Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Preferred motor oil

I am the maintenance officer for a small volunteer fire department. For the life of our trucks, which is only about 8 years, I have used Chevron Delo motor oil. Recently, our mechanic told us we should start using Shafer brand oil. The reasons he cited were: Better overall lubrication in an engine that accumulates more hours than miles, He also stated that we would be able to go longer between oil changes.
    Does anyone have any knowledge, or experience using this brand of oil? If so let me know, I would like more info, based on experience, before I spend the extra money on a product
    Thank you.

FIRST OF ALL I HAVE RUN DIESEL EQUIPMENT MY ENTIRE LIFE. I HAVE USED SHAFER OILS AND PRODUCTS. WE HAVE USED ROTELLA 15W-40 FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS. THE REASON WE RUN ROTELLA IS COST DRIVEN. I CAN BUY A 55 GALLON DRUM FOR 262.00. THE SHAFER OIL WAS MUCH MORE EXSPENSIVE. THEY CLAIM YOU CAN EXSTEND SERVICE INTERVALS WITH THEIR OIL. WE HAVE NEVER DROPPED OUR SERVICE INTERVALS. MY PERSONAL SEMI TRUCK W/ A CUMMINS WAS IN FRAME OVERHAULED LAST YEAR WITH 681,000 MILES ON IT. THE FRONT ENGINE COVER CRACKED AND HAD TO BE REPLACED. WHILE THIS REQUIRED HALF OF THE WORK TO INFRAME ANYWAY WE WENT ON AND HAD IT DONE. THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF YOU STAY WITH A QUALITY OIL (SUCH AS DELO) AND DO YOUR PREVENTIVE MAINT. ON A TIMELY SCHEDULE YOUR MOTORS WILL LAST AS LONG AS THE REST OF THE TRUCK. WHAT ARE YOU ACTUALLY SAVING BY EXSTENDING INTERVALS? IF YOU ARE LIKE THE VOLUTEER DEPT. I WAS ON THE TRUCKS NEVER GET THE HOURS OR MILES THAT WOULD WARRANT A CHANGE. I CHANGED THE OIL EVERY 3 MONTHS AND WAS NEVER CLOSE TO THE ENGINE MANUFACTURES RECOMENDATIONS FOR HOURS OR MILES. WE COULD HAVE GONE TO SIX MONTH INTERVALS AND STILL BEEN WITHIN THOOSE LIMITS. THE OLDEST TRUCK THEY STILL HAVE HAS OVER 100,000 MILES ON THE MOTOR. IT IS AN 83 IH CLASS A PUMPER. IT HAS WORKED ITS TAIL OFF AND HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR AN ENGINE PROBLEM.(BEFORE THE DAYS OF COMPUTER CONTROLLED MOTORS). LOOK FILTERS ARE CHEAP AND THE OIL YOU ARE USING IS IN THOUSANDS OF OVER THE ROAD TRUCKS AS WE SPEAK. I WOULD BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A BIGGER PROFIT MARGIN FOR YOUR MECHANIC BEFORE I WOULD BELIEVE SHAFFER IS ANY BETTER THAN DELO. ON ANOTHER NOTE THE CAREER DEPT. I WORK FOR USES THE SAME OIL IN ALL OF IT'S EQUIPMENT. EC UNITS, ENGINES ,AERIALS, AND YES THE SUBUBANS AND CHIEFS CARS GET IT TOO. THE EC UNITS ARE CHANGED ONCE A MONTH AND THE BIG STUFF EVERY THREE. OUR EMS UNITS AVERAGE 12-15 CALLS A DAY AND WILL USAULLY RACK UP 20,000+ MILES A YEAR. BOTH OF THESE ARE FINE OILS IN MY OPINION. I WOULD STAY IN THE MANUFACTURES RECOMENDATIONS AND TAKE THE THE MOST ECONOMIC OF THE TWO. IF VOLUTEER DEPTS. THERE ARE AS STRAPPED FOR FUNDING AS THEY ARE HERE THIS IS AN EASY DECISION. I HOPE THIS WILL HELP. I RUN A FARMING OPERATION AND HAVE TURNED WRENCHES AS A FF MECHANIC ON BOTH OF THESE DEPTS. STAY SAFE AND GOD BLESS.

Forum Member

Schaeffer's (I think that's how it is spelled) is a top of the line oil to be sure. It used to be that Schaeffers was one of the few oils that had moly in it. (Moly is a highfaluten metal-metal wear preventer like zinc only better. It was hard to get it to stay in suspension but I guess they figured it out recently.) However, guess what...recently Delo was reformulated to include moly as well. Delo has always been ahead of the curve as far as technology and quality go. Additionally, it is very easy to find.

FWIW, I run Delo oils in everything and have for some time.

Birken

Default obscure ..................but none the less

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Stay with Delo 400 or Rotella both super high
    detergent oils with excellent additive packages.

10 million truckers can't be wrong.

Drive on

Bill

Thread Information