Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BoxAlarm187

Thread: FDNY Medical??

Forum Member

Default FDNY Medical??

Next week I have to report down for my med exam and I was just curious if anyone knew what the max heart rate is for the stair master????

THANKS GUYS

MembersZone Subscriber

220 minus your age x 0.9 = the highest your heart rate is allowed to go.

Example: A 40 y/o's Maximum heart rate would be:

220-40 = 180.

180 x 0.9 = 160 - So the 40 year olds highest heart rate would be 160.

Drink plenty of water or bring water w/ you - Dont look at the heart monitor it will only increase your heart rate (nervousness).

Good Luck

Forum Member

THANKS MUTT

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Your welcome

Forum Member

What else is there to fail on the medical?

MembersZone Subscriber

Stairmaster, breathing test, hearing, sight, drug, TB, and the cardiogram. I think that was it.

Default FDNY Medical

Are you positive it's 220- age * .9? I've heard as low as .85, i pray it's .9 No one in the FD seems to have a straight answer. Anyway, what is TB? is that the tuberculosis test where they blow the bubble under your skin? I hate that. Let me know Mutt. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

220 minus your age x 0.9 = the highest your heart rate is allowed to go.

I got this straight from a FDNY workout book. I did the formula about 3 months before I even knew when I was taking my medical. But its the right formula... Yes the TB shot is the one with the bubble skin. You have an option to eithe go back to metrotech to have the FDNY doctor look @ it, or you can have your own doctor look @ it and have them fax the paperwork back to them. - I faxed it myself so I knew it would be done. Good luck.
    Last edited by Muttly92094; 04-03-2004 at 01:54 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

SCOTT

im 21 also and i took my medical last week...the heart rate for us is 179 and below...i trained hard and i made it by the skin of my teeth so make sure your prepared...and just so you know i had the sheet right in front of me while i was taking it so this is the no bull!@#$ rumor...thats the fact

OK, great, thanks for writing back guys. I've been on that stepmill for a couple of years now and aftr 5:12 it's hovering around 180 or so. A little more training I should be good to go. It is only once on the stepmill, not once for 3 minutes and then again for 5:12, am I right? And does anyone have any advice on how to lower that heart rate? I've brought it down some recently, but i could use a little more. Thanks for the Help

Scott

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Scott:

I'm no expert here, but I'll tell you what I've done. For one thing, I don't aim for the heart rate nuber... I keep trying to go way past what I need. And one way I do it is I keep kicking my *** in the gym. I was just telling a friend I met on this forum yesterday that I ran 8 miles in an hour yesterday. The day before that, I mixed it up between weights and cardio.

One thing that's been a HUGE help is running intervals. If you're using a treadmill, it's like this, you set the speed to a high rate (for example, I was going at 9.0) for 4 minutes and then a lower rate (I went for 7.5) for another 4 and keep going back and forth like that for 40 minutes (that's 5 sets of each). It's suppose to be better than running straight at say 8.0 because your pushing yourself (and your heart rate) to accelerate and decline, while not really changing the distance you'd be going.

I can't say enough about Capt. Mike Stefano's Firefightersworkout.com It has been a Huge, signifigant help for me.

Good Luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Jim

martinez24@comcast.net

MembersZone Subscriber

PS -- an additional thought:

You might want to give up caffeine, and alcohol for at least a couple of weeks prior to the medical. You'd be surprised how that can shave a couple of points off for you as well. I had done that prior to the physical test last August -- no beer, no coffee, etc. and, while it wasn't the easiest couple of weeks, I definitely slept better, and was more focused for the test, and I'm sure it helped the heart rate as well

Jim

martinez24@comcast.net

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah martinez is right....give up caffeiene beer and the like for at least a week before hand b/c that will spike your heart rate...also dont eat anything with sugar the morning of as well...same concept...and to answer your question before, it IS 3 minutes warm up WITHOUT the vest, and then 5:12 WITH the vest...hope that helps

Forum Member

Just found out my TB test fax was never delivered and it has been 10 days since the medica. Has this happened to anyone? Will they give an opportunity to take it again when i return for the stairs?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Did you mean to post this in a decade-old thread?
    CaptOldTimer likes this.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information