Thread: st. louis

MembersZone Subscriber

Default st. louis

hey, my friend is here with his panties in a knot about st. louis' last hiring process in late fall of last year. anybody know anything? he needs to know if they've hired, how many they hire per class, when the next class starts, etc. let me know if any of you have heard anything. thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im on the list for St. louis too. I also have a very close friend on the job there.

This is what Ive been told....

St. Louis is going thru a MAJOR budget crunch.

The chief wanted to put on a class of 30 this month, but has been put on hold until July at the earliest.

Supposedly they went thru the top 34 already to prep this class.It is my understanding ALL city employees (EMS, street dept, forestry dept, etc.) who took the test are placed on the top of the list since they get priority in hiring. I have no idea how many city workers are on the list. Judging by where I ranked, not too many.

They are tossing the idea around of shutting 2 pumpers down. This frees up 8 FFs/shift. This is far from a done deal, but its worth paying attention to.

There is speculation of another class this fall and/or this time next year. The proposed budget states they want to put 80 on this coming fiscal year. It is my understanding there has been as few as 20 and as many as 50 in a class.

Where did your 'friend' rank at? I could probably give him some kind of idea what his chances are. If he is in the top 50 his chances are pretty good to get on before the list expires.

Does he live in the STL area or does he live in another region?

Id appreciate it if you find any info out to pass it along. I will do the same. Even though Ive been a paid FF for over 10 yrs., STLFD is my dream job. Im on the edge of my seat.I want the job so bad I could taste it.

stay safe,

fieldseng2

MembersZone Subscriber

Default stl

thanks, i'll pass on the info and let you know what i here. i think he ranked 106 and felt that wasn't high enough to have favorable odds. i agree. i work in kansas city, so we hear a little buzz from our baby sis' down I-70. times have been pretty mean to the city financially. hell, i never thought i'd see the day when kc was bigger than st. louis, much less wichita or tulsa, but white flight is a powerfull (and pitiful) force. what can you do...?anyway, i'll let him know the (bad) news and i'll drop you a line if i here anything down here.

MembersZone Subscriber

If he ranked 106, he still may have a shot at the title...I was told on 'average' they go thru around 120-130 people on a list.

Here are a couple sites to see whats going on in stl. :

www.stltoday.com (Post Dispatch)

They are pretty good at publishing stories about whats going on with city government and services

http://stlouis.missouri.org/

This is the City's web site. Very little info is posted on the FD pages, but read the "City Journal" published every Tuesday, the "Newsgram" published once a month, and ypu can also read the proposed budget for the year. It even shows how many recruits they 'would like' to hire this fiscal year (July04-June05).

Thread Information