MembersZone Subscriber

Default Question about Bloomington FD

I see that Bloomington FD is taking aps.

I tested there several years ago and just missed getting the job, and I am thinking about testing again (alot closer to family).

I'm a little confused about what their web site says about staffing.

http://www.cityblm.org/page.asp?show...21&menuid=2821

Anyone here live around Bloomington or know enough about them what their staffing is on all engine and ladder companies?

I'd hate to leave one problem child for another in regards to 2 man fire companies. ANY inf on the BFD is appreciated.

Thanks.

Stay safe,

fieldseng2

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if you have your FFII certification if they still send you to the academy? Just wondering. Thanks Lilyogi

Forum Member

I began to wonder the same thing as I checked out that site you linked here. My initial thought is that they are probably in the habit of staffing only the first line pieces, such as Engine 4 having all 3 guys on that piece, and call-back folks probably take the other trucks when another call or larger job comes in. Station 3 would make sense with staffing: 2 ambulance, 2 truck, 3 engine, and the crash trucks are covered by taking folks off other pieces in the department. I'd say maybe Engines 1 & 2 could be understaffed IF they're putting 2 guys on the ladder. What we do out here is send 1 guy out on the ladder, which is the last piece to get to a scene and is assumed it can be managed with personnel on scene. Could be worth a call for ya-- you've been looking to move for a while! Take care, and good luck
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Kevin..

Im still waiting for a call fro, St. Louis. I know its gonna happen...just dont know when yet. Bloomington is ALOT closer to family...Even more so than St. Louis. Gotta keep my options open 'just in case'.

fieldseng2

When I was taking my EMT class 1.5 years ago, I did some ride time at Bloomington FD station #1. Here is what I understood about their staffing arrangment. The two FF/EMTs assigned to the ambulance are also assigned to the front line ladder truck. They respond to whatever the incident is at the time with the recommended unit. I believe the front line engine had 3 or 4 FFs. The spare apparatus (including the ambualnce if the crew is on the ladder) is manned by call-in FFs. The station at the airport (I believe it is station #3) has the departments crash rigs as well as the structural fire units. They take which ever rig is recommended on the call. Our whole county is computer aided dispatched, so the dispatcher tones out the department and advises which units are recommended to respond. Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Safety, I know it's been a little while for ya, but do they automatically do call-in when the ladder goes out? Sorry to be such medic on this one, but I'd worry about a town or city large enough for 4 stations that depends on call-in AT the time of a medical call. Often out here when multiple pieces are taken to a call, leaving few or no people in the station, the captain or lieutenant will call for station coverage. My town runs 9 guys per shift covering 2 manned stations (we have a third volunteer station), and trucks that are covered are 2 engines, 1 medium-duty rescue, an ambulance, and a tower. Engine 1 & Rescue 1 often run at the same time, so the engine is often just MPO & officer. Engine 2 runs out of the other station, has the MPO, officer, and tail. The ambulance is covered by a full-time paramedic & part time attendant during the week (volunteer supplementing the full time medic nights/weekends), and the second paramedic is on the ladder unless a second ambulance call comes in. Usually if more than 2 pieces are out, coverage will be called in. Daytime response for the volunteer engines is tough, but nights & weekends are good. Off-duty guys are often making call back for the overtime.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

I have had a few classes with some guys from the Bloomington Normal area. This is what I remember. The FD's do BLS transport. There is a hospital based ALS provider to do the in field upgrade if needed. I would assume that they would provide mutual aid if needed. Also, Bloomington Normal is one big area, so I would guess that Normal would also provide MA.

Legal Disclaimer: This is what i can remember from the guys I know. I have been wrong before, just once.
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Forum Member

Question

Hey Wub................when was that ??
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure my fiance would be able to tell you. I think she may have trouble picking the one out though
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Let me say again that I am not a member of this department. I believe that the Normal FD is set up the same as Bloomington FD. 2 FF/EMTs on the Ladder and also the Ambulance. I know of the call-ins because they are paged on the same frequency as the rest of the county (McLean County). I only hear shift call-ins when there is an active structure or major incident happening. When I was riding, my crew was called out for a smoke investigation or fire alarm of some sort. They went on the ladder (I was left behind, not allowed on anything but the ambulance) and NO station coverage was called in. I would imagine that a different station was handling any calls at the time. To answer the other question, Normal and Bloomington FDs are only BLS. LifeLine Mobile Medics is the only ALS in the county and they do cover the whole county. We are also using the ALPHA-ECHO response levels as some of you may be familiar with. I know people on LifeLine, Bloomington, and Normal FDs. I do remember them saying that they do respond to eachothers districts for mutual aid when it is very busy. If there is not an ambulance available, they usually send an engine co. and wait for an ambulance to clear the hospital (which doesn't usually take too long).

Smile

I am not a member of the department, however I am somewhat familiar with their operations. Bloomington's minimum manning is 23 per shift. Staffing is as follows:

Headquarters Station

E1 - 3
    T1 - 3
    3N16 (BLS Ambulance)
    Shift Commander - 1

Station No. 2

E2 - 3
    T2 - 3
    3N51 (BLS Ambulance)

Station No. 3

E3 - 3
    T3 - 3
    3N17 (BLS Ambulance)
    CR1 (ARFF) - 1
    CR3 (ARFF) - Crew of T3 staffs this rig as needed

Station No.4

E4 - 3
    S4 - Crew of E4 staffs the squad as needed

BLS ambulances are currently located at Headquarters, Station 2, and Station 3. One firefighter/EMT from both the engine and truck staff the ambulance leaving the engine and truck company with a crew of two until the ambulance returns to quarters.

Published reports in the local newspaper indicate that the department desires to staff an additional ambulance with two firefighter/EMTs at Station 4 during the next fiscal year pending approval from the city council. As part of this plan, the department's EMS service would be upgraded to the Intermediate level.

Normal's manning is somewhat different. The three engine companies all run with a minimum crew of three. The two truck companies are staffed with two firefighters. The truck company crews cross staff the two BLS ambulances.

Lifeline Mobile Medics provide ALS response for both Bloomington and Normal.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any idea what the MAXIMUM assigned to each company/shift is?

So lets say they are at minimum staffing and all companies are in quarters and they are called for a house fire...how many engines/ladders respond? Do the ambulances then get left behind?
    Is thier any plan to staff the ambulances w/out pulling members off other rigs?

1 more question....Is the BFD the primary EMS provider as far as ambulances go, or do they respond when no ther service is available?

However they do it...its still sounds better than we have it!

Forum Member

I would venture to guess that the department with 3 ambulances IS the primary EMS component for that town, using ALS intercept as needed. I wonder if they're only licensed to the BLS level or if they COULD have I's or P's if the department had them to staff the ambulances. Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Default What Wub wrong?

Wub do you want me to add anything about you being wrong before. It's about time for baseballs to be out .

Forum Member

Bloomington is only licensed for BLS transport only (per ilems.com) They are the primary EMS for Bloomington. Based on information from the caller, Pro Q\A assigns the call a code. For alpha, and bravo, itís just BLS no ALS, charlie, delta, and echo is BLS\ALS with different levels of response speed. These are just recommendation, and I can't remember if BFD follows them exactly.

Also, all probationary firefighters attend and must graduate from an OSFM approved recruit academy. They must also obtain OSFM FF2 certification and all firefighters are trained to the Hazmat Ops level.

.zimm

Thread Information