IACOJ Agitator

Default History Lesson: Why are Fire Engines Red?

From PBS.org's "Firehouse Primer" in regards to FDNY:

Why are fire engines red?

Before firefighting was a paid profession, most communities were served by volunteer fire departments. These firemen didn't have much money to spend on upkeep, and at the time red was the least expensive color of paint. Red wasn't the only color used, however. Before it merged with the force in Manhattan, the Brooklyn Fire Department painted its apparatus a two-tone green to distinguish them from the red apparatus of the Metropolitan Fire Department. Today, there are still different colored fire engines, but red is the most common color out of tradition.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question A Second Opinion...............

With all due respect to my esteemed colleague from the Nut, Uh, Oops, make that Nutmeg State, are red rigs really still in the majority?? Based on what I see here in the Mid-Atlantic, and the photos in the Trade Publications, Solid Red seems to be getting less use as White over Red moves into the top spot followed by a White with Red Stripes style coming in second. We ( www.gdvfd18.com ) went to Chrome Yellow in 1968 and still use it. We have placed an order for a pumper from Pierce that will be the first unit with a major change to that style since Black stripes were added in 1992. The new pumper will have a solid Black (Chicago style) Top over the Yellow. Speaking of which, The Black over Red seems to be the fastest growing color combination out there. Rebuttals??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

These firemen didn't have much money to spend on upkeep, and at the time red was the least expensive color of paint.
    I had heard the opposite. The story I heard was that red was teh most expensive color because of the pigments. Back in teh day all of the departments apparatus were show pieces and parade pieces so tehy spent a lot of money on the bells and whistles, and red was the most expensive. Then they trimmed them with gold leafing to add extra pizzazz to the rig.

I think the History Channel had a show on old fire engines and their history that restated this, but it wasn't the first place I heard it.

hwoods:

Black over yello sounds interesting. I'd have to see it to make an opinion though. I worked on a POC department adn we had white rigs with a red scotchlite stripe on them. Everyone else had red around us so we always knew where we were on scene, and the rigs looked really sharp. I do like the Chicago paint scheme of black over red adn a lot of metro Boston departments are switching - I think it looks better than white over red.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Default as Kermit the Frog says....

it's not easy being green
    Last edited by Bones42; 03-15-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default Re: as Kermit the Frog says....

Originally posted by Bones42
    it's not easy being green
    I dunno Bones, that truck looks more Canary Yellow from here. Maybe I need to adjust the color of my monitor.

Thats ok, my FDs apparatus used to be red but switched over to yellow in the early 70s. Havent changed back and dont plan on it. Maybe I can find a picture somewhere to post.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Mr. Woods,

Our Esteemed man with the Nat. School Bus Chrom #2 Trucks. You guys are trying to make your truck look more and more like your wife's Bus.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Lewiston2Capt, it's the picture. They are lime yellow, more on the lime side. Went to this in late 70's. Other company in town had all red, then went to black over red. We toyed with white over green, black over green, but will probably stay with the green.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

Default Black Tops

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know where the black-over-red, or black-over-anything-for-that-matter, originated and why?

Don't know if anyone can verify this, but I believe I read once that it began in Chicago back when when all apparatus were still open cabs. The chief's cars were the first to put a canvas top to on to keep them out of the weather, but embers blowing from nearby fires kept setting them ablaze. So, they covered them with tar to fireproof the canvas tops.

Don't remember where a read that. Anyone, confirm or dispute?

Forum Member

Talking

PBS ran a series on barns. One of the questions was why are so many barns red? The farmers claimed that red was the cheapest color. The hardware store owners said red was the cheapest color because the farmers bought so much of it.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking From the Hall of Flame...

Did someone say green fire trucks?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking a wee bit ornamental perhaps?

This is another one from the museum.

