Thread: heavy rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

Default heavy rescue

we are getting ready to rig up a heavy rescue truck. we are an all volunteer dept,so funds are thin. we have purchased a bed that is in great shape we are in process of finding a truck to put under it. I am wanting opinions on is CAFS systems that are self contained that could be installed on the truck. we need it to be self suportive because all the pto drives will be used for generator and hyd pump.Also looking for good and bad opinions on using CAFS in vehicle rescue situations.thanks in advance
    Last edited by frfd26; 04-05-2004 at 04:58 PM.

dazed and confused

Wellllllll....

Options I'd consider, aside from the limited self-contained stored-air cylinder systems:

Bigger: If you go with the Waterous Eclipse CAFS, you just operate it as a standard split-shaft water pump... no extra PTO's needed. The air compressor runs off the same shaft as the pump. Thus you'll still have your PTOs.

Smaller: a CAFS like Snuffer or Odin. These smaller units are more than enough for vehicle fires, and all but the smallest ones can be used for interior attack. Combine that with a small water tank, and you're set. This will be another engine to monitor and repair, though.

We have some people on our department who feel we should not pull CAF lines for protection at MVC's. I feel that you WANT a CAF line... make your water last, put the fire out, and keep it out. Obviously, just don't open it in someones face. Same goes for water and smoothbores though. You can flood the inside of the car with a protective sea of foam, flood the engine, flood the truck, etc. And with a concern for class B combustibles, CAFS will work far better than water or plain class A foam solution.
    Last edited by Resq14; 04-05-2004 at 08:39 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Check out Crash Rescue more specifically TRI-MAX CAFS. They are self-contained units that can be portable (wheeled) or cage mounted. The offer various sizes. We are using a Tri-Max 30 in our brush/first response unit. The unit is a pre-mixed 30 gallon unit that produces 600 gallons of product when discharged. We have done training on fully involved cars with this unit and have had good luck.

Click here for our setup

Click here for a video of the Tri-Max in use on a car fire

We are very happy with the Tri-Max system. We are also using the Tri-Max CAFS can on our Engines.
    Last edited by TCFD12; 04-06-2004 at 10:02 AM.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

dazed and confused

((( out of curiosity, which PTO-driven HRT system are you considering? )))

We had a similar setup on our old heavy rescue. It consisted of a big air tank, and a batch-mixed foam solution tank. The air was only used as a propellant for the Class A foam solution however, and was not injected at the discharge to make CAF. So basically it was a big APW with Class A foam solution in it.

We found the refilling of water and foam to be a PITA, let alone the air. Plus it's an "all-or-nothing" type deal, whereby if you pull the air valve, the system is pressurized.

It is a space and cost saver, but in the 15ish years we had it, we used it twice (both in training).

I know the price is a tough pill to swallow, but I'd still opt for a compressor/pump setup.

Our F550 extended cab with aluminum fire/rescue body, 300water/20foam poly tank, and 130gpm/45cfm diesel Snuffer CAF unit arrived today. I'll get some pictures online to share.
    Last edited by Resq14; 04-08-2004 at 02:02 AM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Default Secondary Fire Fighting Tools on a Rescue

Frfd26,

There are many alternatives to auxilliary firefighting tools on rescues. TCFD12 and Resq14 both have mentioned a couple that are available from Darley/Odin and Crash Rescue Equipment. Darley owns Odin and they have all sorts of configurations. I only see the drawback on the Odin systems as size and price if you are trying to build them into a rescue where it is a secondary device. For standby fire fighting capabilities when doing extrication or in the case when a motor vehicle accident turns out to be a motor vehicle fire, there are some great alternatives, to keep space available for tools and equipment verses large tanks and pumps. The high pressure foam units are VERY VERY effective, many times extinguishing a fully blown car fire in seconds, with very little water and minimal foam! I am talking like maybe 5-10 gallons of liquid combined to do the whole job, with no re-ignition! It will come down to what your operations and truly what your intent is. I will attach a couple links.

I would also add that you can run more devices off you PTO’s with “stacked” pump (hydraulic or otherwise) systems that can run multiple devices without limitation. I have seen a rescue with 20KW generator, two (2) 20,000# hydraulic winches, 6 reel rescue tool hydraulic pump and a 1000 gpm fire pump all in one unit. There are lots of options for variable displacement hydraulic pumps, that have “drive thru” or “stacked pumps”, that allow you to run thru one pump to the next, simply bypassing fluid, if you do not demand power from the other device. Additionally, Hale makes a dual output gear box that would allow you to run four units on a rig by using the two pto’s on the transmission and then the two units off the gearbox, without limitation of any device! Can it be done reliably? YES! BUT…work with a manufacturer with experience in doing so, to ensure ratios and outputs. I would only warn, that you pre-empted this by saying you have “tight” funds, so they may be cost prohibitive, I am unsure. So the units mentioned below may be more affordable alternatives for you guys. AND I am sure there are more, but these are a couple I am familiar with. I do know each builder has videos for demonstration or maybe even mobile demo units, by contacting them. Worth a shot I guess!

I will attach a few link and pics of ones I know of.

Stay Safe and good fishing!

Fish

Forum Member

Default Odin

http://www.edarley.com/darley/catalo...ion&linkid=306

Many different sizes and capacities of these things.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Default Crash Rescue TriMax

Forum Member

Default Rosenbauer HP Foam

Forum Member

Default HP Foam in Operation

HP Foam in Use..........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information