Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question OOOooo that smell....

Looking for a little help here. I work for the county EMS provider and we've got a bit of "special situation" with one of our in-service rigs. At some point or another, the patient compartment just started reeking to high hell. There's this terrible fish-meets-dirty-diaper smell that we absolutely can't get rid of. Hot weather, cold weather, wet or dry, it doesn't matter, the smell is just there. Frankly, it's a little embarassing whenever we have to bring a patient in there and they have to deal with the smell also. We've tried all kinds of things in an attempt to get rid of it but nothing seems to work. There's a theory traveling around the stations that there was some sort of wax applied to the floor recently and it reacted with the floor material and whatever else was down and it left the smell, but that seems to be a bit unfounded. So I ask you all this: has anybody ever encountered a problem like this before or do you know of anybody who has? If so, how, if you were successful, did you get rid of the smell? Maybe somebody out there has a secret they'd like to share. If so, we, and our patients, believe me, would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you!
    Last edited by eck3190; 04-09-2004 at 11:46 AM.

Sounds like it needs to meet an "accidental" electrical fire while sitting in the lot one night

Of course I'm kidding

Sorry man 9 yrs driving these dangblasted contraptions and never had that one.

Can you track down exactly when the smell started? maybe link that to any changes made. Or is it stronger in one place more (like by a door seal)? I had a rig once with a bad back door seal and didn't find out till after washing it in below 0 weather (Trust me it needed it) and found an inch thick slab of ice by the back doors.

Has the rig been thoroughly searched? I mean everything out of it look under the drivers compartment seats, pull everything out of the cabinets, and anywhere else that could store stuff, even that cabinet that you think hasn't been opened since it was new, or the ones that open to the outside only. You never know where the last crew stuffed last weeks old half eaten lunch

If everything looks OK try giving it a good cleaning with a dilluted bleach solution (I use 10%) and let it air out for a couple of hours.

This is all assuming you can get a b/u rig for its down time.
    Last edited by firespec35; 03-29-2004 at 02:33 AM.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Default ODOR?

Have you check the interior vent hoses? Check all the hoses that come into the vehicle. Something could have crawled up inside of one and died. Or maybe someone is playing a practical joke on you and put a dead fish or something near or on the heater core. One other thing is if anybody body ever spilled milk on the carpets the stink is bad. Just trying to help

Forum Member

A couple of boxes of baking soda may do the trick, be sure to tape them so they don't tip.

An open bowl of viniger may also do the trick if you let the rig sit for a day or two.
    www.gvfd.org

Check your module battery it may have swelled and started to leak, that gives a horrible odor (Rotten egg type)/

my best guess from previous experience is something got left under a front seat or if you have an older vehicle in the little bucekkt.basket attached to the doghouse. I agree with the take everything out and disinfect the whole thing. I hope you find it and can come back and tell us what it was or was not.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Is the smell in the station too, we had a sewer gas smell in the station for about a week before we found that one of the rigs batteries was bad. It took about two weeks before the smell was gone.

MembersZone Subscriber Crisb1419's Avatar

I would check the last time that 3am, I have a headache guy called. And you havent seen him since. Maybe he was forgot in one of those never looked in places. Just trying to get a laugh, I have never had that, sorry brother. But the battery thing is true. Are station was horrible for like a week. And we found it to be the batteries on the pumper. Not sure if the bus could have the same thing.

Thread Information