Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default any big city explorers

Are there any explorers here from a large city department. I noticed that most on here are from rural vol/paid departments.

I’m on two city departments, line-ups are as follows.
    Department #1 Pop. # 175,000 Dept. Strength- 300 Full-time
    Engine-1-2001 Spartan
    Engine-2-1998 Quality
    Engine-3-1999 Quality
    Engine-4-2001 Spartan
    Engine-5-1993 Quality
    Engine-6-2003 Spartan
    Engine-8-1988 Mack
    Engine-9-1993 Quality
    Engine-10-1999 Quality
    Engine-11-2003 Sutphen 75’ Quint
    Engine-12-1997 Quality
    Engine-14-1995 Quality
    Engine-15-1996 Quality
    Engine-16-1987 Mack
    Engine-17-1987 Mack
    Engine-18-1994 Quality
    Truck-1-1998 Sutphen 100’ Stick
    Truck-2-2002 Sutphen 70’ Tower
    Truck-3-2003 Sutphen 75’ Stick
    Truck -4-1998 Quality 75’ Stick (P.O.S.)
    Bat.-1-1999 Expidtion
    Bat.-2-2002 Tahoe
    Bat.-3-2003 Tahoe
    HM-1-2002 Pierce
    HM-2-1986 Top Kick
    Brush-1-1993 F-350
    Air -1-1991 F-350 (Ex City Maint.)

Department #2 Pop.# 231,000 Dept. Strength- 406 Full Time
    Engine 1 2002 ALF
    Engine 3 2003 ALF
    Engine 4 2002 ALF
    Engine 5 2002 ALF
    Engine 6 199? Sutphen
    Engine 7 199? Sutphen
    Engine 8 2000 ALF
    Engine 9 2002 ALF
    Engine 10 199? Sutphen
    Engine 11199? Sutphen
    Engine 12 2001 ALF
    Engine 14 199? Sutphen
    Engine 15 199? Sutphen
    Engine 16 2001 ALF
    Engine 17 1986 Pierce (ex-county department)
    Engine 18 199? Sutphen
    Engine 19 2001 ALF
    Engine 20 2002 ALF
    Quint 5 1992 Sutphen 100’
    Quint 6 199? Sutphen 75’
    Quint 7 199? Sutphen 75’
    Quint 9 2000 Sutphen 75 ’
    Quint 10 2001 Sutphen 100’
    Quint 11 199? Sutphen 75’
    Quint 17 1999 KME 102’ (ex-county department)
    Quint 19 2001 Sutphen 75’
    Rescue 5 1991 Pierce
    USAR 5 2003 Frieghtliner
    HAZMAT 19 2001 Freightliner
    Decon 19 2002 Freightliner
    Chemical 17 197? Foam unit (ex-county department)
    Air 1 2000 Freightliner
    Air 16 199? Chevy Stepvan
    Car 1 2000 Crown vic
    Car 2 2000 Crown vic
    Car 3 2003 Crown vic
    Car 4 2000 Crown vic

Is that what your looking for?
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was looking for anyone who was an explorer at a large city. My views and experieces are alot different than the rural explorers and I would like someone who can relate to some of the stuff. Because there are some subjects that are very different between city and rural.

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

What city is that. Where I am from we have a city with about 300k and a fulltime roster of about 160. But we are just a part of about 9 departments that make up the entire county.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

There is nothing different between big city firefighting and rural. We all wear the same underwear and fight the same fire and run ambulance calls. So talking to a rural explorer really isn't different except for you may have more experience. think about it You have probably seen more high rise that rural explorers and rural explorers have seen more brush and fields fires, and single family dwelling fires. So in actually talking to rural explorer or FF is nothing different than tlaking to a "Big City" ff or explorer. Just my 2 cents worth I am definatly not trying to start any arguements.
    Last edited by GFDSlappyRob; 03-31-2004 at 09:38 PM.

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

What I mean is we all have different ways of going about things, such as response, who can run blues, etc... I was just trying to find out if there were any explorers or jrs from large cities, not to start somehting. In fact I would rather be rural, alot more peaceful suroundings and I love to live out in the country, you cant get that in a city.

