Thread: Responses

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Responses

I have two questions. First these questions are mainly for all volunteer depts, however all replies are welcome.

1) How many firefighters must be on board the apparatus before it is allowed to leave the station to the call?

2) How many guys acctualy show up to fire alarm activation?

The reason I ask the 2nd question is my department seems to get like 4 to 6 guys (and about 3 may already be at station when call comes in) that show up, vs 10 to 12 that will appear to an MVA, and 20 to a possible structure fire.

Forum Member

Our SOG states that it must be appropriatley manned before the next leaves the station. It would be rare for it to leave without 4 personnel. We get a fair amount of FF's for alarm activations. We dont break it down like that for an annual report.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Generally speaking, we don't roll an engine with less than 4. If it's going to assist a medical call (which we generally don't roll an engine for at all but might if people are at the station) or it's a service call (like flooding, helping PD board up a door, etc.), then we might go with less. We don't like to though because then the engine's not staffed properly if another call comes in.

For a fire alarm, we'll often roll a second engine or hold it staffed at the station unless the size-up indicates otherwise.

We assign a duty crew of 6 minimum for each shift. That includes one on the RA, one on the Utility, and 4 on the engine (one officer, one engineer and two FFs). The duty crew is required to respond to any calls during their shift.

We usually get enough others show up that even when I'm the duty FF, I rarely make the engine. I live about the farthest from the station, so someone usually beats me in.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

If possible we try not to leave without 6...But sometimes that isn't doable...I've been on the truck with 4-Driver,OIC and 2 Firefighters...But generally we don't leave without 5...

As for fire alarm soundings..Well our dept only runs 75-85 calls a year mostly bein medicals so the two tone pages are the ones that draw people out no matter what type of call...Generally for a fire alarm we'd get same turnouts as if it was a car fire or something along the lines of that..Which is usually anywheres from 15-30....Medicals is where we see 6 or 7 people show up
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

I think what you're getting at is the bull$hit calls get a minimal response whereas the glory calls, the working fires or the good wrecks get people you haven't seen, well, since the last fire or wreck. It can be frustrating, just like the sprained ankle or intoxicated subject doesn't get the same response as a cardiac arrest. One night I was in another town volunteering as I had for several years, going up on a Friday night to stay over, leaving Saturday morning. I stayed at the station, but others would respond from home. Noone else was on the duty schedule with me, but I figured someone would respond when the tone went out. Sure enough, call for an intoxicated subject. I'm on the air, awaiting crew. No additional response. Retone after 3 minutes. Second retone, ok start mutual aid. Absolutely infuriating that I used MY time to drive out of town to do this volunteer duty, and noone else bothered to get out of bed to do this call with me. I was so ******ed off I called dispatch & had the town put on automatic mutual aid since a crew of one wasn't going to do anything, and I went home.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

1) How many firefighters must be on board the apparatus before it is allowed to leave the station to the call?
    Our dept. stresses a full crew, or at least 2. We usually can get two in on the engines, which only hold three anyways. But as far as our five seater rescue, that doesnt always get staffed appropriately.

2) How many guys acctualy show up to fire alarm activation?
    We have a lot of fire alarms act. around here, and the answer is, hardly any.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Our engine seats six, and we will roll with whatever we have. Usually it won't roll with less than 4.

As far as # of people showing up on Fire Alarms, it depends on time of day. Usually we have at least 6 people show up, but the engine usually rolls with 4......

Forum Member

OUR DEPARTMENT PRESONNEL IS PRETTY SPRED OUT SO WE RUN THE TRUCKS AS SOON AS SOMEONE GETS TO THE STATION. WE ARE ALLOWED TO RESPOND IN OUE POVS. ONCE WE GET ENOUGH FIREFIGHTERS ON SCENE WE HAVE OUR DIPATCH DISREGUARD ALL OTHER INCOMING UNITS. AS FAR AS THE NUISANCE CALLS I AGREE WE GET A BETTER TURNOUTS FOR FIRES THAN WE DO FOR ALARM SOUNDING OR MED CALLS

MembersZone Subscriber

Our engine, light rescue, and second out brush truck all seat two and roll with two.

Our tankers seat two but can roll with only a driver. Since they're rolling on structure fire calls with many people responding, they usually roll with two.

Our first out brush truck seats five and rolls with three or more. If four are at the station, we will roll both brush trucks with two each if response to the call is light (translation: ain't nobody else comin' ).

For us, personnel response to an alarm activation depends not only on the time of day but also the location of the alarm. Like everyone, late night reduces the response but We've got some repeat customers that have cried wolf too many times to generate a lot of response regardless of the hour. These will usually only get a couple of officers and two or three firefighters. We get pretty good numbers on alarms that aren't regulars.

