Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post FDNY Timing Question

Is there anyway to manage the timing of when one might get called for academy. I know it sounds crazy that I wouldn't want to go ASAP, but I've got some family stuff to deal with. At my interview last week they said they give two weeks notice before academy, so I'm guessing they're not all that flexable. Assuming I get listed, I just need to postpone academy until next spring. Should I do something crazy and try to slow my processing by holding up paperwork? Or should I just hope that they might be accommodating? Thoughts? Thanks for any input.

Are you kidding? I really don't think they're going to be able to help you with that one.

Forum Member

First of all maybe you miss heard them, I don't think that they give you only two weeks notice, I think it is more like 2 months.. I mean sh)&(* they have to give you time to get your life in order before you start going to the Acadamy

As for waiving you to the next class I'm not sure if they will do that for your situation. I know that I am in college and they will let me defer for a certain amount of time if I want to.. For example.. right now according to where I am in the group of guys being interviewed I am looking at either the late August class or the class after that (Assuming all goes well).
    If I get into the August class that will be fine and I will just withdraw from school before the next semester starts but if I don't get in until the next class I will have to defer to the one after that because I am not dropping out of school right in the middle of the semester and throwing $15,000 down the drain for one semester.

You should look into that some more

2 months, I don't think so.... The letters for the May 27th class go out on May 3rd...... I know someone who got called for the March class 2 days before he had to be sworn in...

MembersZone Subscriber

Reality Check!

If you get two weeks notice...you are doing good. I had about a week and a half!

You need to get your life in order well before the academy because you will be COMPLETELY engrossed in learning the job. All Spare time outside the Rock will be spent Studying, comuting (depeneding on where you live) or resting your muscles and catching up on sleep. This will go on for 3-4 months!.

I work with some guys who got the call the DAY BEFORE!!! NO JOKE!

There are provisions for declining an appointment under civil service rules for certain situations. I don't think just because is good enough. You need to ask your investigator.

Either way you need to deal with it WAY WAY before you go to get sworn in.

Best of Luck,

PS: We don't have an interview, so I am currious as to what you attended...if your list number isn't 3 digits or low 1000s I wouldn't worry as it will be awhile.
    Last edited by FFFRED; 04-06-2004 at 12:11 AM.

Forum Member

anyone know when at least the list rankings will be sent out?

MembersZone Subscriber

the list for test #2043 is supposed to be established sometime in the beginning of may, and as JAFO said for anyone who has begun their investigation early on the letters for appointment go out may 3rd for the may 27th class

Forum Member

Default delaying fire academy

Sweendog102-
    You are able to defer your entry into the academy if you need to. While it is very true that they give you two weeks notice and sometimes less, you can choose to decline and then reinstate your list number when you are ready so long as your examination # does not expire. The DCAS allows you to defer your list number up to three times, but you do not have to reinstate your list number each time a class is given.

There is info on the back side of the notification you receive that tells you how to go through this process. I would also suggest you call Margie Prather (Candidate Investigation Unit) and clarify all of the details so that you do not miss your opportunity. To all... best of luck and be patient!

What's her phone number? Thanks

Forum Member

Default Phone Number

Here is the number that is on the letter:
    (718)999-1146

That number is for Kerri Muli, just ask her to forward you to Margie Parther (Deputy Director,Candidate Investigation Division)

She is usually very helpful if you manage to get her on the phone.

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

FFFred's info is right on. And you are crazy to put off getting hired, even for one class! Seniority is EVERYTHING on this job.

P.S. Does anyone here know where TOMPFDNY got assigned to? I keep forgetting to check the orders when I'm at work. And if anyone has any contact with him, tell him to hit me with a PM on here...Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, maybe it's me, (who's still waiting, very frustratingly to get news), but I can't imagine "slowing" the process down. But, to each their own, and good luck to you guys.

Jim

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone checked the NYC.Gov webiste, they posted the upcomming classes. Only thing is that it contridicts (sp) itself. It says the May class will consist of 7029 and 2043 as will the Sept. 13th class. But in the above passage it states: Candidates on other lists will be hired above the candidates on 2043.... How are they hiring guys from 2043 for the May class, but then in Sept. there is another group being hired from the 7029 test... I guess its the "city" way.. weird if u ask me.

MembersZone Subscriber

what's up muttly...

What's weird is how they just pop these updates at random out of (it seems) nowhere... I just checked yesterday and there was no updated info (As there hasn't been for a couple of weeks)

Anyway, the list thing probably makes sense since the guys have been saying people are able to defer their appointment number a couple of times, especially if they're missing a requirement. And the 7029 list expires in November (and they have to, by law, honor the expiration date).

Peace
    Jim

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey there martinez24, have you heard anything yet? Funny I was thinking the same thing. I checked the site yesterday it said nothing new, so I called my investigator and she didnt say anything new, just to be patient (i think there trained to say that.) Then today the site is different. LOL, kind of funny if you think about it, anyway im sure it will be WELL worth the wait in the long run. Good luck.!

Forum Member

dumb question, what do they teach you in the academy if you already have most of the FF and EMT certs in the book?
    Bucks County, PA.

MembersZone Subscriber

If im not mistaken, I think they teach you the way that they were taught, as well as NYS CFR and the proper way to do a building inspection as well as ALOT of other things....

MembersZone Subscriber

they teach you the FDNY way of doing things really...no prior certifications or experience will help you unless you already have NYS CFR-D certification, and even then you get a refresher whether or not its time for it

Forum Member

Forget everything you know.......Your gonna relearn it all!!

Play dumb...to a degree

MembersZone Subscriber

True and True...

We don't give two Sh%#s where you are from, where you worked, or what supposed training you have...because it won't match what you will receive at the Rock.

Any of that FFI II, III or XV or whatever is BS anyhow. I should know, I used to teach it.

Whatever you do regardless of your past "experience" or "Training" you would be well advised not to tell them "you are trained" or "already know how to do it". Or tell them you've been a volly.

On second thought on your first day ask the DI if you can be excused from most of the training since you have your "certifications". It will make the day and your career very memorable for everyone concerned!

PS: just kidding...don't do that. Just keep your mouth shut and ears open.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 04-14-2004 at 11:17 AM.

Thread Information