Post JR/Explorers/Cadet's- Graduating Age

My dept is in the process of changing some of the laws dealing with our Cadet program. My question for you is at what age do you let your Cadet's, Explorers, Jr Firefighters become full active members. This is a Paid/Volunteer dept also. Right now you have to be 18 WITH your GED or High School diploma. We do have 1 Cadet who will be 18 this May and has another year to go in High School becuase the way his birthday falls. You imput is greatly appreciated!

Forum Member

18, no restrictions. after they turn 18, they are no longer subject to the child labor laws. HOWEVER, I would suggest permitting them to stay a JR until they graduate, so it doesn't take away from their school work.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

18, your no longer a Cadet. But you must e out of high school with a Diploma or GED to become a Firefighter. I guess if your 18 and still in school your in between a cadet and firefighter, like myself I turn 18 this November but I dont graduate until May next year.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

They are offered the chance to leave our post at age 18 and become a member of the departments call force, and be sponsored through FF1 and EMT I. If they do not want to do that, they leave. Though, In my opinion the members should be able to stay until they graduate or get their GED. I'd rather see a person on the junior force getting their GED at 19, and then going onto the call force at age 20 once they have the FF1 and EMT.

Just my 0.01, Once cent because I lost the other!

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my dept. our explorers aren't given a spot as a FF. They have to earn it and go through the same hiring process as every other regular "Joe" off the street would. Our FF's have to be at least 18 w/ a High school diploma or GED. They also have to pass multiple interviews and tests to be accepted.

Out requirements are that they Explorer must be 18 years of age, and have graduated from high school. You cannot get into the Explorers unless you are in school, so the last part doesnt present any problems.
    IACOJ

Here when you turn 19 you get off your Jr.Firefighter rank and become full fledge member...
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

At my station, you must be 18, have FF1 and be out of high school to be on the FD. Usually one needs to be out of high school to get certified. There is an exception in Michigan. It allows explorers who are over 16 to take classes for state cert.

My post allows members to stay until they are 21.

I am still an explorer but I graduated last year.

18 years old
    Tell me I forget,Show me I remember, Involve me and I understand.

Trauma44004
    EMT-B/Fire Fighter/Explorer Program Director

Plymouth Twp. Fire Explorers
    http://www.ptfdexplorers.org
    Plymouth Twp. Fire/EMS Explorers
    http://www.ptfdexplorers.org

In the volunteer dept I am in, the cadet program is from ages 15 - 18. When a cadet becomes 18, you have to submit an application to become a probationary member. You can still be in high school. Using myself as an example, when I turn 18 I will be in my senior year of high school but I plan on staying with the dept. and taking Firefighter1 before graduation. I would imagine it is different when there are cadet programs with full time/paid depts because of the way things work. But in any case, do whatever works best for you!

Thread Information