Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: with Reported People Trapped, does your company do things differently with juniors?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 17.39%
  • No

14 60.87%
  • Juniors don't ride anyway

4 17.39%
  • We don't see fire

1 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

Default "A Dwelling, Reported People Trapped!"

It's 4 PM, your sitting at home watching TV when your pager alerts. You notice all the tones passing over your pager as your putting your shoes on. As your walking out the door the dispatcher comes over your pager with these words "A Dwelling, Reported People Trapped" Your heart's beating at 1000 beats a minute now as your running to the station. You get to the station and get geared up, your given your apparatus assignment and you board the truck and head to the scene.

We just had a call today, "Apartment, Reported People Trapped" I rode out first due engine for this assignment.

Does your department handle things differently when it's REPORTED PEOPLE TRAPPED? What i mean by this is: Do juniors still get to ride apparatus? If so, are they allowed to ride any of the attack pieces? If not, why the change in protocal? Any other things you may be able to add to this discussion will be appreciated.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Nothing changes at all. We can still ride the apparatus and still do what we do.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Here Juniors cannot enter the "hot zone" until they are a live in member at age 19...They can ride on any other type of call on the first due but not house fires..If they get in the "first due" they will be told to please get off the truck....we'll roll with 1 less firefighter on first in if we have too

Since Im at a paid dept. I`m goin!!! The fact pple are trapped DOES change things, for example tunnel vision, and you forget normal things. First in, I have no room to dress out in the back, and im holding items for the FFs. But it does change roles a bit, I think.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

No, we donít go on runs.

Doesn't change a thing!

We go on pretty much all calls. I've rode out on a first due attack piece to a reported people trapped in a structure fire, I've gone out on the ambulance to a no-knock DEA warrant that was served and upon entry, guy fell to the ground and had 10/10 chest pains.

"Load up junior!"
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Default I was on this one

I took in this call with your neighboring company....641. Coming from the Blackwood area I have a few minutes to get a mental picture. Yeah the pucker factor still goes into overdrive but listen to as much as you can enroute to the F.H. - I come from the Blackwood area so on a call like that I have no chance of making 14 from my house. But I'm coming for the potential 2nd. alarm, cover up, or whatever. As an operator drivers may be needed so I come to almost everything. As you know it was an oven fire which 90% of the incidents at V.G. are. With reported people trapped there were no "Multiple Calls" being recieved so that gave me one hint that this was a B.S. Call however, you never know.....The call for people trapped still gets me even after 15 years in the fire service both as a career firefighter and a local volunteer

yo stratford, whats up neighbor?!

Yeah, funny thing was that I was just at the station 1 minute before the pager alerted. I'm walking down the road towards home and i had my pager on monitor. I heard the tone.....*BEEP BEEP BEEP* And then the crap load of tones after that for mutual aid companies. I was back at the gear rack by the time the Reported People Trapped message came over.

I'll tell you this, I live in Village Green. I know about the people there. Back in november their was a Building call at my building...infact it was for the apartment above mine. I was comming from Camden on that one...Careless cooking...SHE WAS USING A CHARCOAL BBQ GRILL INDOORS!

Remember though, about 1 1/2 months ago at N building we had a living room fire which we had to throw some water. Not all fires at VG are oven fires...however 90% does seem to be correct.

They brought that oven out with all the Dry Chem over it...hit a wind gust...and inhaled some of the dry chem. Lets just say that it doens't taste like chicken.

"GOOD GAME!"

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our explorers can still ride, but they have to be on the ball when they get there and know what to do when the firefighter or officer tells them to get something. I went to one when I was an explorer and I heeled the ladder and grabed the O2. the only time we aren't allowed to ride on the first in is to a Haz-Mat incident. We are to ride in the pickup truck that tows the trailer with the stand-bys.

Originally posted by mdoddsjffhnfc
    inhaled some of the dry chem. Lets just say that it doens't taste like chicken.

Nope, not even close.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

we can go to a trapped person.

ours would sound like this:

"Station 16 Highland stand by for a reporded structure fire with people trapped."

when you hear that you tend to drive to the station a little faster.

when i am on the truck going to the call i am asking what the ff's need so i can get right off the truck and start grabbing things. such as axes, irons, hose ladders, or if i have to run the pumps.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Westville had a dwelling like this last week

Tones: Station 7-3 District 5 344 Hazel Ave A Dwelling with entrapment.

I was on first due Engine Company. There was no entrapment in the fulling invole fire. Thanks to the other companies too. Gloucester City,Deptford TWP, Bellmawr and the IMS team that came in and knocked the fire down. As a probie, i was aloud to.

pics Hazel Ave Job
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

hey rob, i heard about that fire. I found out about it while i was monitoring CC F1. I heard Glou city get called and then Bellmawr for the FAST. I figured that it was big.

Our Chief Fire Marshall was there? maybe thats why county's been trying to reach him the past few days.

"GOOD GAME!"

Nothing changes here.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

I voted ...........cannot ride here
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Temporarily/No Longer Active

The juniors we have can ride on any piece to any call except if the unit is going out of town mutual aid or dispatched as the RIT Truck, also our juniors can do everything except go near or enter the hot zone. Truth is.. if im riding the seat for a fire with entrapment and its just me the driver and junior in the back... he might get a chance to do a little more then normal......

Forum Member

Originally posted by WestsideEngCo1
    Truth is.. if im riding the seat for a fire with entrapment and its just me the driver and junior in the back... he might get a chance to do a little more then normal......
    what kind of stuff ???????
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

I'm sorry but if I'm running with A Driver Myself & a Junior they are staying put next to that truck when we pull up to the house. Fortunatley in my area the 2nd due truck or engine will be only a minute or 2 out. Maybe if I'm doing a sizeup if Im the first truck there I'll have them pull a line or somethin to where I Need it but other than that...There next to the truck to assist the driver...Happened to me many of times when I was an explorer pulled up to a workin fire on the engine got off and everyone else went to work and I was with the driver doing driver things....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

I once use to be a cadet at my station. We werent allowed to run on calls at all. We wanted to but arent allowed to and for good reason. Anyone who is under the age of 16....or 17 for that matter should'nt be allowed to run anycalls unless you have full EMT-B and FireFighter 1 or 2 training. I dont care, there is no reason to have untrained people on the fireground regardless.
    Rescue Squad 12 to FireAlarm!!.....Squad 12?.....Give Me The 3 Alram!!!!!!

Thread Information