Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default acedemic requirements

Does you department tell you that if you fail a class that your suspended untill your grades are back up?? MINE DOES AND THAT MAKES ME QUITE ANGRY! when is Shakespeare ever going to help me fight a fire?

Forum Member

Hey pal, my voll. dept. has those rules for junior members also. Its for you own good, trust me. I have had this conversation with some crusties around these forums; specifically I think it was Hwoods...education is very important this day in age and you need it to go anywhere good... I am in my second year of college and I am not the biggest fan of it but we have to pay our dues...Stick with it kid, it all pays off....ie getting into a good college.

Surprisingly mine doesn’t. Many posts do - especially if you’re allowed to leave school for calls.

As for Shakespeare – probably never.
    But what about math, science and others? Can you say hazmat? Medicals?

I could go on and on…

Default Re: acedemic requirements

Originally posted by Firefighter164
    Does you department tell you that if you fail a class that your suspended untill your grades are back up?? MINE DOES AND THAT MAKES ME QUITE ANGRY! when is Shakespeare ever going to help me fight a fire?
    We do, must maintain a 2.0 GPA or greater. I agree with my brothers on this one. Suck it up and move on, you'll live.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

We have a requirement of a C average.

Now I can see how Shakespeare will not help you put out any fire ever. However, its not the fact of whether or not if this education will help you. From the day I was in my post, the advisors (and me, seeing as I'm a Captain) stress that there are a few things that take center stage over the Fire Dept. at an age like ours: FAMILY, EDUCATION, and our JOBS. It is the fact that in todays society as it has been pointed out already, you need an education. You absolutely need it. Even to be a Paid Firefighter I beleive you need your high school diploma. And around where I come from, we are volunteer, so it's not like I can cruise through school and just work at my Fire Dept. for the rest of my life.

I understand, it really is frustrating, but it's for your own good, for your future. Just keep good grades and you'll be set.

And, on another note, think a bout Chemistry. You learn a lot about the chemicals that are transported on American roadways everyday that you might deal with. As well as the combustion reaction, which you get training to be interior anyways. You learn how volatile something is, like magnesium when you put water on it there. At least I did, I knew about it before, but regardless.

But all I have to summarize here is stick through it: school is good for the years down the road, I hope it does not sound like I'm hassling you, but I had an unfortunate incident with an Explorer of mine, and I don't want what happened to him happen to you.

Stay Safe, stay in school.
    Last edited by MFDExplorer51; 04-05-2004 at 09:54 AM.
    IACOJ

My dept never had any academic requirements to be a junior...I was a junior for 3 1/2 years and in that 3 1/2 years i missed all of 4 calls due to tests and still had an 85% average..All i had to do is make sure i made up all the work i missed.. Anyways no we didn't have any specific requirements to keep responding
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

We must maintain a C average but we dont get suspended persay. I mean I'm not the perfect student and this C average interferes but I just get over it because even though as you said shakespeare will not help you fight fires but its more than that. its more that you need to get your education before anything because nowadays being well educated is whats going to get you these positions. And yes it may suck but there will always be fire. And I'm sure you can sacrifice a few fires and get your education.

Even to be a Paid Firefighter I beleive you need your high school diploma.
    For some they even want you to have 2 years of college.

I understand, it really is frustrating, but it's for your own good, for your future. Just keep good grades and you'll be set.
    Ah so true
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

In Ohio you have to have a high school diploma or GED to just become a volunteer firefighter.

Yes our Department has a rule it use to be a c average but now if you ahve any thing below a D you get suspended for 9 weeks. I agree with our department, we must have good grades, lets say one day your engineering a truck, sure dont sound hard does it? Well if your good at math it isnt all that hard, but you have to be able to add and subtract. Everyone with a line off the truck your running is reling SP? on you, if you cant add or subtract you could get them killed. Lets say your doing a medical run, you may read something wrong, could endanger the life your caring for. Now science, this is a big one in the fire service, your in a house first entry team you got to know where the fire may spread, you will need to know what all hazard stuff is around you. You never know. All in all you need your education. You wont amount to anything without it except flipping burgers. I know how it is, I came home last year with an F on my report card, I know how it feels, it sucks, I paid my dues, I did my 9 weeks and now I am back. Like everyone is saying you may not need it when you get out of school or maybe never but suck it up everyone has to do it.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Yeah, I make just about every call and still manage to make up what I missed and keep a good average too.
    IACOJ

" A hose by any other name is still a hose"

Firefighter164
    How can you be a firefighter when you havent even graduated?
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Shakespeare is part of an English course.

