Thread: Pickets

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pickets

Looking for some suggestions on pickets. Our department is looking to finish up PA's Rescue Recognition Cert this year and one of the last items needed are pickets, they must be steel 1" in diameter and 36" in length.

My first thought was to use rebar, anybody else have any other ideas??
    Brian S. Jazudek
    Moon Run VFC
    PA-ST1

Keepin it real

Don't get the rebar, go with the 1" steel stock cut to length. You will find it easier to place these in the ground and remove afterwards.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with NJTF1Bowman - the smooth bar stock will be easier to work with - both in terms of in and out of the ground, but also in terms of abrasion to rope or webbing wrapped around them. A couple of our local units have very nice pickets that have large heads on them - similar to what I've seen on circus tent rigging - which makes for easier driving.

dazed and confused

Arrow Picket Ideas

These are sold by Cepco Tool Company.
    http://www.cepcotool.com

"Our pickets are constructed from 4 foot lengths of 1" diameter hot rolled steel. The tip is cut at a 45 degree angle to aid in setting. The head is enlarged to increase the size of the striking surface and prevent strap disengagement. A collar is welded 26" up from the bottom for lower strap engagement. Great for stabilization of vehicles on sloped or slippery surfaces."

God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

I will also recommend NOT using rebar. Find a local steel supplier and use smooth 1" round stock. Get someone to weld large washers on the top. They will make pounding them easier.

I am in Butler area and can give you a couple of places to go near there.
    IN MEMORY OF THE BOYS FROM STATION 14!!! God Speed!!

Leather forever!!!

ABC !!

If we fail to train, we train for failure.

Forum Member

In North Carolina, we typically recommend using 1" COLD ROLLED STEEL (not hot rolled, the difference to follow) cut to 5' lengths. It is recommended driving the pickets 2/3 of the length (about 40") into the ground at a 15 degree angle, and setting them no more than one length (five feet) apart before lashing.

The reason Cold Rolled Steel is recommended is for the strength. Hot rolled steel has a lower tensile strength and may bend easily either under a load or while trying to remove the pickets from the ground.

By the way, an easy way to figure a 15 degree angle is to set the picket at the tip of your toe and extend your arm straight out in front of you. Just like measuring the angle on a ladder for climbing, this gives you an approximate 75 degree angle, or 15 degrees off vertical.

Your local steel supplier should have access to the round stock. It usually comes in 20' lenghts. I think our place priced us at about $7 per foot (but don't quote me).

Good luck and be safe!
    Tell me, I will forget. Show me, I will remember. Involve me, I will understand.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the replies and info guys!
    Brian S. Jazudek
    Moon Run VFC
    PA-ST1

Default pickets

Find a Local Tent company, if they put up large tents they will have a large inventory of 3' stakes/pickets. They can be driven with a sledge or jackhammer(with "cup" attachment) Have them donate some of these to your team.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

The use of a jackhammer and attachment is a good idea, if your serious about using pickets correctly.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Thread Information