Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Fire Academy Questions?

Hello,

I've been working in a warehouse since I graduated High School in 97, I'm 25 now and want a change. I've always been interestd in firefighting so that is what I've been looking into.

I live in Dallas and I recently found a Fire Academy that trains people to be a firefighter. It's not associated with any department, it says they give you the necessary training to pass the Texas Commision on Fire Protection cetification.

Has anyone gone this route and then been hired by a department? It's alot of money so I don't want to go through it and then not be able to get a job anywhere.

If you have any more specific questions I can try to answer them, to help with any advice.

Thanks,

CL Timmons

Forum Member

Default Fire Academy

My first question would be are there any volunteer departments around you? If so that is the route that i would go for right now. If you go the volly way you will be able to get the training at a lessor cost and get some expirience of firefighting. Once you get the training you will be able to probably take the test for the department and if you do well you will be able to take the physical test and if you pass that more than likely they will put you through their academy.

C Fisher
    FIrefighter / EMT

I live right in the middle of the DFW area, so I'm not sure of any volunteer departments. Will any department just take volunteers? Maybe out in the more rural areas, but I would think they would want you to live close by.

MembersZone Subscriber

You are choosing a route taken by most. There are a lot of places who will hire you but the competition is steep. You must be willing to go anywhere who will hire you and then possibly attend a recruit school all over again. The volunteer route will not save you that much because of the time you will have to commit. 2 to 3 hours of training a week with the occasional 8 hour Saturday adds up slowly and they all have to be in the right categories. So go to recruit school and test everywhere possible. Maybe after recruit school you could join a volunteer dpartment so you can put your new skills to good use and develop some experience. Good luck.

well for me, i joined the local volunteer dept, and they are gone pay for all my traning, on Fire Fighter I, and i am gone take all the test for paid dept, and get in the list,,

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Academy

This is not uncommon. As someone said, there are not many volly depts around Dallas, but look to some of the outlying areas for possible departments.

Another option is to use an online academy. I do not encourage this for someone in your position (no experience). But for some one with some time in, this is a great option. The only one that I of that is done in Texas (and acceptable to the commission) consists of weekly assignments as well as a two week "Boot Camp" to cover all the practical stuff.

Knowyourole

It is not impossible to start at your age to get certified and get a job with a department in Texas. My husband was just started with a department in January in the metroplex and he is 29. He went to a local community college and received his state certification within the past year. It takes dedication. Are you planning on staying in the DFW area? I believe TCJC has an academy. You might want to start with them. You will also want to check on the EMT-B program. If you are near the Cleburne area, Hill College has a training facility there. Garland, Ft. Worth and a few other metroplex departments put you through their own training to certify you. You might want to check their web sites for employment information.

I could go on and on about this only because we just went through this same thing.

If you need any iformation, I would be glad to help.

Here are a few sites to help you out.

http://www.fwfd.net/employment.htm
    Ft. Worth is not currently hiring, but you need to just keep checking back.

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp
    This lists departments in the state that are hiring.

http://www.ci.garland.tx.us/Home/Dep...es_Landing.htm
    There is a job interest link that you can enter you information in and they will inform you of their next testing dates.

http://www.texasfirefighter.com/TX_FD_LINKS.htm
    Links to several departments.

In the metroplex getting a job with a fire department is competitive, but it can be done. Majority of the departments require you to already have your certification before applying. Like I said before it takes dedication and also a lot of determination.

I would think that going to a community college and getting a fire science degree and/or emt certification would help you get a job. Maybe not directly but would have some weight over someone that had nothing going in. Once you did get hired it would help you move up the ladder for promotions.

Being not that familer with Texas or the like I am sure there are some volunteer department in that state that would need members.

Back here in the East there are plenty of volunteer department seeking additional members.

Forum Member

Default Experience

One of the advantages of going through an academy is you gain hands on experience that can demonstrate to a department that you have the skill set to complete their academy. Many departments also like to see your EMT because that will shorten the lenght of the academy. Consider these:

Will attending the academy allow you to gain skills?

Can you put on your application and resume you have an academy?

Can you say in your oral board you have completed an academy as part of your answer what have you done to prepare for the position?

Is the $$$ you will spend to attend the academy an investment in a career?

Remember though no matter what credentials you acquire if you can't present that package in the proper way in an oral board you will still never see a badge! Because:

"Nothing counts til you have the badge . . . Nothing!

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

There is a fire academy in Kilgore Texas. Its about 3 hours from Dallas Texas. Thats where i went to school. The price was reasonable too. I'm now working full time in B.C. Canada (actually quite a few Canucks have gone to school there.)

I hope this helps

Firedog21

Forum Member

Default Your training decision .....

You should be looking for IFSAC certified Online Firefighter Bootcamp. It's their complete online/two week course: Firefighter 1 + 2, Hazmat Operations and Awareness. I'm transferring the TrainingDivision course for $1500 because I have to get surgery for my shoulder. Original cost of the program is $2,570 (including book)

Remember anyone looking to be in an overseas firefighter in Italy, Germany, Spain, Ecuador, Kuwait, Afghanistan and Iraq must have official certification through an accredited agency such as IFSAC.

Jerry
    contact info: icemanzx2@yahoo.com

Thread Information