handline and put a swivel-lock plate over it so that the combie could be mounted and then the plate removed to repack the hose. They said sure we'll give it a shot. Lo and behold, we have both. Supposedly a lot of orders were changed after it was on display in Dallas at Fire-Rescue, but I can't say for sure.

I think I saw a pic of your truck around here somewhere. Might have been the rescue-quint forum. If you've got any compartment picture you wouldn't mind sharing can you shoot them over to brianv@firegraphics.org? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Yep, that's it. First saw it on a local FD's new aerial. I must say, the up/out style we have works well, just you need a second FF to pull the hose up while the first one advances it out. One FF could do it with the flip down.

I did post a photo of our aerial someplace on the forums. I will be happy to e-mail it. I dont have any compartment photos. Next time I'm stationed on it I will shoot some. I only get on it a couple times a year. I'm the second back-up driver for it on my shift so the primary driver and the first back up have to be off.

Dave

Forum Member

Rear LDH intake. The intake is controlled from the pump panel. We put one on our 96 Pierce. We run in an area with about 25% hydrants and the rest is tanker/porta-tank ops.

The rear intake keeps the LDH and porta-tank out of the way of the pump panels and side compartments. Most of the tankers in our area have side as well as rear dumps so if there is enough room, they can drive up along side the tank, dump, and drive away without backing.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We've been running our new Ferrara Quint now for about 8 months, so far so good.

A few things We'd do differently...

1. Being our first aerial device, we didn't give much thought to the turntable area, with the sidestacker configuration, you only have 1 set of steps to the turntable... and 1 entrance. Now i think we'd put the standard 2 access points on the turntable so you don't have to climb through or around when the your working the ladder off the back of the truck.

2. Front spring brakes didn't seem like a big deal then, until we began doing some more off camber training sets with the ladder. With only rear outriggers (75ft ladder) the front tires act as supports, and even with wheel chocks, front maxi's would add a little more security.

3. Creeper controls at the ladder tip.

4. The rescue style compartments are nice, but it was a pain mounting hand tools or anything long, maybe rescues on one side of the body and standard high sides on the other would be a better combination.

Some of the good ideas...

1. EXTRA Axe, Pike pole nad Roof ladder monted on the aerial.

2. The little Giant ladder, AS seen on TV! (only twice as expensive)

3. 100' firepower electric rewind reels on each side with 4 plug junction boxes.

4. Spare Hurst tool with pre-connected 100' reel

There are more things for sure, both good and bad, but I can't think of them all right now.

-Nick

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish we had the money to add CAFS to the Rescue Pumper we have on order

Forum Member

Would like to have the foam system piped into our front jumpline. Right now, it goes to 1 crosslay which is Ok but the front would be better. Looked into making the change and it's just too expensive right now.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

dazed and confused

On our rescue-pumper:

Glad we got raised roof.
    Wish we got extended cab for storage purposes.
    Wish we spent more time on customizing the inside of the cab to include the equipment we planned on carrying (gas meters, flashlights, AED, EMS equipment, etc.)

Glad we got CAFS.
    Wish we had spec'd a more streamlined system with reduced steps of operation.

Glad we got a hydraulic generator.
    Wish it was hot-shift.

Glad we got nice Focus scene lights on the sides and rear of the truck, along with some tripod lights.
    Wish we had also kept the 12V scene lights in.
    Wish we had gotten a metal halide HID light tower
    Wish we had gotten forward facing scene lights (either 12V HID, or standard ones with a hot-shift PTO generator).

Glad we have 28" deep compartments all the way around the truck.
    Wish the hosebed wasn't so high.
    Wish the ladders were through the tank, vs. between the tank and hosebed.
    Wish we went with standard rescue-style locker doors vs. rollups... too much wasted space up top, and you can't mount anything (tools, lights) on the doors. Damage to the rollups is painful, and cleaning them gets old.

Glad we have coffin-style compartments up top.
    Wish we had kept the nice ladder to get up there in the spec.
    Wish the reels for HRT, electricity, air, etc were mounted high in the ground-level compartments, rather than the coffins. This would make better use of space.

