Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SFDredhat126's Avatar

Default Pump panel headset mic

We are putting together a new truck, and I would like to get a wirless headset w/ mic for the engineer. Our current trucks are hard-wired and it's a pain to be tied right to the truck. I don't know much about wireless.

I assume you could do it two ways: Get a two-way portable radio with a headset, which could restrict us in some parts in our district. Or, have one that transmits through the truck radio, which would transmit and recieve transmissions clearer.

Anyone have any suggestions about the best way to do this?

With my experience responding with a department that heavily relies on headsets while on-scene, I haven't noticed a problem with a two-way with a headset or the truck connected headsets. Though it may be costly to do this, the truck has been "plumbed" with different places to connect the headset outside. IE: The pump panel on each side, rear compartment where extrication equipment pump is has a connection, on top of the truck where the roof-top storage is has a connection (I think), and the front of the truck also has a connection I believe. This way you are not "tied" to the apparatus in one location, you can move around the truck as you need.

Just my 0.02

We don't have many problems with the hard wired set-up (using a pump panel connection wired to the mobile radio, and then using a portable if away from the headset), but that may not be the case for everyone. What has been discussed is putting a vehicular repeater in one of the trucks that will most likely always be on scene. This would make it possible to set up a portable w/ a headset for use by the pump operater and allow other portables longer range communications if needed-solving two problems with one solution. One of the downsides to using portables is you now have to make sure the battery-or batteries are charged and spares are available. Maybe the best solution is a combination of both-most likely not costing much more than the repeater solution alone.

I know how it is with portables being "unrelaiable" in areas, being in a rural area, there are quite a few areas that portables can't reach dispatch. One thought would be to get a "rat pack" (a portable radio that transmits to the mobile radio in the truck and being repeated through the trucks mobile radio..basically being a portable extention of the trucks radio) and using that as a "wireless" headset.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Our driver get their own portable with headset, that transmits through a truck mounted repeater. Seems to work well and allows the driver full movement around the truck and constant communications.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We currently transmit on the 800 system. We are using the David Clark system in our apparatus. We are able to hook the headset into an extension of our radio and we have had no problems at all hitting the repeater. However I sometimes just like to carry a hand-held by itself so that I am able to monitor the sounds of the pump.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have two engines. One has each system. I like the separate portable because it allows the operator to move all the way around the truck doing hookups or other stuff he/she needs to. With the permanant hookup on the truck, to go to the otherside, the operator may miss some communication.

We are blessed with a fairly reliable radio system here so the portable rarely has those problems of not "getting into" the radio system. If there is an area where the portable isn't getting into the system, generally the big radios don't hit it either.

I've used other trucks that just have a head, an external speaker and a hand mic near the pump panel (in a protected area). The only issue I've seen with that is the noise of the pump can sometimes cause problems with hearing the radio.

Thread Information