MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Learn something new every day!

The video from the Couple Survives Explosion At Gas Pump news story shows the activation of an overhead suppression system at what appears to be a self-service gas station island. I didn't know such systems existed until I read the story and saw that video. I know we don't have any at the stations in our area (probably because they're all old) and I was wondering if they're common across the nation. Anybody else got them?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am somewhat amazed you have never seen them before. I know they are mandatory in this area and assumed they were everywhere. In the twelve years I have been on the job, I have been to 4 incidents where they discharged. Two were fires, one was from the exhaust pipe on a truck being right next to the heat detector, and the last was accidental.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am somewhat amazed you have never seen them before
    That's why I posted the question. The newest gas station in our area is somewhere between 10 an 15 years old. The rest are even older, so I'm hoping to discover that they're everywhere and we haven't seen them simply because there haven't been any new stations built. Then again, I've seen video of similar incidents around here and no suppression system activated.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

We have them in NY or at least at the gas station I go to near my town in Suffolk County.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

I beleive that it is a requirement for all self serve stations around here. I have seen them in other states in the south.

It is just like the systems in the fast food places and other eateries.

As long as the agent and the charge is there, if will drop its contents fast.

Forum Member

You mean you actually have to get out of the car and pump your own gas?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

And the moronic drunk who hit the pumps will probably claim "he didn't know anything happened."

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

We were looking at this at work and I was amazed t osee agent being discharged from the canopy.....I will have to check out a couple of our new gas stations for this ........anyone know if this is some national code thing ? VERY NICE !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey for the amount of money we pay for gas thats the least they could do is pump it for us! lol...see theres another plus side to living in Jersey...on those nice cold freezing days you dont even have to get out of your car to pump gas..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Sr. Information Officer

Question

FACT
    New Jersey, and maybe one or two other states, do not allow you to pump your own fuel.

What special training do gas station attendants receive in our great State of New Jersey? In other words, what makes them experts on the dispensing of gasoline, the flammable characteristics of gasoline or the extinguishment of gasoline fires?

I've pulled my wildland engine into service stations in New Jersey...and attempted to pump my own fuel, only to be told "I'll take care of it.....Please don't do that."

Is there something wrong with this picture?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Where is George when we need him ? why cant you pump your own fuel ? and what prices do you pay ? full service or self serve per gallon ?
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

I see them at all the new stations being built around here. Truth be told since I just started seeing them about 7 or 8 years ago I just assumed what the nozzles sticking down from the roof were. Glad I guessed right
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Forum Member

Weruj1, just yesterday, while I watched the poor soul standing out in the cold rain, I paid $1.65 a gallon. I don't mind when I have to, but if I have the choice of sitting in my warm, dry car or standing outside in the cold rain to get gas...I'll stay warm and dry.

Help the economy - hire a gas station attendant! It creates jobs.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Help the economy - hire a gas station attendant! It creates jobs.

Given the intelligence of the average New Jerseyan...

Anyway...
    1) The other full-serve only state is Oregon.

2) It's not quite a national thing. MA and I'll defer to the gentleman from Cranston that RI also requires them. I've seen 100% coverage except maybe the very oldest, oldest stations. But it's not done in CT. Does seem to be a good thing, given how effective they are (see video!!!).

3) NJ has one of the lowest gas taxes in the U.S. combined with substantial refining/terminal capacity -- lower taxes, lower transport costs = they absorb the full-serve and still usually have lower gas prices than surrounding states.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Now that was a shot!

Forum Member

WOWZERS !!!!!!!!! thanks for the info ..........ya I guess you all do have pretty good over there !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Sr. Information Officer

Talking

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    Some people can't even find the fuel filler.... And forget about finding the dipstick! It's all they can do just to open the hood!!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

And beyond the intelligence issues, can you imagine the static electricity that builds up in Jersey Girl's doos?

IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in NC gas is running $1.66 a gal for the cheap stuff. As far as dump systems, I work for a small to medium sized city dept, and I travel the state and neighboring states quite often and have yet to see a system of this sort. I will have to look close for them now. Does anyone know what kind of agent is used in these systems?

Disillusioned Subscriber

posted by Weruj1: ........anyone know if this is some national code thing ?
    Ohio has required these suppression systems for some time under the OFC FM-2806.11.10, but only for unattended self serve stations. I guess they figure an attended station can take action on their own.

These systems are just a bigger version of the dry chem hood suppression systems that are common at many restaurants.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

All but one of the gas stations in the surrounding towns here (MA) have the ansul-type systems built into the canopy. The only one that doesn't is a 2 pump uncanopied (if that is a word..lol) station. From what I've seen, there's a pull station for them inside, and some also have pull stations outside. The only full serve station here is the one without the canopy. There is also a regulation in effect here...not sure if it's a statewide thing, that you can't "chock open" the lever. The stay open devices have been removed and there are signs stating not to wedge your gascap in the lever.
    Last edited by LeuitEFDems; 04-02-2004 at 08:32 PM.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Originally posted by Steamer

Ohio has required these suppression systems for some time under the OFC FM-2806.11.10, but only for unattended self serve stations. I guess they figure an attended station can take action on their own.

These systems are just a bigger version of the dry chem hood suppression systems that are common at many restaurants.
    I've never paid attention......... I guess I'll have to now. I know the one I used to work at fresh out of high school didn't. Just had the Emergency Shut Off button..........

Forum Member

Thanks Steamer !!!!!!!!!! So far havent found any unattended service stations.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Disillusioned Subscriber

They aren't all that common in Ohio, Josh. I was told awhile back that there were a couple somewhere along the Ohio Turnpike. Not really sure though. We've got just one here, and they tried to build the site without the system. The owner was less than pleased when he was presented with a citation of non-compliance for not having it.

firenresq77, remember that it's just for "unattended stations". As far as I know, it's not a requirement for your everyday kind of station. In any event, I wouldn't want to have to clean up the interior of my car if it went off by accident.

I have to work tomorrow, but if I get a chance, I'll try to get a couple of pics of the system we have locally.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information