Question Joker's Watch History

I am looking for some information about the history of the joker's watch. If anybody could help I would appericate it. My FF 1 & 2 cass asked me and I told them I would try and find out.

Forum Member

Years ago when fire alarms came in by fire boxes on the street, each fire station had an alarm system. In this system, which consisted by bells and tappers were gongs and joker bells along with the punch out tapes indicating the box number.

There was a switch on the watch desk, so you could throw it one way to GONG or the other way to JOKER. the joker was a small bell about 6 inches in size that didn't make as much noise as the latge gomng which was about 12 inches.

The firefighter on watch sat at the watch desk monitoring all box alarms and checking the box number on the tape against the box numbers in a book. The company in the house had its box assignments posted on the wall or under the glass on the desk. If a box alarm was received and the watch person saw that it was that stations go, they would holler out the box number and location and who was to turn out.

I came in under this system and when we retire the old system, I got a complete watch desk array for my collection.

I hope this will help you.

Stay Safe & Well out there....

Thank you for the information it answers the question perfectly.

Thread Information