Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Question about becoming a firefighter.

Hi All,

Is it possible for a person to be a firefighter if they have asthma? Any suggestions or thoughts on the topic would be great.

Thanks, Chris

Probably not the brightest move in the world, but if you have it under control and can pass the physical and ALWAYS carry a rescue inhaler I don't see a problem
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Default possible???

Chris,
    Depending on the departments criteria, you may or may not get hired on.

It is unfortuenete, with meds, especially if it is a mild to non severe case that is controllable, with that, still many departments will not hire.

This is not to say that ALL are the same.

Depending on how much you want to pursue it, the overall asthmatic condition, documentation in your favor from an attending physician, all of these and more, could quite possibly help you in your pursuits.

I wish you the best.
    Greg

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

Chris it also depends on the type of asthma you have and how severe. Some people have asthma that is only triggered my allergies, or exercise. It all depends on your specific case.

Default More info...

From www.eatstress.com-

Pre-Existing Problems
    If you have a pre-existing medical problem or a serious issue in your background, do yourself a favor and find out early if it will interfere with getting a firefighter job.

All to often I receive calls asking "What do I do now?" These
    candidates have spent time and money gaining education,
    experience and put their life's on hold trying to get this job; when they have an pre-existing medical problem or traceable background problem that would keep them badge less.

Situations like not just one but two DUI's. Knee surgery with scars. Back surgery that would show in an X-ray (yes, they are going to X-ray you back) and/or be part of your records with your doctor and insurance company.

Take the poison early. If you have the slightest concern for a
    medical problem, have the leading expert in this field of medicine (no, not your family doctor) evaluate your condition. If they feel you're fit for duty, have them give you a letter.

If you have a DUI, an arrest or other black mark on your record, see if it can be expunged (Sealed). For other potential problems in your background, have a brief reasonable explanation of the situation.

You don't want to be like a candidate who called last week who had a pre-existing medical problem. They called him Friday for a medical Tuesday. Monday was a holiday. He had kept his head in the sand in denial when he knew the medical call was the next step. He didn't have many options prior to his medical.

The time to find out is now; before you're going for all the marbles.

It would probably would keep you out in the cold so to speak.

I have picked up asthma since being on the job. In fact it is so bad that I have a workers comp claim and an award for getting it. It was proved, through hard work and a lot of facts, that I did contracted this while on the job. It was finally considered an on the job injury.

Every situation is different.

Stay Safe & Well out there....

Forum Member

are you looking to go volly or paid? I think if you couldn't do it paid you can still find a local department willing for any able bodies to help. But always check with your doc and the departments sytem.
    Bucks County, PA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you taking Advair? If you aren't, you should be. Talk to your allergist about it. It is truly a wonder drug and has changed the lives of a few people I know (one a firefighter). You could take Advair once a day or a steroid and albuterol several times a day (and still not feel right).

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Ok, A little more info.

I am looking to get hired by a full time paid department.
    I already completed the fire academy at my college.

Is asthma a complete contraindication or can this be challenged If all tests can be passed ie. pulmonary function etc.

Does anybody have department specific requirements on this topic?

thanks again, chris
    Last edited by chris269; 12-22-2004 at 12:12 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

bump

Thread Information