Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Recruitment Help

Just looking to see what input you guys can give me for recruiting ideas. Anything from a press release to flyers and/or posters. (wording included) My Dept is a all Vollie serving a city area (no rural). We are allowed 36 members by city ordinance and we are at a all time low of 24 members. Anything you guys can suggest is appreciated. Thanks

Stay Safe!!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well.....................

I'd like to help, but I'm not an expert on web URLs, Maybe someone can find the one to order publications from the NFA. They have several books out on Volunteer recruiting and retention. That Said, can you give us more info on your situation? Where are you, any local Anti-FD sentiments for any reason? any other info that will give a clear picture of your organization as it is now? Glad to lend a hand, this is an area that I have an interest in. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Arrow Wake Up Guys..............

I'm bumping this back up. Got to be more ideas out there to help this dept. Anyone got the web address for the NFA?
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Guinness....a meal in a can!
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

The USFA site has a great book (report) on recruitment and retention in the Volunteer Fire Service. Good Luck.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Default Might help alittle...

You can advertise for FREE on these two sites.
    Just email your info. to them-

www.firecareers.com
    www.firerecruit.com

I'm channeling the spirit of George Wendt,CFI

Before you think about posters, open houses, public displays, whatever, there is one thing you must do to attract new members. Put your own house in order.

Ask yourself these questions about your FD:
    1. Does your fire house look like a professional workplace where the serious work of fire suppression and life safety takes place? Or does it look like the clubhouse from Spanky and Our Gang? You don't have to have a lavish station to make it look professional.

2. Do your members represent what is good about your community? Or do they represent a "good ol' boys club" that is stuck in the early 1970"s?

3. Do we welcome new faces here? Or do we treat them like outsiders until we grant them the privelegeof entry to the inner circle?

4. Do we have good, intelligent sounding information to provide a potential new applicant? Or do we have some slack-jawed illiterate telling war stories in the apparatus bay?

5. Do our officers project professionalism and confidence? Or do they promote an authoritarian, do-it-my-way-or-else, culture that does not develop and foster new members?

6. Do you provide professional career enrichment opportunities (ie: training)? Or do you simply provide OTJ that is largely unstructured and undocumented?

7. Do you provide a reason for a new recruit to stay?

There are many, many opportunities for a person to perform community service that do not take up as much time and energy as the fire service. You also have to realize that you are competing for a finite number of potential volunteers with these other organizations. Recruit as if you were recruiting for a career job. Project that level of enthusiasm and professionalism. Put your house in order BEFORE the recruitment program begins.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    A few questions
    Do you have the people to draw from?

Do you make "newbies feel welcome", or is their a "crusty old jakes" clique?

Was there some occurance that caused a drop off, or is this gradual attrition that you haven't caught back up to?

Thread Information