Thread: Newbie

Smile Newbie

I am new to firehouse and new to being in the fire department. My husband has been in the department for about 4 years and my father was in the department for years also. I joined hopeing to help people and to learn and grow as a person. I am starting my EMT basic in july and my EMS degree in august. I was hopeing to get some tips on firefighting and hopeing to find new friends that were intrested in the fire service also. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Great to have you here! You're in for a long but fulfilling road ahead. Best of luck, and keep us posted along the way. Welcome to Firehouse, and always feel free to bring questions & thoughts into the forums. Take care
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Welcome to the group and to the Fire Service...As kghemtp said,If you got a question..Put it up here and it will be answered...Otherwise take in what you can during training and listen to what all the experianced members have to tell you....Trust me they give very good advice and it definately helps in the long run
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Thank you I am glad that there are people out there that understand and are willing to help others

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm still a relative newbie- been volunteering for just over 2 yrs now. A Probie at 40!
    The best advice I can give (it's worth what is costs!)is to hang back, keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut, unless you're asking a question. As you know from your husband and father being in, there is SOOOOO much to learn! Tag onto some of the older smoke eaters, they can teach you a lot of the history and institiutional memory of your department. But also be sure to hang with some of the more agressive, younger crowd- they are probably more actively pursuing the training and experiences, and can help guide you to the "good" courses. I have not yet taken a course where I didn't have an absolute blast!
    Also, along those same lines, try to recognize the slackers and badmouths (every dept has a few) for what they are- they can be a real drag on what should be a great, challenging, rewarding opportunity for service.
    Welcome aboard!

Thank You for welcoming me. I have already noticed who are the bad mouthers in the station, I hate it when adults act like children.

The Chief is really pushing me to go to the weekend colleges and seminars that is really helpful that he believes I can do it. We had a brush fire last night and had to help the forest service, It was so great to watch and observe how everyone came together weither they liked each other or even knew each other.

Thread Information