Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Certifications

Default Certifications

We just currently got CPR certified, but there was talk about some of the older memebersof the group being able to go and get there FF1... i didnt know if there were any other things that we could do... or what has your post done?
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

The way we have done things, some of our Explorers have their Interior Certification (BUT NO ACTUAL INTERIOR ATTACKS IN REAL LIFE, just saving some flared anger from occuring), BLS provider, Ice Water Rescue, etc. etc.

We can become certified on anything as long as it is supervised.

Soon, we will be getting our Extrication Certfication when the class comes around to our batallion.
    IACOJ

All we have is basic CPR without AED. State law in Michigan allows explorers to take cert classes at 16. My post won't let us take the classes. When we ask if we can set up a class the excuse changes every time.

If you can do it, I recommend it.

At the end of this school year I should have MFR, Hazmat ops. and forest service red card.

Well anyone can get CPR,First Aid and AED here....MFR you must be 19 to take that class because of provincial laws and the fact your liability is through the same Group the ambulances are with...

We can take our Basic Forest Fire Suppression course..Which i took as a Junior...We can take level I at age 16 as long as we are accompanied by a senior FF.....HAZMAT Awareness level is a part of this class...HAZMAT Operations is a Requirement for Level II
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that some of the classes, like AVET and FF1 and FF2 and all that cannot be applied until we are out of the Explorers.

IACOJ

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

Juniors in my area can only get a few state certs.

Most of them can be attained through the Fire Academys Junior Firefighter program.

I just took the class and passed it.

I now have my HazMat Awareness and HazMat Ops certs. I'll be going through a CPR class during the summer. Also, completing the Junior class puts me in a priority for the FF1 class.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

For my dept's explorer post we will get them CPR certified (it now includes AED), First Responder certified, and run them through our dept's recruit program (basically FF 1, but no state cert). In Mass you have to be an appointed member of an FD to go through most of the programs at the academy and since the FF 1 and FF 2 tests have live fire aspects for certification (along with written and non-fire practicle)explorers could not get certified.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

In the state of Ohio at age 18 you can recieve your EMT-B and FF-1, the state is working on a Emergency Medical Assistant certification for those under 18, focused at Explorers, juniors etc.
    Tell me I forget,Show me I remember, Involve me and I understand.

Trauma44004
    EMT-B/Fire Fighter/Explorer Program Director

Plymouth Twp. Fire Explorers
    http://www.ptfdexplorers.org
    Plymouth Twp. Fire/EMS Explorers
    http://www.ptfdexplorers.org

Northborough Post 25 is allowed to obtain any certifications that we feel like obtaining and the only restrictions that we have are 1 age and 2 we can't go interior. but we have 2 that are ff1,2 certified and about 5 of us are either EMT-B certified or awaiting the state test. Before we can ride on the ambulance we must be at least CFR-D and CPR for the healthcare provider. But now this wont be a problem because myself and a couple other firefighters recently became cartified to teach AHA CPR to all levels from heartsaver to Healthcare Provider. Everyone is still active and some have other classes at the MA Fire Acadamy.

now to clarify myself before you guys reem me but the members that took the FF1,2 course were NOT sent by post 25 they were sent by another department throught the course. Its kinda complicated their situation. But they will be state certified once the finish their practical exams.
    Last edited by smatt2003; 05-04-2004 at 09:38 AM.
    FF. EMT-B M. Hesek
    Northborough Fire Dept
    Northborough MA

NEVER FORGET DECEMBER 3rd '99

Thread Information