Thread: Decon

Default Decon

When would dry decon be appropiate? From what I have read it is mainly used in the very large decon situations ( urban areas many victims).
    Is it also used with the victim who has been exposed to a water reactive chemical, instead of gross decon?
    If you have any ideas feel free to express them.
    Thanks
    sbjake732

Forum Member

We use dry decon almost all of the time. We use it when we cut the PPE off of the entry team. The key is the vapor hazard to the decon personnel, so, before you do it, you have to understand the physical and chemical properties of the material(s) involved, and perform appropriate air monitoring.

For water reactives, get as much material as you can off of the person by other methods, and then make them very wet. If you don't, the material will just react with the water in the body anyway, and it will probably do more harm while it does that. A lot of common water reactives make acid or base when they react, so the wet decon takes care of the secondary problem, too. Know what will be produced before you start.

In my experience, if someone has a bad water reactive chemical on them, they've usually taken care of things before I get there. They're typically pretty motivated. Just finish (or let them finish) the decon they already started, and move on from there.

Thread Information