Thread: Paramedic

Forum Member

Default Paramedic

I'm interviewing next week for a position looking for Firefighter/EMT-Intermediate or Paramedic. This is a fairly substancial town department with fire-based EMS, so paramedics aren't "new" to them, per se, but they're also not 50% medics either like another municipal department nearby is.

In no way do I see myself as a paragod, anything higher than another provider except that I would be allowed a few extra toys in the box. I am pondering a question that was posed somewhere recently about being a paramedic (where some medics might have the "I can go anywhere" chip on the shoulder). Where do you see yourself in the fire service as a Paramedic?

My initial thoughts to such a question is that the paramedic certification makes me more likely to work the ambulance, which I'm very comfortable with, but then I'm also fully trained & competent as a firefighter for the situations that might call me for such duty. As a "paramedic" compared to anyone else, I am simply one ingredient in the recipe for success.

I realize an oral board has to ask the same questions to everyone, and not everyone in this situation will be a paramedic. For that reason, the question might not come up. On the other hand, could my thought of "one ingredient in the recipe for success" be a nugget in anyswering other questions?

By the way, I am working with information from Captain Bob, reading his book, listening to the CD's, practicing & rehearsing as they preach. I'm feeling good about where I'm going but still have the butterflies that keep me grounded & realistic (not wanting to be cocky).
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

You know, I have to admit that this is an excellent question to ask a candidate. It requires a lot of thought. Do you want to be the EMS director, or help to train up newer members / newer medics. I have to admit that I can't say that I could answer that question all that well. I think I would say that I want to be EMS director and brign the level of EMS to a higher standard and with a more broad spectrum of practice with more liberal standing orders for the guys. This on top of aquiring new technology for the rig.

What town is it? I interviewed at several NH departments in 2002 / 2003 before I decided I would rather be a PA than a Firefighter / Medic. I liked the way that many were set up and the way that they ran EMS. There didn't seem to be the animosity towards EMS I was used to here in Mass.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Default Firefighter or Paramedic

Kevin:

You have a good respose but ask yourself who is going to sit on the panel? Fire officers or medics? Both?

There is no doubt that the fire service has moved in the direction of fire/medics. What do you think the fire officers would want to hear? Could it be that in your heart you are a firefighter first but because you also enjoy the ems side that becoming a medic has made you a more viable candidate for the agency and it's citizens?

Please give me a call and we can kick this around some more.

Captain Bob

888-238-3959

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I was figuring my answer was reasonable to BOTH parties, medics & firefighters. I'm not a cross-trained "hero" that's gonna do everyone's job just because I am the paramedic. I know this ticket buys me more ambulance time whether I want it or not, more out of necessity because of relatively few medics in many places. For callback, for overtime, for the shifts that I'm on the engine, rescue, or ladder, I'm a firefighter. I can go where the department needs me to be at any given time without hesitation, without the thoughts of being "stuck on that damn bus" or "stuck humping hose," whichever a particular member's gripe might be.

A veteran firefighter might take offense to paramedics coming into the field cross-trained, so I would want them to know I'm not there to take the place of 2 people and that I don't think that the golden patch comes with a halo. Likewise to other paramedics on the board (entirely possible), I want them to know my place is not ONLY the ambulance, that I'm a team player & can go wherever they want me to be.

Cap, I'll definitely be giving you a call, and I appreciate that.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Thread Information