Forum Member

Exclamation What is the salary of a career firefighter/paramedic on average?

I am a volunteer firefighter, and i am looking at becoming a career firefighter. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea as too much you make starting. Thanks!

Forum Member

You are going to get a lot of different responses on this one based on location in the country, different pay scales for different positions, etc. One suggestion would be to do a search on firehouse.com for the last run survey they did and check the salaries there.

Otherwise, I am a 3 1/2 yr. FF/PM in the upper midwest and I am in the $45,000/yr. range for base salary.

Forum Member

Sioux Falls starts a FF/EMT at 32,000 tops out at around $45,000. Rochester, MN starts at $38,000 (according to their web site). St. Paul, MN starts around $40,000.

What my my college in the midwest stated is correct that salary is contingent on area. The south usually is lower, CA usually pays the highest.

Paramedics usually make a little more.

Often, however, the listed salary is complimented by monitary benefits that are not listed such as holiday pay, longevity pay, etc.

Forum Member

As a F.F./EMT Just recently hired {Last July} - I'm still in my beginning salary phases. I work in Northern Delaware {New Castle County} - where career members work for the independent volunteer fire companies - Each fire company sets the pay/benifits for their career staff but all with in close numbers. - For example I started at $30,500.00yr. with annual increses, State Pension after 25 years and full paid benifits. - We're Non-Union so if we're not satisfied there is really no one to complain to but the company I work for treats us {5 Career Members} very well and respects our opinions

Over-All I'd say if you want to make alot of money don't go into the fire/ems service - Do it because you want to. You will not get rich in this job

Default Firehouse Magazine

Firehouse Magazine publishes a list once a year of pretty much all the depts around the country. I dont know what month this list is published though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default salary

you can access a list of slaries for the biggest 200 departments in the country by clicking on the "magazine" section of the firhouse website and then going to the "national run surveys" section. one of the surveys includes the starting and top out pay for all dept's that responded to the survey. it'll give you a pretty good idea of averages in different regions.

Forum Member

FF/EMTPs in San Francisco and Oakland start at about $90,000 a year (alot of guys make over 100,000). And since they don't have residency laws, a lot of the guys don't live in the bay area (where starter homes start in the low $300,000s if you're lucky). So I guess you can get rich in this business.

Forum Member

"What is the salary of career firefighters/paramedics on average?"

Not enough!

Forum Member

Our starting salary is about 27,000-28,000.
    Top pay, after 4 years, is about 48,000. Those are base salaries. I've been there 9 years and last year made just under 60,000 with OT. This is in the Mid-Michigan area.

Forum Member

We start at 24,759 for a firefighter/EMT.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

i know couple fire fighter from philly and jersey city,
    philly is around 26k
    and jersey city has the highest 46k
    this is for regular FF>

Forum Member

Base pay aside, including my FLSA OT and a minimum amount of manpower OT, I made 44k my first year, I am now in step 4, last year at step 3 I made 65k.

Enough for me to afford a 4 bedroom house, with a wife who doesn't work and 3 kids..

MembersZone Subscriber

In Colorado, Fire Medics make about $55K to $65K base pay at top grade, depending on the dept.

Eric

Forum Member

Firefighter164: Where in Maine are you? I got hired in Portland about 4 years ago and turned down the job because of pay. At that time it started at about $25k but toped out after 6 years at $40ishK. I did not want to leave my current dept. for that. I'm in West Hartford, CT top step is around $60k plus OT.

But there are a lot more paid dept.s in Maine then people think. Most of them are very small. I have a camp in Northern Maine. And some land in southern Maine.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber

hey,

career ff in our dept. is $39,000 plus another 5000 in overtime. keep in mind this is canadian $$$$.... In US that would be 1250.00 a year.

Regards

MembersZone Subscriber

A bunch of this depends on where you want to be a Fire fighter. Remember that pay is regional and Lot depnds on the cost of living where you are going to work. 25k a year in W. Hartford FD will get you maybe a very scary apt in E Hartford (dont do that). 25K in Millinocket will get you a mansion right about now. I am in York County (Sanford) I think we are paying our probies about 25K to start and rising to the low 30s for top grade ff (not officers) I make about 18 per hour as a Paramedic with two longevity steps and no college. I worked no OT last year other than the occasional hold over and got orderd over twice for shifts and I made about 42K last year. Do not forget OT and jobs on the side, everyone has them and it can make a big boost on your end of year total. If you want to stay in Maine you would be well advised to try and get your medic card as that will get you in the door at many departments. In our Department we have an EMS division and a Suppression division. Each is crosstrained to do the other job and does on a regular basis. Most other depts in the state are not set up like that but I like it as I have chosen to stay on the Rescue (ambulance to the rest of the world). Let me know where you are and I can help you with ideas for getting work in Stateor if you are smart, go to NH with state mandated 20yr pension :-)
    Carl French EMT-P
    Sanford, Maine FD
    Local 1624
    27 years and still having a great time in the back of the truck :-)

Thread Information