Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question FDNY Medical Questions

What kind of physical condition are you guys in??? Not being a jerk but would like to know how I shape up, meaning for the physical...I am 6'1" and 220 lbs. and am athletic. Just trying to see how much harder I need to push myself. Any type of help would be appreciated thank you. Also, how were the other tests, the eye, hearing, etc???

MembersZone Subscriber

NOFEAR

its not so much your size its how good in shape *cardio* wise you are...im 6'1 and 190 and i run at least a mile and a half 4 days a week, and i BARELY passed the stair climbing part of the medical....so if you lift and are a strong guy, great, but that isnt going to help you in the medical...its all endurance and having a healthy heart so my advice is get on the treadmill, stairmaster, or whatever you need to use and start building up b/c it is a killer...even if you know you can physically do the time on the machine, if your heart is over its target for your age, you fail regardless.....as for the rest of the medical, its all basic stuff...you just go from room to room until you finish (takes about an hour)...hope this helps you, any other questions just post em and ill try to answer best i can...good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

I was running 4-6 miles at a 10 min/mile pace about 5 days a week when I was training for the treadmill. And I was also at the gym doing the stairmaster for another 30-60 minutes. Do whatever it takes!

Best of Luck

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Nofear:

I haven't taken the physical yet -- haven't gotten any word... but, for me, I'm about 6'2 and weigh about 190. I work out 6 days a week, 3 days weight/cardio and 3 days just cardio. I've been working out a couple of years, but in Jan 2003 I decided I wanted to make sure I would pass the Physical test, so I went to FDNY Capt. Mike Stefano's site: firefightersworkout.com and got a custom workout plan, and have been following it since (with some modifications over the last 16 months). At any rate, I'm pretty sure I can nail the heart rate when I get the call if the monitors on the treadmill/stairmaster at the gym I go to are acurate.

I'll tell you though, I weighed 238 in college though, and whatever happens with trying to get this job, one bennefit from all of this is that I will always be grateful for is that I'm in the best condition I've ever been.

My advice is to check out Capt. Stefano's site, or talk to someone to help you get a plan and start working out now. Think of it as investing in your future career anyway -- you don't want to have a heart-attack while responding to a five-alarmer in the bronx...

Jim

Thread Information