Forum Member

We only have one pumper capable of seating 4 people. Everything else seats 2.
    How many required to roll a truck? One, the driver. Standard department SOP is everyone picks up a truck and gets it enroute.
    Typical response? Well, yesterday we had a fire alarm at a large warehouse near the City Hall. The paid guy rolled the first out pumper, I live on the same block as the warehouse but detoured to pick up the second out Pumper/tanker. Another volunteer picked up one of our Service/Tanker trucks. The Chief arrived in the City owned Brush/backup EMS pickup truck. The first Assistant Chief arrived in his POV from running errands in Baton Rouge. Total response? 5 FFs with 2 pumpers, a tanker and a brush truck. No fire was found, just a malfunctioning alarm. If we had encountered a working structure fire then mutual aid would have been requested from the City of Baton Rouge which borders our district.
    Today we were paged to a brush fire. Chief responded in the brush truck and the paid guy took the first out pumper again. And just like yesterday I left my house and picked up the second out truck, out new pumper/tanker. The first assistant chief arrived on scene a few minutes after me in our 'Rescue' truck. Total response? 4 FFs with 2 pumpers, a brush truck with the 300 gallon skid unit and a service/rescue truck with the Power Aid in the ice chests in back. Both calls were during weekdays between 10am and 2pm when staffing is at it's lowest.

Forum Member

Default General Rule

As a General Rule my Volunteer Company will not leave with less than 4 firefighters. {Driver, OIC, 2 Pack people} - Now for some runs and depending on the time of day I've seen the first due leave with two but it's rare. -- The Department I'm a career firefighter at is also a volunteer company and will not roll short {Less than 4} - As paid personnel we'll man the engines to make up the shortage {Our main job is EMS} - Or we're there for the 2nd. piece

Forum Member

We role with what ever we have, during the day we may have three to four show up and We may only have fire fighters and no officers. We will role the main pumper with the first two fire fighters and the third and the fourth guys will bring the two tankers. If itís an actual structure fire, an automatic mutual aid department is toned at the same time as us and then we can call other departments around us for more manpower.

Forum Member

@ 90
    Our Engine holds about 6
    our Ladder holds 6
    Our Rescue holds about 8

only the captains, dc, and
    cheif respond with company suv's

The truck doesn't leave without two people. Day or night.
    But usually we do well and get about three people in the moring and a full crew at night.
    Bucks County, PA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Rescue (Ambulance) has a minimum of 2 EMTs and we usually go with 4 to 5 for EMS runs. Since I've been on, I can only think of one time that it rolled with only 2. It was for a medical alarm. I was driving and one of our Captains was in the seat. Luckily for us it was a accidental false alarm.

Our first out engine has a minimum of 4 for any call it goes on (EMS, Fire or MVA). Usually we end up with 6 or 7.

Second out engine is a minimum of 4 and max of 5. Heavy Squad is a minimum of 2, max of 6.

We can usually rely on a minimum of 8 people for calls anytime of the day or night. An automatic fire alarm certainly brings more people than a medical alarm, ill person or in service assist call does, especially at 3 AM.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Every truck we have only seats 2 (driver & passenger). No truck leaves without a passenger. We have 1 Rescue/Pumper, 2 Engines, 1 Tanker, and 1 Brush Truck. When the truck leaves it notifies dispatch that the truck just went 10-8 (in service for those that don't use 10 codes) and when last truck leaves they call in ALL TRUCKS 10-8 so you'll know to respond to the location in your POV. We have 30 on our active roster, 2 Explorers, and 7 retired/active members. We usually get around 18-22 to respond per call.

Forum Member

As long as the first one to arrive at the station is an AO, the truck can leave the station with only one person on board. Most of us usually go directly to the scene.

Normally at a fire, we have a pretty good turnout. In order for us to keep an area fire rating of 9 or better, at least 10 firefighters must show up from the initial station toned out.

Medical calls are different. If it serious enough I think I may need the bus, I usually have to go get it myself. Usually one or two firefighters show up to lifting assistance but other than that, they are usually outside smoking or chewing until we get ready to go.
    Jason P. Brush, EMT-T
    US Navy Police Investigator

we run a max of 4 guys on a truck, but to medic calls or car wrecks we will run only 2-3 sometimes...

I also see that at our department everyone shows up for a structure fire, and a little less for MVA, but usually on a medic call, only 3-4 show up.

later

We are a pretty small department. Many times it is only 1 person during the day maybe 2. So it all depends. If we know that we have the usual crew who runs no matter what we will wait until the 3rd tone out before leaving. But usually we will roll with just one member aboard.
    We have members who work in the community during the day, they leave work and come if we need asst. As far as fire alrams, I think our department is lucky, we have our normal 5 to 6 member crew who is going to show up no matter what the call. (That is as long as they are in coverage.) We do have a few members who strictly show up for fire calls. They don't feel comfortable running Medical calls. So We have a bigger number show up on MVA's and Fires for that reason.
    Many of the mutial aid calls are toned out for man power only. So they arrive a little faster. We hold training together so we know how to work each others equipment. This helps many times during the day when we have a call and only 1 person is in coverage.

Thread Information