MembersZone Subscriber

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know where the black-over-red, or black-over-anything-for-that-matter, originated and why?
    I thought it was Boar's Head

Forum Member

Default Black over Red

I have heard that Chicago went to Black over Red in memory of their fallen Firefighters. Mikey, can you help?

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah, i heard that too about the black tops for chicago,
    somebody also braught up that they have a single green light on their light bars, i cant confirm this, but i was curious because i have a code 3 truck and its got a green light. i was just curious as to waht that was for as well.

woot woot, lime green! the lime green tends to be more visiable at night, and out in the boons where we live, it can get pretty dark and hard to see.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It may be different there but in most areas the green light indicates command post location.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CHICAGO FIRE

Hey All,

While I can't post any comment on the original color of fire trucks, I can clear up that Chicago color and light question.

The tops of (upper 3/8ths) of Chicago Fire engines ARE INDEED painted black as a reminder of all the CFD members who made the ultimate sacrafice. The idea is to show how proud the department is, with bright red trucks, but to never forget those who have paved the way before.

Now the green lights on the side...Contrary to popular belief, the lights do not represent any symbolism of a command post. The CFD had a chief, (the dates of his term now escapes me) but this man was an avid fisherman. He decide to place red and green lights on the side of an engine,(just like they do with a boat) so that you could tell at a glance what side of the engine you are looking at (port or starboard). This chief was a well liked, well respected man, and his "improvements are still shown on their apparatus today.

Gregg
    Firefighter
    St. Louis Fire Dept.

In Loving Memory of
    Derek Martin
    Robert Morrison
    Killed Operating on Box 3039
    May 3rd, 2002

ONE SQUAD
    ONE FAMILY
    BROTHERS FOREVER

MembersZone Subscriber

On the subject of fire engine colors, does anyone have a source for a jpeg of a purple engine?

I did a just-for-fun powerpoint presentation in my son's 1st grade class and I couldn't find a good one (I had just about every other color, though).
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

I cant remember the source but I read a report a few years ago that showed that the color of a rig had no bearing on the visibility of it and that's why a lot of depts are going back to some combination of red for tradition.

Now for the lighter side

Trucks are like tomatoes

Green ones aren't done yet

Bright red ones are just right

Dark red ones are getting soft

And well We all know what is white on a tomato

I drive a Dark red truck
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

North Montgomery TX is powder blue on all units. I tried to find a picture somewhere. They're not the only ones, there are a few depts that have powder blue.

Bryn Mawr PA is green and yellow: http://www.brynmawrfirecompany.org/Apparatus.html

Plymouth FC PA is purple. At least it looks that way to me.

http://www.plymouthfireco.com/

The PA Firefighter site also has a lot of pages of different color trucks and cool graphics. http://www.pafirefighter.net/

former FH.com member

Thumbs up

San Antonio's fleet is still in the process of "ripening" from green-yellow back to a nice white over red. (Much to everyone's delight )
    Last edited by SAFD46Truck; 02-04-2007 at 01:59 AM.

Forum Member

Default Blue rocks!

I figure I will say this first, real fire trucks are blue!

Our Engines are blue with white striping, got to www.walkersvillevfc.com for pics

Our Rescue units our white with blue stipes, www.wvrc24.com for pics
    Proud to be IACOJ!
    MD FF/EMT

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Re: Blue rocks!

Originally posted by mustang911
    I figure I will say this first, real fire trucks are blue!
    So, do you have an opinion on ET 184?
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Graceham? If its not blue, I don't like it! Actually, I haven't seen 184 before, and its not that I don't like red trucks, but blue is my favorite color!
    Proud to be IACOJ!
    MD FF/EMT

Forum Member

i don't have a pic but the cool trucks around here are from my dad's depatment. they are red with a black stripe and the stribe is lined with gold. looks real good. these trucks took over the slime-lime ones.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

has any one seen a bright orange truck???

our new haz-mat truck is really bright orange. even brighter than slime-lime. i will look for a pic.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Thread Information