Unhappy so hard to find work

why is it so hard to find work in the fire field? i work with a career firefighter at a private ambulance service. i asked him if he knew any places hiring and he said no. another career ff asked him the same question a few days later(he didn't know i was around the corner)and he told him to come up and he would get him a job. he was hired three days later. i understand the iaff thing but, as a professionally carded ff why are none of the career ff willing to help out the people trying to get started? i am 21 and am running out of wall space to hang all my certifications. i am a lt at my volunteer dept, but i can not get a job. everyone wants a medic card but don't understand i have to work to pay bills. medic class is a full time thing from what i hear. i mean come on is a basic not good for anything but a transporter anymore? i want to advance but no one will help. if anyone can give me advice i would appriciate it.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

I think your answer is right here.... you have answered your own question...twice!

Posted by stvfd1237 on the volunteer forum

what's up? first i want to ask you where you run in ohio. just curious. second i wanted to say i have a lot of "whoo whoo" lights . people mistake my ranger for a squad all the time. ebay is the way to go for lights and sirens. but read the descriptions. i have two strobes in my corners leds in my grill and a mx 7000 five rotator lightbar on my truck. people pull over for my truck before my squad. if you want a truck that lights up the night sky don't worry about what others say. the more lights the safer. for people who don't want lights thats cool. see you at the scene. i enjoy running l and s. i get hassled for my lights and i tell them to @#$% themselves. there just jealous cause people see me first. anyways respect your elders but don't call anyone sir but your chief. he is the only that deserves it. and i am a lt so take it from me. i get mad when people call me sir. have fun and don't forget to tell me where you run. i like to meet locals.

and here...

am 21 been on my dept for two years. i am a lt with hords of training under my belt. a good tip for you would be to take all the additional training you can. don't take crap about other except with your friends. for some reason i always get in trouble for using my 1st admindment rights...well have fun and listen to your elders...training never takes place of experience. remember one thing...a good ff knows how...an educated ff knows why
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 04-08-2004 at 07:58 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Certifications don't mean crap. OK, maybe a little. It all comes down to attitude. It appears from your post that you expect this job. You will never get it if you have that attitude. What you said about a career FF getting another career FF a job in three days doesn't make sense to me. But for the most part it is irrelevant. I am a career FF and will be glad to help ANYBODY get a career FF job IF they have the right attitude. This job is not just given to anybody. It is earned through hard work, great attitude, respect for the men and women who have done the job before you, etc. I am proud to be an IAFF firefighter because I feel I have worked hard to earn it. I did not expect to get this thing handed to me on a silver platter. I stayed humble when I started and now I believe I have the respect of my fellow FF's. I've tested for many departments and have been rejected countless times. My thought wasn't "why won't they give me the job" but rather "what can I do to better myself for the next process". And I am no expert but what gets you a career FF job is listed below in order of importance:

1. Attitude
    2. Work ethic, humbleness, Respect for others, etc., etc.
    3. Certificates

Most career FF's I know would take a former cleaner of Donald Trump's toilet who smiled everyday he worked knowing the job needed to be done over anybody who thinks they are God's gift to firefighting.

And these were all thoughts in my head before I read Captain Gonzo's post above mine. Captain Gonzo is a well respected FF here and I believe he has figured out your problem and pointed it out to you in his own subtle way.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. You got me caught in a subject I take to heart. I look forward to any replies.

As always, IMHO.

Forum Member

Part 2

Sorry I got caught up in my first post. Let me address your other concerns.

another career ff asked him the same question a few days later(he didn't know i was around the corner)and he told him to come up and he would get him a job. he was hired three days later.
    I don't understand this. You need to elaborate. Usually there are lengthy hiring processes that need to be followed. Not three days and you switch from one career dept. to another. But I could be wrong.

everyone wants a medic card but don't understand i have to work to pay bills. medic class is a full time thing from what i hear. i mean come on is a basic not good for anything but a transporter anymore?
    Not everyone wants a medic card. Most departments I know may give preference to those being medics but is not necessarily a prerequisite. Instead of "hearing" about medic class being full time, why don't you check into it yourself.

i want to advance but no one will help. if anyone can give me advice i would appriciate it.
    It's hard to help those who won't help themselves. I think a lot of the info you posted is misinformation and if you did a little studying on it you might be pleasantly surprised. (If it is accurate info than my apologies although I'm not the one that needs to prove it here).

Anyway, I will let other people comment now.

i appriciate your replies. i have a good rep with my dept. people say i have a great attitude and i know my stuff. i may just have the bad apple career ff around me but that's life. i live in ohio and there are not any job listings that i can find. i go to stations and talk to chiefs but they say they are not hiring. my department i am on now wants to send me to medic class but i am worried about it. that once again is a personal problem. i don't expect anything to be handed to me. i enjoy earning my places. i smiled ear to ear for a week when i got my Lt position. i pick ff cause i love to work. i still get excited more than everyone else. but i still feel the fear. ohio has been doing a lot of layoffs so i have been thinking about going out of state. but i love my vollie dept.

i don't know how to explain the ff getting the other ff that job so quick. i just know what i see and hear.

I love listening to my chief tell stories from his paid dept. it makes me want it so much more. do you know if the internet would assist me in acquiring a fire job? i will do what it takes to get one.

