FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default What do you think?

"The truth of the matter is, you're never off duty," the mayor added. "You always represent those you work with."

NYC MayorBloomberg

What do you think?
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Default Re: What do you think?

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    "The truth of the matter is, you're never off duty," the mayor added. "You always represent those you work with."

NYC MayorBloomberg

What do you think?
    Well..part of the statement is true...we are what we are..on the other hand..if we are never off duty..then we are owed a boatload of overtime!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd say it applies to more than just firefighters.

What was the context?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Off Duty member DWI. (he was on vacation in another state) Young member 2 years on made a mistake and our commissioner what's him fired. This comes from all the BS with the press and our Mayors statement. In this kids case no one was hurt and no property damage.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Question High Standards

Dose the mayor believe he, and all his other political cronies should be held to the same high standards?

Don't get me wrong. DWI is a serious offense, at home or on vacation. I've been hit twice by those ***** holes. He should pay the penalty as any one else would. BUT, he should not be punished at work for anything more then what the current FDNY SOP/SOGs are.

Is their a clause in their SOP/SOGs, that all FDNY personal must maintain a drivers license at all times?
    Be kind to fire fighters. Please don't let your dogs use fire hydrants.

Forum Member

E40, is there some type of oath that all new recruits take when they get hired? Is there a link to it somewhere that I could see it? Curious as to what it says.

For the record, I am volunteer and have had a member or two get DWI's. I can't fathom how they could do such a thing, but that's another point. We did not drop them from membership, we did not even suspend them. They did lose truck driving priviliges though. I don't agree with trying to get the guy fired, unless it is in the rule book somewhere.

Bikefire, a politician is never off-duty, they lie 24x7.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

In a way the Mayor is right. We are never really off duty because of our recall procedures. But I dont know if he meant it in that context. I know that if you get arrested or in trouble off duty it always makes the paper and gives us a black eye. Which sucks. So in reality, we are always affiliated with our job. But on the other hand, what we do on our off time should be our own business, not the city's. That should account for something. It should not be a reason for firing.

Forum Member

As already posted, the statment does hold some truth. I hate to see guys in "job" shirts out and about acting like buttheads brining disgrace to the people they are associating themselves with while wearing the shirt. Also in many places more people will know who you are or what you do than you might think. I feel that drinking and driving is something that should not taken lightly, not to say that I haven't done it before or I am above being judged for that. That being said I can see no grounds for anything more than is written in FD and city handbooks. Now if it is written somewhere that a DUI is grounds for termination than maybe the person involved should have used better judgement. I feel that counseling and a probation period would be a better route to go, but than again I'm no politician trying to crucify someone to make myself look better. It realy is a touchy situation, if I recall right a Philadelphia big wig with the transit authority recently got a DUI in a company car. Have not heard a thing about it since the intial incident I'm not suggesting favoritism however it would be interesting to see the final outcome, I have a pretty good idea what it would be if he was a lower level civil servant.

Forum Member

what we do on our off time should be our own business, not the city's
    or the unions? (sorry, had to throw that in)
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

It all depends on the rules of the department. We have to maintain a DL. To my knowledge a guy would not be able to work until his license was back, but he wouldn't get fired if it was the first time.
    It does look bad for us, how many fatal DUI mvc's do we go to? We should know better.

In your case has anyone with two years on been arrested for DUI? if he didn't get canned then the union should fight for him because a precedence has been set.

Forum Member

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    Off Duty member DWI. (he was on vacation in another state) Young member 2 years on made a mistake and our commissioner what's him fired. This comes from all the BS with the press and our Mayors statement. In this kids case no one was hurt and no property damage.

Do you guys have a drug and alcohol policy? Is there any mention in it, or in your contract, for helping the individual with the problem? Politicians are usually pretty good about giving lip service to wanting to help us, but when it comes time to take action, they think nobody heard or remembers what they said.

We don't have the rank of engineer in our department, so everyone is trained to drive and pump, even though some of us haven't driven in years, except for drills. But we're all *insured* to drive, so if anyone has anything happen (such as a DUI) that would cause our insurance premium to go up (and a DUI conviction even off-duty will do this) they base their retaliation on their having to pay the higher cost of insurance.

Do you guys have any sort of 'morals clause' anywhere that specifically lays out what is acceptable behavior and what's not?

I'm just tossing a few things out for you to think about.
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

Forum Member

When I joined the job I had to sign a certificate that said that I was an officer of the crown (or queen I cant remember which) An as such was to consider myself always on duty etc. etc. Seems a bit archaic, but I see the Mayor's point to people who know you, you do represent the community, on or off duty.
    Last edited by Smoke20286; 04-18-2004 at 08:10 PM.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

To go along with MEck51 I think that your always representing your department, and should always act as though u are on duty. And if you are wearing your "job shirt" or uniform dont make an *** of your self....lol

Thread Information