MembersZone Subscriber

Default In need of Bullet proof vest

I never thought there would be a time where you need a bulletproof vest as part of your station uniform.

In the past three days (or less) two EMS and one firefighter have been shot at the station.

I know that the person who shot the EMS workers comitted suicide, but I hope they find the other one and hand him over to firefighter, who I am sure can find a fitting punishment.

My condolences (sp?) to the families of the the EMS workers, and I pray that the firefighter will pull thru.

The rest of you be safe as always.

Forum Member

Contact your local Police Supply store. You need to be properly measured for the vest to fit well. Most stores offer vests from several different companies. Go with the well known brands like Point Blank or Second Chance (which I wear). Keep your sales receipt and talk to your accountant about taking off the cost from your taxes next year.
    Stay low and watch your six.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

I've never felt I needed one (yet) but some of the external vests made in blue with EMS markings and pockets for gear look like just the thing for volunteers to toss on at a moments notice.

Forum Member

Dude cellblock, the last thing I need is a bulletproof vest under my bunker gear...

This is getting out of hand. Were the good guys! Didn't FDNY beef up security at their stations? How did you FDNY guys do it?

Permanently Removed

Default 2 things...

#1. Talk to your local PD/Sheriff. I got 3 donated.

#2. www.ebay.com Lots there.

www.galls.com, look there guy. Good luck.

hummm, well apparently it isnt working so just go to www.google.com or www.yahoo.com and type it in. Its a good site to go to.
    Last edited by shaun191; 04-07-2004 at 05:00 PM.
    Rescue Squad 12 to FireAlarm!!.....Squad 12?.....Give Me The 3 Alram!!!!!!

Forum Member

http://www.galls.com/category2.html?...catalog&cat=60

Are you actually thinking about getting armor or saying that maybe we need it in general?
    Remember that there are all different types, so you should probably shop around. My father wears either Point Blank or Braurer (sp?) or something like that. I don't think that I would recommend getting a flak jacket like they wear in the military. Probably too heavy for your needs. Some have metal stab plates in the front and back, most large departments wear these (LAPD, NYPD etc.) Most of it would come down to what expect you might see.

Also remember that body armor is not bullet proof and will only provide limited protection for the torso and not the head or extremities. In other words just because you have it don't do anything foolish. If the area is hot have the police clear it whether you have armor or not. Remember it is better to live to save another day.
    Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also may want consider a sniper on the roof !!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firedawg803
    Also may want consider a sniper on the roof !!!

"Tower ladder one, target at 12 O Clock, fire for effect..."

The world is getting way to crazy.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to sure if you're at all close to Kentucky, but if you are Galls has a sale the first Saturday of every month at their warehouse in Lexington, KY where they have tons of vests for sale. Not sure what they are selling them for price wise but if they are priced like most everything else at the Saturday sale you can pick them up dirt cheap.

Bobby

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bulletproof vests

I wear a Second Chance vest whenever I'm on duty with our auxiliary police unit. Besides the obvious protection from ballistic threats, the vest has also lessened injuries in auto accidents. My vest is real lightweight and comfortable as far as being able to move around, but I haven't worn it in hot weather yet.

If you decide to buy a used Second Chance vest, check some sites on the internet, because one of their vest styles had a problem with deterioration that allowed bullets to pass through that weren't supposed to. It's a well-known problem, so you'll find lots of info on it. From my understanding, their other vests are fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry vests on all our apparatus, medics and fire. These are used mainly for shootings/stabbings, and yes our trucks go with our medics on these runs.We got ours from our PD.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I'm working for the Sheriff's Office we wear Zero G brand vests. They are lightweight and flexible. About as good as your going to get without spending a whole pile of money. Second Chance is a good brand too. Do not go with a "cheaper" brand because the quality just won't be there. This is truely where the saying you get what you pay for comes in. My vest was just under $500 dollars. the more protection you want, the more your going to pay. Mine will supposedly stop a .44 mag at point blank range. Trust me, you do not want a full tactical vest like the swat teams use. They are about 30-40lbs with thick steel trauma plates in the front and back of them. They are hotter than the devil's drawers and not very flexible. You can put them on but won't be much help.

Check with your local law enforcement either police or county sheriff. We have to rotate every 5-7 years or so otherwise they will not guarantee the vests. We toss ours even though they are still good. Maybe you can get someone to donate some to the fire department instead of buying new ones to save some cash.

Or, just stay the heck out of the area until law enforcement says the coast is clear.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Thread Information