MembersZone Subscriber

Default Does anyone know about the Palm Beach County Volunteer Division?

I am considering go to school next at FAU in Boca Raton, I was looking around Palm Beach County's website and I noticed they have a volunteer division but it doesn't give much information about it like requirements or how it actually works. Does anyone have any more information about this? It would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

MembersZone Subscriber

Go back to PBCFR.org, get the phone number to headquarters, ask them. Also theres a Department down there on Atlantic Ave and Hagen Ranch Rd, that is a Vollie Dept. Go in there and find out the info you need. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the additional info.. I actually found Http://www.fire-vols.org that is the Volunteer website for Palm Beach county. Now probely my biggest is that I need a Florida state liscense. Anyone know anyway around this?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Ericb410
    Now probely my biggest is that I need a Florida state liscense. Anyone know anyway around this?
    At one point this winter my wife and I were looking at being relocated to the Dade-Broward Cty. I was looking for a volly co. in the Miami area with little luck. I found one in Broward county (Southwest Ranches). As it turned out, we stayed put in NY.
    However-
    Fla is pretty strict on Vollies who are engaged in interior structural FF, rightfully so, I believe. They have extensive training and certification requirements (FF1 a minimum, among other things).
    Read the following:Fla Volly Regs
    Fla State Fire College Standards
    These standards seem to be relaxed a bit if you are not going to be interior qualified.

In short, if you're not dead serious, I wouldn't waste my time.
    I think the way they regulate this is a pretty good thing, even if it does make volunteering harder. It's all part of holding vollies to the same performance and training standards as full-timers. In deference to the professionals here, I have to acknowledge that the every-day experience is near impossible to come by when you're a volunteer- training requirements aside.
    It's (the Fla requirements) one of the factors pushing me to get my FF1 (I'm 1 course shy of taking the tests)and FF2 certs here in New York, as it can't be far behind, can it?
    Last edited by jthomas; 04-07-2004 at 04:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I am told by folks that move down there, a certification in another state is far from a gaurauntee you will get one there, and you will be retested regardless. Everyone I talk to down there seems to think its not because they want to be strict, but because they want to force people to go to thier fire academy and use thier system because thats more $$ for the ones running the system. From what I understand they discourage trying to test out and make it very difficult to even qualify to attempt it with the documentation requirements.

A firefighter I knew here, FF2, EMT-I, hazmat tech, ERT, instructor, 15+ years experience paid and volly, moved down there. They, after much fighting by him, alowed him to challenge the FF1 test only, and then did thier best to fail him on it.

The Florida guys can surely fill you in better than I however, all my info is secondhand. But it definitley sounds liek a challeneg to do anything down there.

Thread Information