Thread: Fdny Bashing

Default Fdny Bashing

I urge all users of this board to check out the NYPD rant board where a majority of the posts are to bash the FDNY. Go to www.ezboard.com Type in NYPD then go to the rant board. I have been a member of the FDNY for over twenty years and I cant believe what I have read on this board, and what the NYPD thinks of us. Especially now with all the bad press weve been getting lately. Be cautioned its not for the weak at heart, the rants get pretty nasty.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

STICKS and STONES .....
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

It really doesn't bother me. I am just suprised that these guys don't have something better to do with their time. They have enough of their own problems.

Forum Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are over 30k Police Officers in NYC and 13k Firefighters. I am sure that those who bother posting (anonymously of course)dont represent the majority of the NYPD..Just like those "bad apples" (and yes there are bad apples in the fire service) in the FDNY and points beyond dont represent the entire fire service as a whole. I do detect a whiff of.. for lack of a better word, "jealousy" in some of those posts. As sad and stupid as that may seem.... The Chicago Fire Department has been getting HAMMERED in the media here. Most of these things dont have anything to do with the "average" fireman. My mother and my sister, who live in the city can smell the B.S. a mile away. It is heartening to know that they can read between the lines and not "blame" their local firefighters for things caused mostly by politics and the media looking to sensationalize incidents that are really not as big of a deal as they make them out to be.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Crime down in the City these days? Those guys got way too much time on their hands. Just think, if they had scored a few points higher, they wouldn't be able to post there......

As 4OEng fondly says, " if this job was easy, the cops would be doing it " so instead they bash online!

the 4-1-4

Sounds like a bunch of "wish-I-was" envy to me.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Jealousy rears it's ugly head on the NYPD rant, and it's a conspiracy theorist's wet dream... personally, I think that most of the posters are MARTIANS....

Moronic
    A**hole
    Rejected
    Tapped
    Idiotic
    Anti-jake
    Nutcase
    S***heads
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I'm guessing that NYPD is soooo squeaky clean - They're never in the spot light ????? Yeah ok. Intresting site though....Never knew there was such annimosity between FDNY and NYPD

Forum Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They can say what they want, just don't give them anymore fuel.
    On another note, didn't the NYPD get the nickname as the City's Finest Taxi Service because of their corruption in the days of the mafia during the 20's and 30's?
    Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

Forum Member

More jealousy.
    As we say around here, if they had scored 10 points higher on the civil service test-they could have been firefighters too!

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

What the @#$%? What are they talking about when they speak of FF's stealing from the bodies? Did we all miss something. Don't get me wrong anyone who died, lived through it, or had a loved one perish in that hell deserves all the respect and admiration in the world NYPD
    May every last one of the living land pirates who stole property from the dead of the world trade center or threw the remains of civilians to the side to get at a piece of Bunker gear, relive the nightmare of that day for the rest of their lives.

But to say that they would steal from or "rob" their brothers or civilians is crap.

Forum Member

But to say that they would steal from or "rob" their brothers or civilians is crap.
    I guess you missed the story on FH.com a few weeks ago about the retired FF that got charged with stealing items while he was assisting at the WTC? Everyone has some bad apples.

See here
    Last edited by Bones42; 04-02-2004 at 04:45 PM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Now I know that this is not exactly the same as taking items off a body, but I do know of a State Trooper that brought home pieces of the World Trade Center as "souvenirs." I would not be surprised if there are NYPD who did something similar. Like Bones said everyone has their share of bad apples.
    Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, there are bad apples everywhere. And no I was not aware of this story thanks for the link. At least there are more of the good apples than bad, so long as we can keep the "green" ones from going bad as well. Stay Safe!

Default MOTTO

I think that this NYPD rant site has taken down many of the more nastier threads on that board. They just seemed to dissapear these past couple of days. There is still some crap on there though. One of their mottos regarding 911 is "All stole some, some stole all". Nice mentality!

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thumbs up

Firefighters from a famed Bronx fire company were credited yesterday with saving an infant who nearly strangled to death on a chain holding her pacifier.
    Little Jahkeny Elvin, just 11 months old, caught the gold chain on a chair she slipped from in her family's Intervale Ave. apartment Thursday afternoon, fire officials said.

Her father and the two older sisters he had asked to watch her were in other rooms at the time.

Firefighters from nearby Engine 82 arrived to find the child lying lifeless on a bed, said Lt. Patrick DiLena.

