MembersZone Subscriber

Default AHH! FDNY information overload !!

I just want to say hi to everybody out there that post in this section. I have been reading many of your FDNY posts and they have been really helpful. My name is Greg, and I have been on the job for almost 8 years and am presently with the St. Louis Fire Department

First, this site is just UN-F'N Believable in regards to how much information gets passed around. I have learned more about the FDNY in the last few nights, reading these posts, than I have since I started this process 1 1/2 ago. Unfornately that is part of my problem. You see, unlike many on here that are from the Northeast, we here in the Midwest don't NEAR the good information on FDNY that you guys can kick around. So if you don't mind, I would just like to ask just three simple questions, and see if my brothers out there can't help me out.

First.
    With a score of 96+100 with no residency (obviously), when can I expect a call from NY? Three years, Six, Eight?!?!

Second.
    If I move up there, will they reajust the score to reflect the new residency?

Third.
    Just out of curiosity, how many, per class, get put through the FDNY academy?

Guys, I really appriciate any information you can give, it is just really frusterating being so far away, and gettting such scattered information. I know that if anyone can give good information, it is the guys in this forum.

Thanks in advance.

Gregg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    IN LOVING MEMORY OF

DERREK MARTIN
    ROBERT MORRISON

STLFD RESCUE SQUAD 1

KILLED OPERATING ON BOX 3924 MAY 3RD, 2002

ONE SQUAD
    ONE FAMILY
    BROTHERS FOREVER

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi greg,

Well to answer your 1st question with a 96/100 your probably sitting very well on the new list(when it gets established) so just guessing i'd say maybe a year (they are hiring faster and more then previous years unfortantly we all know why), 2nd- No your score wont be adjusted because I believe the dead line to claim residence credit was the day of your physical (but it could have changed) but I believe once the list is established you can't claim any credit to adjust your ranking, and 3rd It all depends on the retirements and the FDNY's head counts, some classes were 300+ and others were 200+ I guess it just depends on the number or personnel they need at the time the class goes in. I hope this helps you out a bit, I know that not knowing anything or hearing anything is the ABSOLUTE worst..

Good luck !!

Forum Member

Question

I asked this question a few weeks ago, and never really got a response. Maybe someone with, or has knowledge of the FDNY can help me out. Ive heard that "in most cases" the FDNY test is given every 4 years, is it 4 years from when the test was given? or 4 years from when the list is established? I know theres no real definitive answer, but anything would help. Im workin on a paper about hiring processes for a class....thanks in advance!

MembersZone Subscriber

The waiting, wondering, not knowing a thing, and living so far from where you are trying to get on is DEFINATELY the hardest part of the prcess.

fieldseng2

I have a question....just call me a knucklehead...why would ya wanna leave a big city fd like st louis to another dept?

From what I read on WOF you guys are always rockin, earnin your keep, new rigs and all.

I work on a big dept (34 firehouses) and I love it here. Sure we have our problems...but its a great job.

Ive been here for 10 years and couldnt imagine leavin here.

Just wonderin...are things THAT BAD in St louis?

IFDTRK13

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Not Bad At All

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 11:25 PM.

JAFO2004 Because the FDNY walks on water....

I have all the respect in the world for my brothers/sisters (and several of my good friends) @ the FDNY.................

I'm pretty sure they don't walk on water....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Why so angry?

JAFO2004,

Why the angry face. Are you jealous of the FDNY? or the poeple that apply there? What's up man?
    Because the FDNY walks on water....

Greg,

Good luck with your quest.although I'm sure there are brothres out there that would consider STLFD the "All-Star" game..

JAFO2004........

IM SOOOOOOOOOOO sorry if I offended the sacred name of the FDNY

IFDTRK13

MembersZone Subscriber

IFDTRK13,

Are you from Indy? If so give that wiseguy Hanify my regards.

fieldseng2

(STLFD Hopeful BTW)
    Last edited by fieldseng2; 03-26-2004 at 04:48 PM.

former FH.com member

Originally posted by JAFO2004
    Just a question but what does the following statement mean?

Expand mentoring programs that target minorities and women and maintain contact with minorities who have passed firefighter exams but have not yet been appointed.

Am I the only one who has a problem with this statement?

I guess because I am NOT a minority they dont want to keep in contact with the men/women who are non-minority and passed? Not for nothing but this minority shi* is really starting to **** me off!!!
    Listen Bro, I understand your anger here, but letting your BP skyrocket isn't gonna help you. I agree that it is BS, but you have to let it go and concentrate on getting the job anyway/anywhere you can. There IS a job out there with your name on it if you want it bad enough. -46

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah JAFO SAFD is right....dont worry about anyone else and just focus on your own stuff b/c otherwise itll drive you nuts....but ill be honest with you man i just finished my tests today, and through the whole process i didnt see one woman and i saw MAYBE 10 guys that might be considered a minority, so dont sweat it dude

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, on a lighter note:

Has anyone from the new exam heard anything about going into the May class? - Best of luck guys!

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah muttly,

i had my medical this morning, and from what i was hearing around there was that this will be the last class they use the old list really, but there isnt enough of em to fill up may, so the guys at the top of the new list that are ready and eligible will be fillin the spots in may, but the letters for appointment go out may 3rd so youll know by the 2nd week of may

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok cool, I heard the same thing, I just wanted to make sure, because as I am sure you know, things change at the blink of an eye.

Good luck....

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks dude....you too and good luck to everybody....oh and a little hint for all of you who havent gotten your packets yet....dont worry youll get on just be paitent and prepared....and make sure your in SHAPE for your medical....half my group failed it and has to go back

Thread Information