MembersZone Subscriber

Default Storm Warning with Sirens Help

Storm Warning with Sirens

Does anybody have SOPs or SOGs for warning the public with station sirens? If so please post or e-mail them to me. We are thinking about starting a program in cooperation with our town to start a warning system for severe weather/fire/HAZMAT/WMD for the town residents. Our siren will do up to 4 patterns so one would be for fire, one for weather, and two more to spare.

Thanks
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

Whenever the county sends the alert over the police computer system, then we flip the switch.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sort of the same way ours will work but we may try to become a StormReady community and I think we have to have some type of SOPs to send in.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

Here in the Chemical Corridor we have more than a dozen chemical plants or storrage facilities in our responce area. There is a network of sirens mounted on poles every couple of miles from each other. In case of an emergency, our 911/EOC can activate 1 or all of the sirens, a cable TV override system and a phone ringdown program. There are also 2 low power AM radio stations to inform motorists who may not be able to tune to TV or answer the phone at home.
    Provisions are in place to use this Emergency Alert System, which is tested on the first Monday of each month, for weather emergencies as well as chemical emergencies.
    There are no Fire Station sirens except for the ones mounted on the trucks and they would do little good since whenever we use them people come running outside to follow us to the call instead of seeking shelter indoors.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Exclamation The National Standard

The national standard on warning sirens is a three minute steady tone means "Alert". People should tune their radios to the local Emergency Alert System station. It can be used for tornado warning, chemical spill, nuclear power plant incident, etc.

By the way the three minute up and down siren tone is still on the books. It means incoming enemy missiles as in from the Soviet Union.

Stay Safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Forum Member

Our County is divided into 4 quadrants and the County SO can cativate all of them or only the siren(s) zone(s) that may be affected by the weather.......... works out good ! We do not routinely activate our "ourdoor warning system" unless something really bad is happening.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I live in a town ofabout 13,000 . The city and county upgraded the old city sirens to be used for storm warning They are tied into National Weather Service computer base,as well as local radio station. After initial warning, they can be used to broadcast verbal warnings to citizens. The city no longer uses the sirens to call in volunteers, so there is no confusion. However, the local refinery has one to call their members in for fires etc. City sirens are tested every monday along with F.D. paging systems, and plant tests every thursday morning.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ours are now controlled by our Emergency Management Division and Sheriffs Dept. We have a Nuclear Power plant in our county so all those sirens are used and the old ones that were up, were just replaced with new ones. The old ones were bought by the townships and put up for storm warnings and are still controlled by EMD and sheriffs Dept. As far as through our Dept. we have no control over them anymore. We had one at our old station that we used to have to manually trip for the 3 minute cycle but when we moved to our new station the old siren came down and we do not use it anymore.
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

Thread Information