Default New to exploring

Hi everyone we are starting an explorer post at my station and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas or tips to make it successful.Thanks in advance

Forum Member

Default New Post

Be more specific that would help us give you better feedback.

C Fisher
    Firefighter / EMT

Forum Member

well i can give u some basic pointers to help you with the transition:

first off, act professional. do not use the department as social hour. show that you are there to help and learn and assume a vital role as a member of the company.

secondly, organize the post as best as possible from the start. it's much harder to RE-organize once the post is underway. by this, i mean set up the post to have an officer (captain/lt.) who is "in charge" during trainings and such and also someone to cover the administrative end of the post. have them make sure there is a list of all the members and contact info; post it in the station. have them make explorer reports for the calls. include info like a regular station report (address, households name, type of call, times), but also make sure to include what explorers were on the call and what jobs were performed.

next, set up specified training days just for the explorers. at my station this is sunday at 13:00. teach basic tasks that can be expected of an explorer on a call (if you do respond to calls). teach about throwing ladders, hitting hydrants, stabalizing vehicles, etc. obviously make sure the explorers know how the department works, the officers, and such.

finally, find a firefighter in the department to oversee the post. it is important to have a firefighter on your side you will help the post through any issues with the dept. have someone to show you how things work and to help you in trainings. make sure this person has experience and is there to help, not just babysit.

well i guess thats all i got for now...some more specific questions would help with any further responses...

I agree with a lot of the points made: but I would get a couple of Firefighters, so if one is not avaialble or capable for some reason, then you have got more to help.

All those things, such as, professionalism, giving respect to everyone, doing what your told, helping out in any way. Doing what you can and having a positive attitude are great, and lead to respect. A key factor in having success within your own dept.

Retention of Explorers - That can be hard, esp. in the land of Boys Scouts, who regulate Explorers a lot more then any other form of youth programs, but the insurance thing counterbalances, thats a whole other argument. Retention can consist of doing interesting training that Explorers can do, get them into the state instructed classes as soon as you can. Another thing is non-firematic benefits. With all the money we have earned, we are taking a trip to an amusement park. Its possible too that some courses can be supplemented for college credit, im not 100% on that, but I have heard a lot of talk about it.

All the mixtures of what I have said, what everyone else is saying is the key to a successful Explorer Post. Congrats on starting up a new post by the way.
    Last edited by MFDExplorer51; 04-09-2004 at 07:53 PM.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Exclamation Warning: rant mode

Having explorer meetings at separate from the department will probably help to reduce problems.

Set rules with specific guidelines stating EXACTLY what can't and CAN be done.

Plan ahead! Explorers with nothing to do get in the way and **** off the department.

Enforce the rules consistently. Loose the troublemakers.

Explorers are not a maid service. Yes we are willing to help but don't give us a mop and flop on the couch eating donuts.

Be a good role model. Nothing worse than a post whose members are more mature than the advisors.

Let the group make some of the choices. You will quickly loose interest if the post is herded around like cattle.

You can't be a friend and an authority figure.

Default thank you

Thanks everyone!!! We have another explorer post helping us out possibly the largest post in our area. They have said all the same things you guys said we have 6 months of training planned mostly hands on stuff to keep interest. we have uniforms and although we are strictly volunteer myself and the other advisor are wearing them (monkey see monkey do). Thanks again

If you would like to ask any questions please feel free to email me at Trauma44004@hotmail.com
    Tell me I forget,Show me I remember, Involve me and I understand.

Trauma44004
    EMT-B/Fire Fighter/Explorer Program Director

Plymouth Twp. Fire Explorers
    http://www.ptfdexplorers.org
    Plymouth Twp. Fire/EMS Explorers
    http://www.ptfdexplorers.org

Thread Information