Preconnects:
    Wish we had the rear preconnects plumbed at the rear of the truck (not in the hosebed) so they could be wye'd, be accessible. Or had the rear preconnects off the back bumper.
    Wish we had a trash line preconnected to the front bumper.
    Wish ALL preconnects were plumbed LARGE and reduced with adapters as needed.
    Wish we had a cutout for LDH to be preconnected at our pump panels.

Glad we selected a custom body manufacturer who caters to their clients equipment.
    Wish we had sent our equipment to the manufacturer so that we could take advantage of the custom installation...

Glad we selected a single-source manufacturer.
    Wish we held them to it.
    Last edited by Resq14; 03-23-2004 at 04:46 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

Be careful of small PTO pumps on rescue apparatus. If you are planning on equipping your vehicle with a PTO or split shaft generaor, your fire pump will only operate at one RPM! Make sure you choose a hydraulic gnerator (or diesel) to be able to utilize your pump and generator to your expectations.

In respect of your request I will reserve the manufacturer but listen to their recommendations about 'Truck Stuff' such as dimensions, weight rating, etc. That is why they have all these engineers sitting around so your don't get a bounce-mobile like we got. If you want to know more about our POS, e-mail.

Good Luck and remember to buy a truck that someone will be around to fix in ten to twenty years!
    "The light that goes around, even up-side down".

dazed and confused

Originally posted by Rotoray

Good Luck and remember to buy a truck that someone will be around to fix in ten to twenty years!
    LOL

Or 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, etc...

MembersZone Subscriber

I wished we had spec'ed a generator start switch, and switches for the body-mounted flood lights, to be in the cab of our new 100' Platform Quint.We just paid the local dealer about 2 grand extra to do that after we discovered just how big the "ink pool" is on both sides of the truck when responding to poorly lit areas at night. The difference in safety and being able to see roadside hazards, especially at intersections\turns, is worth every penny.We even had the dealer install these switches at BOTH the engineer's seat and the Captain's.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Forgot to mention what diablo said. We put the 12V scene lighting switches at the driver's fingertips, and the AC & 12V switches at the officer's fingertips in the rescue. That way all scene lighting can be operated from the cab since the PTO switch for the generator is there. If truly going in service and not just turning night into day, then the driver has to get out and can turn the AC lights on at the switchbox in the compartment.

That didn't happen in our engine, and the only way to get the 12V scene lights on is to open a door, and the only AC lighting switches are the breakers. (Being the son of an electrician, I know that's not what circuit breakers are for.) Sucks for trying to find addresses on houses since everyone around here doesn't want to make the mailman work so there's no mailboxes at houses, just numbers on the house. So we're left with no way to light up anything while moving.

We went PTO pump and Onan PTO shaft generator on the rescue. The Onan is 30kW and needs minimum RPMs to run, so when it's switched on, the truck revs up. We have to engage the pump before the generator if we think we'll need it so that we don't have to turn the generator back off to drop the RPMs to engage the pump later. It seems like a pain, but we just engage both and then recirc the pump and adjust the hoseline pressure through the valves instead of with the throttle. Considering the Onan cost $12K for 30kW versus $25K for a Harrison 20kW and $27K for the AMPS 20kW, I think we can live with it. But rescues are the only trucks I'd put the Onan shaft style on. Engines, ladders, and quints I'd stick with the others. I don't think anyone would let you put them on anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm glad we forked over the extra bucks for a CAFS system. It's plumbed to both 1 3/4 crosslays, both 2 1/2 rear preconnects and the front 1 3/4 trashline. One of the 2 1/2 rear preconnects has a TFT blitzfire monitor preconnected. It's easy to handle and puts out a ton of CAFS. On our first structure fire with the CAFS we had a single story ranch with the attic fully involved with fire out the eaves. With the CAFS we were able to extinguish the fire with the only water damage in the living room where we pulled the ceiling to access the fire. The rest of the house had zero water damage even though there were structural members burned through in the attic above the rest of the house. It takes extra training especially for your pump operators and its a tough hit to the wallet but we think it was worth it.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Hmmm, CAFS to a monitor. Nice. We're putting a quint together and it's definitely going to have CAFS, probably just like the engine with 3-1.75" preconnects and 1-2.5". Wonder how much orange it would kick with CAFS through the pipe. OOOOOO. "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."

dazed and confused

We run a Blitzfire preconnected to a CAF line also, in addition to a deckgun that can flow CAF. You start to max out your airflow when you opt to use one of these big guns (200cfm compressor). We have four 2.5" CAF discharges. a 4" LDH CAF discharge, and the deckgun CAF discharge on our rescue-pumper.