I live in a small city, but prefer the big-city type dept. I run with I can run on anything, but I have to hear the tones, or see it on the news. No pager, and my scanner dont pick up my dept. (damn sheriffs office LOL). I personally love staying busy, and running loads of calls.
    We have 7 stations as of right now, but are looking at explanding to 8, and later 9. that means we run 7 engines, 7 squads, 1 Truck (a quint) 1 on duty B/C and 2 crash trucks for the airport.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

There is nothing different between big city firefighting and rural.
    The only different thing I think of would be drafting. For example how often does the FDNY partake in drafting?
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

our aera is a rual aea. the tallest building is only three stories tall. we have three stations. 3 engins, 4 rescue units, 3 brush trucks, 1 tanker,1 command vehicle,1 utility truck, 2 cheif cars,and 1 staff vehicle.

we have about 30 paid on call members. and 7 explorers. we can run on any call that is in curfew. and can ride on any pice of appurattus.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by FDNY101TRUCK

The only different thing I think of would be drafting. For example how often does the FDNY partake in drafting?
    You bring up a good point. The only drafting I could see is maybe from a swimming pool in the more residential areas. By the way EXPRVOL I know you weren't trying to start anything and niether was I your question was just worded like you thought that big city firefighting was different. I have only been to one high rise fire where I had to use the "hotel pack", trust me high rise ops aren't all that fun.
    Last edited by GFDSlappyRob; 04-01-2004 at 07:53 PM.

Forum Member

Big city firefighting IS different from Firefighting in small towns and rural areas.......I will deffinitely agree that fire is the same no matter where you go.....it burns the same and it kills the same and we all risk the same. But big cities have many different types of contruction than small towns or rural areas which lead to different overall tactics. For example in a small town or rural area I'm sure you don't have 5-6 story Old-Law tenaments, which is different than fighting a fire in a wood frame private dwelling. You also have staffing difference w/ big cities and small towns. Also cities are usually hydranted whiled most small rural areas are not, again leading to different tactics.These are just some of the differences.

I also want to add that this is just a stereotype because I know that there is always the exception...nothing is ever certain!!

Stay safe.

At barely over 2 sq miles I don’t consider my station to be a big city but it is certainly a city department. There is NO empty space anywhere.

I agree with drafting being a major difference between urban / rural. The first time I EVER saw a portatank was at Moose’s station. I was then promptly baptized in it with help of my post.

The last time my department drafted was in training to prepare for the potential Y2K mess. Thank God that never happened.

Another difference would be grass and brush fires.

Forum Member

Originally posted by ffexpCP
    The first time I EVER saw a portatank was at Moose’s station. I was then promptly baptized in it with help of my post.

Another difference would be grass and brush fires.

we have porta tankes on all of our front lie trucks (except rescues and grass rigs) we set them up and use them like it is nothing. they are verry common around here. we do not have alot of hydrants here so knowing where the closet lake, river, stream or swimming pool is, is verry imporant. that is one of the most imporant things here on a fire.

grass fires are real common here too. each station has a grass rig.

Station 1 has GMC pick up with a flat bed put on it and a 250 Gal. tank

Station 2 has a 1980 Jeep CJ-5 with a 80 gal tank. (i think this is the best grass rig ever.

Station 3 has a 2003 GMC pick up with a 80 Gal. tank in the back.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

I would suppose I'm from a "big city" county department, but my department is much more suburban then urban. However we have every type of territory imaginable, from rural to dense low income urban. We have 57 stations around the county split into 13 batallions, and about 1,500 firefighters. Most of our stations have two units, however we have several single company stations. About half of our firefighters are Paramedics, with the rest being EMT's. We are a combined Fire and EMS department, and we're known throughout the world for our Venom response team--the first and I believe only fire department based venom bank in the USA. Hazmat, TRT, ARFF, Marine Firefighting, Dive Rescue, Air Rescue, field thrombolytics, you name it, we probably do it.

Anyways, I'm sure my experiences are very different from someone in a rural department, and vice versa. Personally, I would rather work on a large dept rather then a smaller one, but thats just me. We're all brothers and in the end, we're do the same job.

And by the way, YES we do draft
    Justin
    VP/Webmaster/EMT-B
    MDFR Post #1403

Thread Information