"You could see that there was no movement. Her eyes were closed. She was not breathing and there was no pulse," said DiLena, whose unit was chronicled in the '70s best seller, "Report from Engine Co. 82," when fires raged regularly in the South Bronx.

Firefighter Richard Granahan immediately started chest compression, while Firefighter Brian Lennon put a ventilator mask on the child and began pumping air into her, the lieutenant said.

Within a minute or two, an EMS ambulance pulled up and Firefighter Glenn McManus ran downstairs with the child in his arms. He and Granahan jumped in to help the paramedic as the ambulance sped to St. Barnabas Hospital.

The little girl was later transferred to Weill Cornell Medical Center in Manhattan, where a relative reported yesterday that the girl had "opened her eyes and moved her arm and her feet."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thumbs up

The city's cops and firefighters are burying the ax.
    Two FDNY crews came to the rescue of a pair of Brooklyn cops being attacked by an angry mob on Sunday, earning the Bravest a top police union official's gratitude.

The display of camaraderie between the rival departments came as the cops tried to arrest a suspected abusive boyfriend in Bushwick. When the man resisted the two cops from the 83rd Precinct, a crowd gathered on Halsey St. to help him, officials said.

"As things were going from bad to worse, up rolled [the firefighters] to the rescue," Patrick Lynch, president of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, wrote in a thank-you letter to the city's largest firefighters union.

The firefighters, from Ladder Cos. 112 and 176, pulled the attackers off the two cops and formed a circle around them and the suspect until more police arrived, Lynch wrote.

Lynch praised the firefighters for their willingness to "put their lives at risk" to help the cops, adding: "We stand ready to return the favor."

Firefighter James Mills of Ladder 176 said it was clear the cops were in trouble.

"They were not in a good way," said Mills, himself a former cop. "There was a big crowd. ... It didn't look right."

"We got off the rig and we assisted these female officers [in putting] the guy in cuffs," Mills said. "We've all got to work together."

The incident stands in stark contrast to past battles of the badges.

Last June, firefighters and cops clashed during the rescue of a burglar trapped in a Queens chimney.

Two weeks later, firefighters accused cops of tossing a grappling hook into the water and knocking off the face mask of an FDNY diver looking for a drowning victim.

The NYPD and FDNY have yet to finalize procedures on how to work together during major emergencies.

Uniformed Firefighters Association President Steve Cassidy said Sunday's unified stand "proves that on the street, in times of crisis, firefighters and police officers work well together."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

All it takes is one trip to the pd rant site and you can feel the bitterness. It's not only there.I spent 11 yrs in a company that was in a firehouse with a police station next door.Alot of them didn't seem to have the same attitude about their job that we do,and everybody out in the street is a scumbag. We all 'got along', but there were times..well never mind.I definately feel I went the right way back in '81

Default NYPD RANT

The NYPD rant site has changed quite a bit in the past week or so. Especially since we helped them out in the 83rd precinct. But the moderator on that board got fed up with all the B.S. and decided that every one had to be a registered user. Since that happened much of the crap has ceased. All the annonymous pot stirrers have since dissapeared

Forum Member

Funny how having an identity makes some people shut up.......

Forum Member

Well it took me awhile to finally find the thread that you all were referring to, and I must say, parts of it angered me a lot. However, I work in a completely different environment, and frankly I know nothing about how NYPD/FDNY work together, seperatly, what exactly everyone job is on certain incidents and so forth.

That being said, it would appear that the newbie cops are 4 square against the FD. Whether this is jelousy from schedule, from FD being liked in the streets and PD not, I really don't know, like I said, Ohio is a long way from NYC. On the flip side, the senior PD members that posted were very forthcoming in saying that the FD and hte PD are both great organizations, but will admit, as I'm sure the FDNY guys here will admit, that with 13k firemen and 30k peace officers, there's bound to be some utter pieces of garbage. Hell my dept has 33 fulltime line firefighters/officers and even we have some pieces of crap.

I am very fortunate to work in a dept that has an incredible relationship with our PD. We had an excellent work relationship prior to august of 01, but after August of 01, when one of our police officers was executed in the line of duty and another was shot in the face over a traffic summons, we responded and did our thing and they did their thing. After that time, I would consider my brothers accross the street to be every bit of a brother as the ones I work with, and vice versa for that matter.

I find it to be disappointing that not every dept can share this kind of relationship with their PD.