Our tower truck has not flowed CAF yet through the waterway because some people are concerned about what the class A foam will do to the waterway seals. *shrug* The fact that E-One won't sign off in it is interesting to me.
    Last edited by Resq14; 04-04-2004 at 06:44 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They say it can't be done or it shouldn't be done? Or by sign off you mean they won't cover any warranty issues if you do it?

dazed and confused

hehe D. all of the above?

They will not say that it is "ok" to do... so that leads me to believe that if we do it, and it does in fact do something naughty to the waterway, then we're SOL.

BUT

I don't think it will do anything naughty in the first place.

Anyone else have insight on this? COUGHcaptainlouCOUGH

Forum Member

I guess i never thought of Class A dryin out the water way seals, hmmm, might pass that on to the powers that be for future reference.

This is in reference to our 2003 custom chassis, Waterous Eclipse, pumper,
    Anyways, I am glad that
    1. We ordered CAFS, it is nice
    2. Got the raised roof, lots of room, easier to get out of
    3. Got the ladders through the tank to add compartment space
    4. Got the monitor plumbed with CAFS
    5. Its red!!!

I wish we had
    1. Tried to make it shorter, its one long son of a gun
    2. Would not have put the extended bumper on an already really long engine,
    3. Wish we had considered a ladder rack in an effort to shorten the engine, even if it means sacrificing some compartment space

Those are what i can think of off hand. I was not officially on the committee, so i cannot complain too much, but just some hind sight thoughts.

Last edited by Svfman; 04-06-2004 at 11:24 AM.

Forum Member

We have 1995 95' E-ONE platform. Both Class A & B out the pipe and still the original seals.

Forum Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^HUH ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

dazed and confused

Originally posted by takonik
    We have 1995 95' E-ONE platform. Both Class A & B out the pipe and still the original seals.
    Ah very interesting. Thanks for the info.

(was in reference to foam damaging the seals on aerial waterways)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Well, I'm pretty happy with our truck, but it is the first NEW truck I've helped spec out. There were a few points of learning in the process. But the truck turned out pretty well all in all. The truck is a 2003 Custom Cab (withholding Manufacturer) with seating for 7, 500 gal H20, 30 gal class A foam, 1500 gpm rearmount Hale, stainless body, 10kw Diesel ONAN Generator.

Happy we got the 120 Volt Flood lights facing the front and sides, mounted on the cab.
    Wish we had left the switches to turn them on and off in the cab, in the specs.

Happy we got the Class A Foam system
    Wish we had considered CAFS a little more

Happy we got the Rear Mount Pump.

Happy we have all the compartment space on the truck
    Wish we had spent more time on nailing down exactly what was going in each compartment before it was built and not figuring it out when we got it at the station.

Happy we got the front bumper lines (200' 1 3/4" and 200' 3" with a Blitzfire preconnected.
    Wish we had spec'd a diamond cover to put over it all rather than leave it open

Happy we have a deck gun
    Wish we wouldn't have set it up so that the gun has to be taken off the truck when not in use (due to height problems)

Happy to have the truck on time
    Wish we would have held the manufacturer to fixing a few things that they took libertys on making the decision rather than asking us about

Happy to have crosslays with extra space for future expansion (if need be).
    Wish we would have gotten them down closer to the ground.

Happy that we have our transverse compartment
    Wish we would have spent more time configuring it so as not to waste as much space as we did. Also wish I had seen a couple trucks similar to ours to borrow ideas from and find out what didnt work

Happy the Salesman had done a preliminary design of this truck a few years previous.
    Wish we had made more changes to make it work better

Happy we got the Upper Dunnage Compartments (Coffin Compartments.
    Wish we had gone with the solid metal covers for the hosebed so access to the the compartments was easier, rather than the tarp that is presently on there.

Happy we got a hydraulic ladder rack
    Wish we had reconfigured the top part of the truck so that we could make room to carry a longer roof and a 2 section 35' ladder rather than the 14' roof and 3 section 35' ladder

I love our truck and it works well for us, but again, there are a few issues that I'd definitely reconsider if I were to do it over again. I anyone wants more info, email me directly.

Thread Information