Forum Member

i appriciate your replies. i have a good rep with my dept. people say i have a great attitude and i know my stuff. i may just have the bad apple career ff around me but that's life. i live in ohio and there are not any job listings that i can find. i go to stations and talk to chiefs but they say they are not hiring.
    I don't know much about Ohio or that region as far as hiring. I do know Covington, KY was recently hiring.

my department i am on now wants to send me to medic class but i am worried about it. that once again is a personal problem.
    Well, becoming a medic is one thing that finally pushed me over the edge to getting hired. But I also love being a medic and understand that it is the vast majority of my job. You have to want to be a medic to actually do it.

i don't expect anything to be handed to me. i enjoy earning my places. i smiled ear to ear for a week when i got my Lt position. i pick ff cause i love to work. i still get excited more than everyone else. but i still feel the fear. ohio has been doing a lot of layoffs so i have been thinking about going out of state. but i love my vollie dept.
    Congratulations on making Lt. Don't take it lightly. As far as going out of state, that's going to be your personal decision. You're going to have to figure out if it's worth it for you. You probably already know that.

I love listening to my chief tell stories from his paid dept. it makes me want it so much more. do you know if the internet would assist me in acquiring a fire job? i will do what it takes to get one.
    Check out www.eatstress.com and www.firecareers.com

These web sites helped me get the job. Captain Bob (eatstress.com) has many valuable tricks, tips and resources to help you "nail the badge". He also posts frequently in the hiring/employment forum here.

firecareers.com is a site you can subscribe to for constant updates on who is hiring around the country. They also have a chat board where people discuss getting the job. It is mainly used by southern California prospects but the info posted is relevant anywhere.

hometownnews.com will get you to the online edition of a majority of newspapers across the country. Select a paper and do a search in their ad section for firefighter jobs. A lot of newspapers use the same system so when you search one you are actually searching a number of newspapers at the same time.

A combination of attitude, education and experience will get you a long way towards your goal. Figure out how to put it all together and you won't be sorry.

Good luck

Forum Member

Default Getting Hired can be Difficult

I can understand stvfd1237 is coming from. From the time I joined my local volunteer company at 18 and served in few communities as a volunteer it took me 15 years to get hired as a full time firefighter. EMT was the biggest downfall - For years I was educated and shown to believe that EMS had no business in the fire service until I had the chance to see a system actually work. - I'm from Southern New Jersey as a Vollie and I work Fulltime in Northern New Castle County Delaware as a F.F./EMT. - Like others said I don't know about Ohio but I can say Northern Delaware is on a hiring binge right now.....Career Personnel here work directly for the Voluunteer Company they are hired by {Must be a non-member to be considered} and with 21 companies in the county it's pretty easy to land a decent job. I found out through a friend who was already working fulltime in one house and part time in another house and he told me of the openings. - I submitted a Resume with qualifications and and was hired about 3-5 days after an interview. - There is no testing process here and we're taken care of pretty well. But the one main thing is that N.R.E.M.T. - B Certification. - F.D.'s across the country need EMS Trained Personnel - My main job at the station I work for is EMS but Fires are taken in as well when low volunteer turn-out occurs. -

Jobs are out there I was the same way believing I would never get on this profession until one day it all came together. Was it chance ? Maybe but if you want it bad enough you'll get there

i think it must just be ohio not hiring. i have thought about going out of state but the brings up another issue. all my certifications are for ohio. i am not sure if any of them will carry over to another state. some people tell me they will to a degree. maybe i will just join the army. i don't know. i appriciate all the responses i got here.

Forum Member

Refer to the thread I started on the firefighters forum entitled Paid and part time. That would explain why its hard to get a job in some places around Chicago.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

In this instance I am saying GOnzo hit it on the head !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

LOL, Gonzo

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    I think your answer is right here.... you have answered your own question...twice!

Posted by stvfd1237 on the volunteer forum

and here...

[/B]
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

former FH.com member

Lightbulb I'm just going to be honest here...

stvfd1237...it's sounds like your "bad apple" career guy has you pegged as a "whacker". No one wants to work with a whacker for the duration of a 30yr career. Your reputation means a lot in this business and precedes you wherever you go. Just something to think about. -46

Forum Member

I'm not sure if someone has said this here or not, but a lot of it has to do with where you live and where you're willing to work. I grew up in south Florida where firefighter jobs are few and far between and almost every department will only look at firefighter/paramedics. EMT's unfortunately have been left out in the cold. Recently though I moved to north florida where I found the job market to be much more flexible. I would image that most states are the same in that location plays a big part in where the need for firefighters is, and what qualifications the depts are looking for.
    IAFF - Fire/EMS

the "bad apple" career guy (let's call him danny)told me that non union FFs don't deserve a union (that is what he calls professional)position. Which i find screwy because he was non union once.

I am willing to relocate. i have even looked at other states. the only problem there is most states want you to have a valid state ems card and driver's license at the time of appointment. i am nr but that doesn't mean much if i have to challenge that state's test.
    Say a prayer for our fallen brothers.
    Say a prayer for our fallen sisters.
    Say a prayer for all of us.
    God bless.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you are not looking hard enough. I know of at least 2 city departments near where I work that require no ff or ems training, including the one I work for. The thing is that both are civil service and require being on a list. My advise is to apply to every department there is, take all the entrance tests you can, and then be patient. There were over 300 take the last test for my department and we will take 2 now, maybe a few more later, in the 2 years the list is good.

Thread Information