Just my opinion, if I'm off base, please let me know.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

April 20, 2004 -- Firefighters who worked at Ground Zero in the month following Sept. 11, 2001, are still experiencing high rates of depression, anxiety and stress, a new study has found. Of 2,000 firefighters surveyed, 62 percent of those who worked in the trade center ruins experience at least occasional depression, according to the study by the Smithers Institute at Cornell's School of Industrial and Labor Relations.
    Depression was half as frequent among firefighters who had not worked at Ground Zero, said Smithers director Samuel Bacharach. The study also found elevated levels of stress and anxiety among those who worked at the Trade Center site following the attacks. "These guys are under strain," Bacharach said. "Depression is up, anxiety figures are up. All the basic indicators are really up." FDNY officials will study the findings and work with the firefighters and their unions to implement any necessary changes in counseling, substance-abuse treatment and other programs, said spokesman Frank Gribbon.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighters rescue cops at fire
    By William Murphy and Sean Gardiner
    Staff Writers

Three police officers rushed into a burning Queens building Friday morning and got several residents out safely, but two of the cops became trapped by the flames and smoke and had to be rescued by firefighters.

The third fire engine on the scene saw two of the police officers leaning out second-floor windows and immediately propped a hand-held ladder against the building and brought them to safety.

"One of them said 'thanks' and the other guy said, 'I'm getting out of here,'" Firefighter Kenneth Devenish of Engine Co. 315 said later in the day during an interview in the firehouse on Union Turnpike.

The fire broke out about 6:50 a.m. in the building at Jamaica Avenue and 172nd Street, the Fire Department said.

Det. Chojone Maye, assigned to Transit District 20, was on his way to work when he saw the flames, police said.

He rushed into the building and was followed by two uniformed officers from the 103rd Precinct, Michael Mitchell and John Johnson.

Having gotten at least half a dozen people out of the building, two of the three officers became trapped on the second floor -- one floor below the fire and one floor up from safety, officials of both departments said.

"When we rolled up they were right there," Devenish said. He said Firefighters William Norcott and Charles Staples spotted the two men immediately and threw the ladder against the side of the building.

"They just had no way out," Devenish said. "We were thankful that they had been able to get some people out, and that's a good thing."

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Three police officers rushed into a burning Queens building Friday morning and got several residents out safely, but two of the cops became trapped by the flames and smoke and had to be rescued by firefighters.
    AGAIN...
    If our JOB was easy the cops would be doing it...
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

The Fire Department has warned its members to be careful entering stairwells and rooftops after two on-duty firefighters walked onto a Brooklyn roof and were confronted by two NYPD cops with their guns drawn and pointed at them, The Post has learned. While the cops didn't shoot, fire officials believed the incident was serious enough to issue a safety bulletin to every firehouse this month.
    "Members entering stairwells and exiting bulkhead doors are advised to do so slowly and carefully, and loudly announce that they are members of the Fire Department," the bulletin said, noting "members must be aware that this situation can occur anytime day or night."
    The bulletin comes months after Timothy Stansbury, an unarmed 19-year-old boy, was shot to death by a housing cop on the rooftop of the Louis Armstrong Houses in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.
    In the latest incident, six firefighters from Ladder Co. 103 in East New York responded to a March 15 call that people were stuck in an elevator serving a city Housing Department building at 400 Williams Ave.
    At around 3:45 p.m., two firefighters in bunker gear walked up the stairs, pushed opened the door and stepped out onto the roof to shut down electricity to the elevator, and were shocked to find the two cops with their guns trained on them, the bulletin said.
    "When they [the cops] realized it was FDNY members, they holstered their weapons and said they heard someone coming up the stairs, which caused them to react in the above manner," the bulletin said.
    The startled firefighters later informed their supervisors of the incident, and the officers talked it over with a police captain in the 75th Precinct, sources said.
    The captain told the supervisors the cops were doing "vertical" patrols as part of the department's Impact Zone Program, which puts cops in designated areas that have crime activity, and that the department patrols housing projects as well as certain private buildings, sources said.
    The supervisors contacted a borough commander, and the memo - which reminded firefighters that most cops who do vertical patrols were junior officers and rookies - was soon dispatched.
    "This memo was sent out simply as a safety measure and a reminder to the rank and file that the NYPD conducts vertical patrols, and these are measures we should take," said an FDNY spokesman.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40