Thread: extremly upset

Default extremly upset

Hi everyone this is my first time actually posting but I do read the majority of the posts and think this site is excellent. I was wondering if iu could possible get some options on the matter that I am so angry about. I went to school for FF and graduated with honours, I then enrolled myself in a paramedic program and was hired by a fire dept. before I had the chance to complete the program. I have my technicians in all specialty rescues and a lot of volunteer work under my belt

I have been a full time ff for over a year now and have just had my performance appraisal done of which i received excellent feedback on my performance over the year. I recently applied to my hometown fire deptartment in green bay. I thought I had an excellent shot at at least getting an interview but found out today that I was not successful in obtaining an interview and am out of the process. I had my heart set on this and figured with my qualifications I would ahve at least got an interview the only thing I can think of that is going against me is that I am only 21...I don't know

What do you guys and girls think any option would be greatly appreciated....

thanks

Forum Member

Default Test, Test, Test

The Call Doesn't Come.

It's probably not your age unless you made an issue of it somewhere along the way.

The letter arrives informing you that you are out of the process. Youíre devastated. You donít know why. You want to know. Maybe thereís something you can do, someone you can talk to convince them youíre the guy they need; there has to be a mistake. Just give me a chance to prove myself. Your calls go unanswered.

What do you do now? You feel hurt, angry, frustrated and betrayed. Well, there is not much you can do. If you push too hard you might hurt your chances of getting on somewhere else. Even if you are able to get someone to talk to you, you probably will never really find out why. It just happens sometimes for whatever reason.

My advice. Go through the denial, anger, and depression. Lick your wounds and accept what happened. Then, regroup and get back out there and test again. Consider completing your paramedic cert. to be a more viable candidate. If you made it this far, chances are you can do it again. Maybe with a better department than you hoped for.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 04-09-2004 at 10:44 AM.

Forum Member

Default Every Fire Department is Different

Sorry about your situation, I've had the same thing happen to me. You just have to realize that each fire department is different. I took the exact same fire test in two different cities and passed one and not the other. . . the same darn test!

Just keep tring, don't get mad.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Nothing hurts in calling the HR or personnel people and asking why you are out... you already are already looking at not getting the job, so call them and just ask. Just tell them you are curious as to what went wrong so you can correct it for next time and you're just looking for some specific pointers. Don't get ****y on the phone and be polite, and they'll probably help you out...

Thanks everyone I guess I was just looking for a place to vent...I have called Hr and politely asked what pointers they suggest...we'll see how that goes but I just wanted to write to say thanks....

Hayden

p.s the dept. I work for now is no better or worse its just the one that I was applying to was my hometown deptartment which is where all my families lives and that was my reason for wanting to transfer.
    thnks

FIGJAM

Surely there is an appeals process or at least an oppurtunity to find out why you missed out?

Here in Oz, we can appeal any decision and do have a right to know the shortfall....
    Luke

Default Horse race

Candidates who call seeking answers are often a trigger point for most recruiters. For every one who is respectful there are twenty who may start out fine but quickly demand some satifaction. They ask of things which are simply a bad idea to discuss with hurt, angry people. People who for the most part will only hear what they want to hear anyway. The cost is to high with no benifit on the part of a department. An analogy I have used to explain why candidates at times fall out of a process for which they feel very qualified for, goes as follows. Think of a competition as a very large horse race. In a campaign style process this race can be so big that many of the fastest horses can't get to the front of the pack. In fact some nags finish well in front of some faster horses. Now those trailing candidates want answers from someone. A recruiter, who can't give them a reason other then, "well today you were to slow!" How do you give that answer with compassion so the candidate can keep their dignity? All a recruiter is left with is a person who feels like you are being arogant, so they get mad. No one wins that game or learns anything useful. The difference between persevering ( a good thing ) and persistence/hounding is subtle. One of the failings of a campaign style process is the lack of time most recruiters have to offer feedback for candidates. Also the reality of the situation is that most of the people recruiters deal with are going to receive very bad news at the end of the day. Do the math, two thousand applications, fifty jobs. Giving bad news sucks the life out of you. Sometimes it is better to just not go there. The truth is most departments need to spend their time and resources on positive things for which they can show a result.

Thread Information