Question What is it like to be a career firefighter?

Hey guys, I am a volunteer in Virginia writing an essay and I wanted to get some comments from you career guys about what it is like to be a career firefighter? Can you tell me about the comraderie? The calls? The politics? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Forum Member

Default Career Job

This job is the best in the world. Getting paid for doing something you love to do is one of the best feelings I've had. The day I was actually hired was even better. Not many people can say "I can't wait to go to work today" - I can and mean it. I am 1 of 5 Fulltime Career Members of a Volunteer Fire Company in Northern Delaware. We mainly man the Ambulance from 6am to Mid-Night {Two Career people during the day 6am to 6pm} and me from 4pm to 12am Mon.-Fri. We staff Fire Apparatus when there isn't enough manpower from the volunteers or any confirmed "Working Alarm" - Yeah most people don't go to work and Mop Floors, Clean Toliets, and dump trash which most Career Firefighters wil tell you is the Crappy part of this job...As far as the calls are concerned Fires are the same as they are for Volunteers...HOT, SMOKY,AND DANGEROUS. I and my four co-wokers have excellant working and friendly relationships with the Volunteers of the company we work for. We are treated as equals even though we are "The Paid Guys" in a volunteer station - we train together with the volunteers and learn from each other. -- In short I love my job and wouldn't trade it for anything...Even if I hit the lottery I'd still come to work each afternoon simply because I love what I do and I worked very hard for the last 15 years to get to where I am -- I have fully paid benifits, a 25 year to retirement full pension, Uniforms, and a 401K to name a few of the perks {As well as a 56' Wide screen TV and a leather recliner to relax in after my toliets are cleaned ha ha ha} - But seriously Being a career firefighter is a rush I think...No two shifts are ever the same. I worked as a Trucking Terminal Manager for 6 years before being hired as a Firefighter and I have to tell you...Each morning I'd come into my office handle the same problems every day {Budgets, Drivers, Plans} be on the phone half the day and work sometime well into the evenings only to start all over the next morning. Ugggg I'm glad I'm where I am today....Hope some of this helps your research

Smile

You really have helped me alot. I have asked several people all the same questions and finally had my questions answered the way I was hoping they would. No one could tell me anything about the comraderie in the stations or how they felt when it was time to go to work, but you did, THANK YOU!

Forum Member

You're quite welcome....Glad I was able to help

Thread Information