Passing English is a requirement for graduation.

Writing proper English for fire incident reports is important.

Being able to spell chemical names in a hazmat situation, or meds for a medical emergency is important.

Now...put the pager down, and get back to the books so you can get reinstated!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Education is the foundation to the rest of your life. You may choose to complete it now or later ..... and trust me, completing it later is a lot harder. While you may not see the benefits or the why's right at this moment in time, you need to realize that today is but a grain of sand in the grand scheme of the rest of your life. IF you want to pursue a career within the fire service then you DO need your education and the more the better. Don't settle for "just passing" grades, why be average? Be the best you can be, do the best you can at all you do, NEVER sell yourself short. You are young and you have a lifetime of calls ahead of you, just because you may miss a few due to education commitments doesn't mean that there'll never be another one. Stupid people have been around since the beginning of time and stupid people continue to breed meaning we will ALWAYS have a job to do. Your department suspends you so that you will take your education seriously, and to be honest, if you can't commit to the small amount of work that it takes to finish school how can they be sure that you can commit to the HUGE amount of work it takes to be a firefighter, to learn and excel, to maintain a level of physical fitness, to commit to LIFELONG learning to constantly maintain and better existing skills? Instead of having a pity party and getting all ****y about the "rules" rise up to the challenge and SHOW THEM WHAT YOU HAVE. Good luck.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Default Academic Requirements

I think being a jr. member is a great thing but right now in your life it is education. Now I am not saying that you need high grades to be a firefighter but right now while you are in school that is what is important. I know where you are coming from though I was in the same place you are now but you know what i sucked it up and did better in school so I could become active again. Buckle down hit the books pass and become active again. It is for you own good.

C Fisher
    Firefighter / EMT

Forum Member

Here we cannot m get out of school. i wish we could though. we must mantain a 2.0 or we will go back on probation untill grades improve.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Here we cannot m get out of school. i wish we could though.
    Shhh you didn't say thatm take it back we dont want to start another one of those I wish i could leave school because then it will turn into wanting pagers in school and it will go to getting a blue and oh boy, not again.

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...gers+in+school
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

That was quite a fourm FDNY101TRUCK...I got a kick out of the guy and his buddys who set off their pagers intentionally in school,screamed out of the parking lot with 4-ways on and then thought it was funny...lol...quite a thing...I would have been in so much crap if i pulled a move like that which I couldn't of anyways cuz i got the old red brick minitor 1...But my school would phone my fire station to make sure I was there and didn't frig off some other place..
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

FireFighter164,

You are a student, being a junior / cadet / whatever isn't going to help you if you end up not graduating. While I agree that Shakespear will not help you while putting out the fire, it's something that most students have to do no matter what (and they aren't able to try to use the fire service as an excuse!).

You think failing and getting suspended is bad? The department I'm with requires a B average. Is it that hard to get a B average even if you pull a few shifts a week staying at the firehouse? I pulled the grades when I first joined, and still am pulling my grades to atleast a B-. No A +s but I have nothing below an 85 on my report card.

Suck it up and meander your way through school. Your time will come when you get activated to respond to the "big one".

Our department requires a C average, once you fall below a C your on probation if after the 2nd 9 weeks it is not brought up your suspended. After a mid term report if you progress your released from the program.
    Tell me I forget,Show me I remember, Involve me and I understand.

Trauma44004
    EMT-B/Fire Fighter/Explorer Program Director

Plymouth Twp. Fire Explorers
    http://www.ptfdexplorers.org
    Plymouth Twp. Fire/EMS Explorers
    http://www.ptfdexplorers.org

Thread Information