Thread: Boots

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Boots

Anyone know of any good wildland boots that would be good for both station wear and fire use? Currently using red wings...:
    Jonesy
    Fail to plan. Plan to fail.

FL EMT-B
    FL State Firefighter
    Pro Board Firefighter
    Career Firefighter
    Local 2103

MembersZone Subscriber

I have Whites and I really like them. It depends on your feet. Whites boots have a really high arch that bothers some people.

Forum Member

I use whites as well, but some like the lace to toe made by whites, or go nicks.
    But spend the $$$ and your feet will be happy

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree about spending the money. Last summer was my first year with Whites, and I got no blisters all summer. They were expensive but they last for a few years, and you can get them rebuilt and resoled.

The only problem I have had with my Whites was them stretching when they got wet. We spent several days in the rain on a fire and by the end my boots were pretty stretched out. Now I can't get them snug like before, so I had to put insoles in. But I still really like them and have not had any other problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

I've been using the WHite Smokejumper for 13 years. I've been on my second pair for about 6 years now. Keep them greased and they won't stretch. One problem though, you can't wear them in the station. NFPA 1500, and some states safety standards for their firefighters also require steel toe boots for their on-duty firefighters. Of course, you can't use steel-toes on wildland fires.

I use my steel-toe zip ups in the station, and keep my whites in my gear bag on the engine.

If you can find a boot that wears like a white and is approved by NFPA for station use, let us all know!

Forum Member

I don't know NFPA of the top of my head for station boots, but if the only difference is the steel toe, Wesco and Whites both offer steel toes as an option in their boots.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Thread Information