MembersZone Subscriber

Default Compliance issues

I am having a time trying to figure out exactly which standards, guidlines, rules, etc. would make up the categories of statutory compliance and voluntary compliance. DHS references OSHA as statutory several times, a couple of people I have talked to have cited NFPA as another statutory, using court cases as an example (when you go to court, what book is the judge going to use as a reference). My question is, in the state of Louisiana, from what I can gather, is one of the 8 states that don't use ISO , we use PIAL (Property Insurance Association of Louisiana) to rate departments. They advised me they use the fire suppresion rating schedule as a guideline for ratings. (which turns back to ISO, yes, I'm confused also)
    Can I use PIAL as a statutory compliance, or since PIAL is a state level compliance, would it be regarded as a voluntary? Or worse, am I playing around out in left field somewhere?

Any advice would be helpful and welcomed

You have a very interesting question stormkiller. I too am from a Louisiana dept that falls under PIAL. Is complying with PIAL requirements manadatory. I think probably not but being inspected by PIAL probabaly is mandatory by state requirement. If you don't have everything that you need for a classification by PIAL you just loose on your rating. If you don't have SCBA's that meet certain standards then you are in violation of a statutory requirement. It gets pretty confusing because one affects the other, one may be statutory and the other on a voluntary basis. As far as NFPA I really don't know what to tell you. There is a new NFPA standard for operation of volunteer fire companies. Is it mandatory to comply? Don't know, but if you went to court this standard would probably be used. I'm no expert here you may want to seek legal advice.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Being from Illinois, ISO does the ratings. They don't have any rules to comply with, just what they want a FD to have to be able to put out fires. They do use NFPA as a guide for a lot of their stuff. Same as LA, if we don't have everything they want, our rating falls. No fines or jail time, just some upset insurance premium payers. ISO compliance isn't mandatory, but it sure makes the taxpayers happier. In Illinois, the department of labor is who we have to comply with, and since they've adopted OSHA rules, we follow them. Since NFPA doesn't make rules, only guidelines, we also have to try to follow them because lawyers will say we should.
    I'd say if you want to quote some rules or standards, NFPA or OSHA holds more weight than ISO or PIAL. You would be trying to comply with a rule or standard, rather than just trying to improve an insurance rating.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Can anyone please clarify what the new NFPA guidlines for volunteer departments call for?

Thank you,
    Clay

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Go to fireengineering.com and do a search on NFPA 1720. In addition to all of the others that cover, such as 1981 for SCBA, etc, etc. They won't be more than summaries, since they really can't reprint the code, but if you roll over to NFPA.org you can see the section titles and code numbers and you can search for other articles on those as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default OSHA

I would like to show statutory (OSHA) justification for PPE. I have the NFPA standards for bunker gear, but not the OSHA standard and what the specific justification is. Does anyone know where I can get it quickly or give me some specific wording for justification. THANKS for any help!
    BB

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owal..._name=1910.156(e)

29CFR1910.156 OSHA Subpart L deals with Fire Protection. The standard is written for fire brigades as OSHA doesn't frequently cover public employees specifically. The appendix to Subpart L lists all referenced standards, which are for the most part NFPA PPE standards.

Thread Information