Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Default 2004 AFG, what needs did you address?

I ended up doing 3 grants, one for my own VFD, one for the other VFD in the county, and one for a close by VFD in another county.

My VFD asked for:

16 sets of complete turnouts to get everybody in compliant PPE.
    1 RIT pack to interface with our new SCBAs that were funded in 2003 by AFG.
    28 PASS devices since we dont have any at all.
    3 Ventilation fans since we dont have any on our 3 engines.
    3 Ventilation power saws "" "" ""
    1 ATV set up to fight wildfire, we are a rural fire district (730 sqaure miles) in MT, we have a LOT of hard to reach wildfires.
    28 pair of NFPA compliant wildland boots, a PPE item we have never been able to aford to issue.

Came out to 95,000

Voly Department 2 asked for:

25 sets of complete turnouts to replace thier ancient PPE, realy old Globe stuff, very vintage.
    25 Compliant SCBAs to replace their MSA ultralite IIs which just turned 15 year old rendering all of their wrap bottles unfit for service, they are going to be without legal SCBAs in just a month.

Came out to about 145,000

Voly Department 3 ased for:

30,000 to do a brush truck build up with volunteer labor.

Came out to 30,000.

I was pleased with what the departments decided on for grant projects. All of the items asked for are pressing needs and not "wish" lists by any means.

Got my fingers crossed, prayin to God, kncking on wood, doing the good luck dance, no whammies...
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Samson, just have to ask how you got SCBA last year without integrated PASS?
    We put in for 20 SCBA (our 9 units are now 20 - 40 years old), compressor & mobile fill station (have a mobile cascade), training materials (our IFSTA manuals are 40 years old), and a washer/extractor so we can was our gear someplace besides at home (no laundramat within 15 miles). Total project about 128k.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Our SCBAs we got last year did have the PASS, HUD, RIC. Drager PSS 100s. They are fully compliant and replaced our 12 Scott airpak 2s, the OLD airpak 2s which were at least 20+ years old, probly older, before my time.

But, we have 28 guys, and only could fund 12 SCBAs. The guys that dont have the SCBAs on still dont have PASS.

We also plan on useing the PASS units, Superpass IIs, on emergencies where SCBAs are not used, IE wildfires, etc...

An added measure of safety.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

We also did breathing apparatus...

$121,500.00 for 27 new Survivair Panther units. 10 to replace some Scott IIa masks we still have in service, 13 to be used to outfit the apparatus that don't have any SCBA, and 4 to be used for training so we don't have to pull from the trucks when a student travels to a class.

$93,000.00 to upgrade the 31 Panthers we currently have to make them the same as the new ones, instead of the six different versions of the Panther we currently have.

$19,800.00 for spare cylinders and $29,600.00 for other related equipment such as; RIT kits, carrying cases, an Air Source Cart, and four SAR Hip-Pacs.

Total of $263,900.00

In the fire operations and firefighter safety, we requested:

Additional equipment for firefighter physical fitness/wellness.

Additional equipment to update our water/ice rescue capabilities (ee have a recreatuonal lake, three reservoirs, the Assabet River and numerous small ponds and streams totalling 845 acres within our boundaries and share waterfront with Southborough and Hudson)
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Default Combination of things under safety and ops

2004 grant

Asked for funds to have CAFS retrofitted on our front line engine

asked for 16 sets turnout coats/pants/bunkerboots to finish replacing gear

Asked for 14 SCBA masks so that everyone can have their own mask.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default grant equipment

We have tried for the last 3 yrs to get new updated scba's. most of our scba's are non compliant older stuff. and we have a mix of manufacture's stuff. so we are trying to get cominallity throughout our dept. our total came to about 140k. this would also get our vol their own facepieces fit to them specificly. keep your fingers crossed it would be nice to do this. stay safe....

Hey, we went for SCBA this year too. From reading this thread it looks like a common need. We are trying for 15 new Dreager, 45 minute, high pressure units with a RIT pack and RIT line. A neighboring mutual aid company that we run very often with got tem last year. We think having similar equipment is a bonus for our firefighters. We will be replacing 24 y/o Scott IIs. Several have only a three digit serial number! They are in need of constant repair and several can be out of service at the same time.

We are keeping our fingers crossed for this year. Total project came out to around 94K.

Good luck to all!

Stay alert and stay safe,

Phil

Thread Information